Islanded in a Sea of Stars: Trip Report, Day 7 Part 1

Travel discussion for St. John
ifloat

Islanded in a Sea of Stars: Trip Report, Day 7 Part 1

Post by ifloat »

Trip Report Day 7, Part 1
March 19, 2009

Islanded in a Sea of Stars

We were determined to enjoy our last full day on STJ. I started off this morning brushing my teeth in front of the sink at Bo Atabey, and hating to spit in it because it is so pretty.

Last month, N called the NPS office to make reservations for two for the Reef Bay Trail guided hike, with the boat pickup at the bottom of the hill. She was a little worried because the person taking the reservations didn’t seem to get the fact that there were two hikers. She called to confirm her appointment and make sure the hike was still on a few days before it was time to go, and the lady could find no record of her reservation at all. “Just show up”, she said.

So early on Thursday morning we drove to Cruz Bay and dumped the ladies off at the NPS visitor center. M and I departed to do some exploring.

I wanted to see Salomon beach, but got a little confused about the best place to park to walk to it. So we kept going, rubber necking as we drove along the coast.

After that brief tantalizing glimpse of Hawksnest on day 3, we wanted to go back for a closer look. The parking lot was practically empty as we pulled in. There were a few people on the beach. There was still some mild chop in the water, and the water felt a little cool. We strolled up and down the beach, taking pictures. This is a beautiful beach, and the little tide pool vignettes just fascinated me. Here are some of the images.

Hawksnest, looking left

Anemone

Tide Pool Rock Garden

Late at night, the coral zombies shuffle through the sand. Braaaaiiiiins.

Melted brains.

Chitonscape

I am trying to think of a way to include the word "bosom" in this image title

Snail Maze

Next stop, Francis. The parking lot was full, but we pulled in an empty spot along the drive. There were a few families with small children enjoying the warm, flat spalike waters. Lots of interesting things to see on the beach, and the pelicans were quite amusing.

Francis Beach. Ahh.

Rock Art

Pelicans Rock

Wish I was Here

Seafood Salad

Right side

A nice lady with a bag of lunch meat was trying to lure a stray dog so it could be captured and taken to the shelter. We put our change in the shelter's donation cans whenever we saw them at shops in town. Maybe you would think about doing that too next time you are on island...

I found treasure on Francis Beach. This was the least of it.

Next I wanted to go walk to Waterlemon Cay. M used his veto powers. There was a lot more in store for us that day, but I'm pretty tired and thinking of taking a nap, so there will be a Part 2 for this Day 7 Trip Report.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

A cliff hanger! You're killin' me! :lol:

What's that shiny thing with the $ sign?
lprof

Post by lprof »

:( I am really dreading the next part...unless there is part three, because the end of your journey on St John brings the end of my travels with the ifloat family on a special island. Your writing, photos, and creativity have brought smiles, laughs and invoked many delightful memories. Thanking you again...
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

LOve the reports.

So many beaches, so lil time.

Dave
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

great trip reports.......sounds like you, too, are hooked on stj!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Nice Sunday morning read backed up and read all of them. They definetly got the St John juices flowin can't wait soon come :D Where ya were snapping the pics at Hawksnest of the tidepools make sure ya snorkel that reef next time. The most beautiful elkhorn forest awaits you at the end of the reef, lots of fish too. One of my fave St John snorkels for sure.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

You have a wonderful eye!
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

The shiny $ thing was some fake coin nestled in the debris along Francis beach.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

I have loved reading your trip reports, you are a great story teller!! And the pictures are wonderful, you have a great eye. I was wondering what kind of camera you used??
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

star2515,

Some of the pictures were taken with a Canon A590IS that I picked up for about $100, in a cheap bag-type protective housing to keep the sand out. It's perfectly fine for snapshots like I have shown you here.

The other camera I mainly used is a Canon A720IS. I got that one for less than $200. Very similar, but with a few more features. I had that one in a hard plastic full feature underwater housing. Also fine for snapshots. And it has a very useful macro mode with good autofocus.

After my last actual trip report, I was going to do a little wrap-up where I talked about such mundane things as food, wardrobe, water shoes, cameras etc. Will talk more about it then.
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Wonderful report and photos. We were there 3/15 - 3/27 and visited many of the same spots, but I don't think that we saw you. So glad you enjoyed your trip.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I feel like I got to go with you.....
what an excellent TR.......
perfect!

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Great medley of photos - I love it (I've always been more curious about invertebrates than fish since when I was little :wink: ). I've been enjoying reading your TRs just like many folks here have. Thank you for taking time to post them. You are a gifted storyteller.