What month do you like to go and why?

Travel discussion for St. John
chrisn

What month do you like to go and why?

Post by chrisn »

We have been to STJ twice. Once in mid February and once mid June. I preferred June. The ocean was like bath water (well almost) and I love hot, tropical climates. Mosquitos were the killer though.

Planning another trip for June, but want to know if there are better months to go and why?
jadkins08

Post by jadkins08 »

When will you be there in June? My wife and I are making a return anniversary trip June 13-17. Happy planning.

Jeremy
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We've been 3x, everytime in May. Next trip is going to be over Thanksgiving '07. I am so curious to see the difference.

I've loved May because its not too hot, not too cool and its OFF season. I just can't make myself pay the in season rates. I also like May because its the beginning of the warm-up here in the DC area and I can go and get a head start on my tan for the summer!

Silly reasons, but they work for me. Next year I'll have a kindergartener who will be skipping a few days of school for the November trip, but I am sure it will be ok.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

We usually go in July, mostly because we spent our honeymoon on STJ and we like to revisit on our anniversary, but there are some practical reasons as well. First off, you can't beat the off-season rates for lodging and vehicle rental. Secondly, there are (or used to be) fewer tourists during the off-season, though we've noticed less of a difference over the last few years. Third, the bugs seem to be less of a nuisance - I've only noticed noseeums on the beach at dusk, and have not noticed any mosquitos at all. And last, the water is warmer and, due to lack of Christmas winds/northern swells, tends to be more clear and more calm than at other times.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

the best time in my opinon is when ever I can get there So Sat. is the best for now
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Jeremy, weren't you and your wife there last June around the same time we were? I think we were there the 12th-21st. Too funny if it's the same Jeremy!

I totally agree with you guys about the off season rates. Makes it much easier to get a great villa!

Flip-Flop, don't worry about your kindergartener. College Girl will be 19 next month and Lizard Boy-9 have both been playing hookey from school since Kindergarten. The only year our daughter did not vacation during the school year was her senior year in High School due to some college classes on her schedule.

Hells case, if there are no mosquitos in July, I'm there!!!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We've been in June, July, and October, and loved them all. This year we are going end of May-beginning of June. We choose the off season for a couple of reasons:

1. It is usually not as much of a busy time for John at work;
2. Our anniversary is June 1 and it is nice to be on vacation in a romantic spot then;
3. Most importantly, it is so much cheaper! The villa rates especially. We are able to stay for 2 1/2-3 weeks when we go in the off season. On season, we'd have to go for a lot less time. For the way we like to travel, the off season is a more practical choice.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We like to go at the end of April/beginning of May. Two reasons...it sort of is around our anniversary and the trip is our yearly gift to each other...and because the off-season usually starts at the end of April so that we can get the villa for two weeks at nearly the same cost of one week in high-season.

The island is fairly quiet at this time, which also is to our liking.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

End of June for a couple of weeks.

Carnival STJ time
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I know Promo! The end of our trip was just at start of Carnival last June. I'd really like to hit it better this year. It seems like a good time. Of course anytime is a good time on STJ.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Oh you guys are killing me! I'm about ready to book a place and just say "okay we're going!"
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Early June was perfect! We only had rain once in the middle of the night. (Maybe we were just lucky) :D
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Anytime is what I like. Was in STJ in Dec. and going back the first of Feb. My favorite time though is in the summer. I like to be there for the 4th of July and then meet up with board members in early Aug.
Sailing in January is a little tricky with the Christmas winds. We used to go down the day after Christmas but I find that a little too hectic with the holidays here at home. But if you forced me I would go.
[/url]
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Last year we went the end of May. Weather was perfect for us. Had rain one night, one brief shower during the day we went to Salt Pond. The water was so incredibly calm while we were there and so clear for snorkeling. Francis Bay was like a lake, it was so calm. My hubby loves to snorkel but gets seasick when snorkeling, even if there are just little swells, but we were able to stay out an hour or more with no problem. :D I loved it because I can stay out forever unless I get cold.
I agree with the others about off-season rates and calmer water in off-season. This year we are going April 22 - May 4 because we didn't want to wait so long until the next trip and we could still get off-season rates.
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

We have been in Oct. and got bit up by the sketers. Like to back the first part of May becuase if it has been a dry winter their are way less skeeters and you get the price breaks for summer. Still 4 weeks out from Hurricane season.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.