Need feedback - Horizon II & Long Distance Day Trips

Travel discussion for St. John
Jo Ann - VA

Need feedback - Horizon II & Long Distance Day Trips

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

We are thinking about doing two boating trips this trip. We have three newbies with us and they really want to sail and also do a faster boat.

Can anyone tell me about Horizon II trip to the Baths:
http://newhorizonscharters.com/

and Long Distance sailing trip:
http://www.coralbaystjohn.com/Sailing.htm

Thanks for your help!!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
RickG

Post by RickG »

We kije NH II. It's a busy long day, but you do pretty much see everything, however briefly. The one thing to know is that you do need to swim in from the boat to the Baths - one our friends had never swum that far in his life. He did OK with a PFD, noodle and a helper. The rest of us were fine with our snorkel gear.

Cheers, RickG (Cruz Bay)
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

loved NHII also. Nice trip..nice folks
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Had a great day on Long Distance. Rick and Robin and their little dog were great hosts. We couldn't hit their regular snorkel spots due to weather, but it was a good day. I would recommend.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

NHII - just remember you might end up on one of their other, larger boats. We did the trip at Christmas and had signed up for NHII since it was a reasonably small boat. We ended up on one of their other, much larger boats (16 people versus 30+), which made it not as nice - snorkeling was crowded, lunch took forever, etc. As for the baths, we took a taxi to the Baths; didn't have to swim in. Do have to swim in at the Soggy Dollar. Felt a bit rushed everywhere we went but overall it was a decent trip and we got to see a lot.

I would consider Bad Kitty as an alternative.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We enjoyed the NH Charter...GREAT stops...but I agree with the others...having to swim to shore can be a bit challenging for some people. They provide "noodles" and I believe life preservers...the water was a little rough on our Jost stop...but it was a lot of fun...I would definately consider it.
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

We loved LONG DISTANCE. The only problem was the day went so fast. We liked that there is only room for 6 people and the charge is the same if there is 1 guest or 6. It's a beautiful boat with beautiful people in a beautiful spot. You just can't go wrong.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We enjoyed the NHII charter overall, but felt the boat was a little cramped, and the food at lunch was not very good. But, the snorkeling they took us to (Guana Island) was outstanding, and the Baths were interesting to see. The staff was very friendly. I thought they did a nice job given the packed itinerary.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.