Starfish Market requires an ID with Credit Card

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnRuth

Starfish Market requires an ID with Credit Card

Post by StJohnRuth »

Since there are a lot of nice newbies here, I thought it was worth mentioning this again.
Starfish Market is the only place I know of that requires an ID with a credit card purchase. It can be kind of a nuisance for visitors who are not expecting it. Just a heads up.
- Ruth
augie

Post by augie »

That's why I only shop at St. John Spice!

8)
Come see us!
In the system

Post by In the system »

We noticed that when we shopped there. We thought is was good that they checked. With all the credit fraud it is a good thing. We actually told them thanks for asking.I was a victim of credit card fraud once. They are only doing it to protect you.
Chillin' on the beach with a cold one.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Joshie

Re: Starfish Market requires an ID with Credit Card

Post by Joshie »

Wakey

Re: Starfish Market requires an ID with Credit Card

Post by Wakey »

Joshie wrote:
StJohnRuth wrote:Starfish Market is the only place I know of that requires an ID with a credit card purchase.
Worse yet, every time I go into that joint, they fingerprint me.

-j
Oprah pwned you! :lol:
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

If they do it, they do it. But according to their Merchant agreement, they can't turn you down if you refuse to show ID.

Cardholder ID
"Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder's personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt."
P. 29, Visa Merchant Card Acceptance Policy
In the system

Post by In the system »

They did not ask for any personal information. They just are verifing that the person using the credit card is actually you.
Chillin' on the beach with a cold one.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Yep this is true found out the hard way :o
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

As an aside, and marginally off-topic, the cashier women at Starfish have the longest finger nails I ever have seen.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

"They just are verifing that the person using the credit card is actually you."

I understand. But that's what the signature on the card is for. That's why some places won't accept a charge if the card isn't signed.
AH

Post by AH »

Thanks for the heads up Ruth!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

They always ask me for ID with a CC card at Cost-U-Less in STT - I have a C-u-Less card that brings my name up when they swipe it, -- I go there often enough to know some of the cashiers by name -- they still ask --------- it is a store policy.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I also noticed that in November and they also requires ID in the supermarkets in Virgin Gorda. I think that it's very good and it protect cc frauds. I also enjoy their face expression when they get my Swedish driving licence as they most likely have not seen many of those.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Exit Zero wrote:They always ask me for ID with a CC card at Cost-U-Less in STT - I have a C-u-Less card that brings my name up when they swipe it, -- I go there often enough to know some of the cashiers by name -- they still ask --------- it is a store policy.
Exactly. It is the same for us at Starfish. We are there three times a week and they still ask because it's their job and we expect it. The cashiers are doing what they have been told to do.
I am not trying to start a debate here. I'm just trying to tell people to bring an ID, because often people coming from the beach do not and it's a big hassle for them.
- Ruth
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Ruth, forgive me if I sounded confrontational. I realize that merchants often end up paying the cost of credit card fraud, and this is one way they can fight back. And I appreciate being reminded of Starfish's policy.

I wish merchants paid more attention to security measures already in place. For every instance I've been asked for an ID, there have been 10 occasions when my card was accepted without checking the signature...