help with sand fleas

Travel discussion for St. John
deejayjay

help with sand fleas

Post by deejayjay »

Will be in STJ for our 3rd trip in 28 days. First time to go in Apr. Have always gone in May before. Would love to spend more time in evening walking or sitting on the beach. On previous trips we could not do this because we were eaten alive. Husband used a deet based spray, I used a natural based spray because I can't do deet. But, we were still both eaten alive. Any suggestions, or do we just need to avoid beach side in the evening. We were even eaten into misery when we went to miss lucys for dinner. The mosquitos aren't a big problem, it's those little sand fleas. :shock: :shock:
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Personally, I find that the deet doesn't really seem to help with the sand fleas, and they seem to bite me all the time. Luckily once I get past the initial bite, I don't get very bad welts or itch too much.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

A bartender told me to use Gin on my legs. It also helps stop the itching. I tried it and it worked.
Might want to get a bottle on your next trip. Also when I lived in Florida we used to use Skin So Soft by Avon.

Sandy
RickG

Post by RickG »

Claritin and Cutter Advanced (Picaridin-based).

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I'm with Rick on this one, if Claritin is an antihistamine.
I've taken benadryl the past few trips daily, and for some reason was the only one spared by the no-seeums.
It was either that, or they had already had enough to drink, as my pores oozed rum & beer. :roll:
Smiles-
MJ
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Sorry to say, but nothing works for me excpet leaving the beach when I feel the first bite! I've tried them all, except for the gin. Maybe thats my next attempt!
:wink:
Tracy
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

They eat me alive as well. Get an allergy prescription from your doctor before you go, and start taking it a week before you leave. It works amazingly well. Benadryl works good too but the prescription is top notch. I have tried everything and most trips I am miserable. I also put a towel down on the sand when sitting in my beach chair so my feet/legs are on the towel and not the sand. Then sprayed the towel with 99% deet. I was so much better this trip. I still didn't walk the beach at night. It just wasn't worth it. I might have been okay but I didn't want to chance it. You pick and choose what you can and cannot do.
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

Listerine. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. Works like a charm. But it has to be the original yellow kind.
Linward

Post by Linward »

I have heard that taking Brewers Yeast helps keep them from biting, but figured I was getting enough of that with the beer. A prescription for Hydroxizine (Vistaril or Atarax) really helps with the itching if/when you do get bit (how can such a small bug have such a big bite?). Also, there is a sunburn product that contains Lidocaine in an aloe vera gel that when kept in the refrigerator is VERY soothing to those itchy bites, especially at night. Linward
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I know I have said this before, Band aid brand anti-itch gel is great, I should buy stock in that company. I carry it with me all over St. John. I even offer it to people I see with big red splotches on thier legs.

Sandy
RickG

Post by RickG »

DCphoto wrote:I know I have said this before, Band aid brand anti-itch gel is great, I should buy stock in that company. I carry it with me all over St. John. I even offer it to people I see with big red splotches on thier legs.

Sandy
Yep, Sweet Christine is addicted to this stuff. I think the Claritin (antihistamine) completely obviates the need for the stuff.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Rachelle & Joe

sand fleas

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Hey everyone Thanks for all the great info. !! have not had a real issue in the past with these lil buggers but all info. is good to know !! i like the Gin tip good forever what ails ya ! Hey Rick & Christine have a Great Trip on your last min. TRAVEL !! way to go !! 8)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

cjroyer wrote:Listerine. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. Works like a charm. But it has to be the original yellow kind.
Does the Listerine work as a repellant or is it more an "after bite" anti-itch thing?
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

If I took benedryl daily I would sleep through the entire trip, kind of defeating the purpose.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

stay in the water. :D