Secret Harbour?

Travel discussion for St. John
lavender

Secret Harbour?

Post by lavender »

We are thinking of spending our last night of our vacation at Secret Harbour. What type of room would be best? I see they have a range of oceanfront, beachfront, studios, etc. It will just be my hubby and I. We want a nice peaceful relaxing spot to spend out last night in paradise! What do you think?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Beachfront one bedroom would be my preference. They don't let you request specific rooms in advance, but I think the views are best from the third floor. It is a great spot, very relaxing. they have a nice waterfront restaurant there too--Blue Moon.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
SuefromMA

One Bedroom Beachfront Suite

Post by SuefromMA »

Speaking from experience - you definitely want a One Bedroom Beachfront Suite.

These are in buildings 1, 2, 3 & 4.

The 2 times that we have stayed there we have always requested (& gotten) top floor, building 2. (They actually gave us the same room this past April that we had had the previous year). - We are actually pretty sure that "our room" is one of the ones shown on their website.

We agree with Liamsaunt that the best views are to be found from the top floor rooms. Obviously, the advantage to the bottom floor rooms is that you can walk right out on to the beach - they have small enclosed little patios, as well. As, the 2nd & 3rd floors have balconies. Access to the 2nd & 3rd floors are only via the parking lot side of the buildings.

We have stayed away from building 1 as it is closer to the bar area & lots of foot traffic going to the restaurant & a little more noisy at nite.

Have also heard great things about the views & rooms in Buildings 3 & 4.

You will be happy with any room in the 1 bedroom BEACHFRONT suite category!

Keep us updated!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Is it a walk up to the second/thrid floor? kind of a pain in the butt if you are there for a night or two and have a fair amount of luggage. just wondering. thanks.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That's right, Mary Beth, there are no elevators at Secret Harbour. I think it is worth it though to trek up because the views are so nice.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks, we're really considering this place.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

You really should! It's so relaxing there, the staff is super friendly, it's quiet, the beach is good for snorkeling, Blue Moon has good food...we've been twice, both times in a beachfront one bedroom. The first time we had a "super swanky" room on the third floor of building four, and the second time we were on the second floor of building two. Both rooms were great!
SuefromMA

Luggage

Post by SuefromMA »

Lavender,

Just another note: The staff at Secret Harbour does have a wonderful gentleman who they will gladly call to help you with your luggage - both checking in and checking out.

So - not to worry!

Based on our experience, if you choose Secret Harbour you should definitely enjoy the experience.

(Great snorkeling off the beach - if you haven't picked up on that already. Which most likely you have!)
Bill L.

Post by Bill L. »

liamsaunt wrote:Beachfront one bedroom would be my preference. They don't let you request specific rooms in advance,
We're looking to stay at SH for our next visit to St Thomas. My wife can't do stairs well, she has arthritis.
If I asked for a 1st floor one bedroom would they honor it?
Thanks,
Bill
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Bill, given your situation, I would definitely call the hotel in advance and explain the situation. Politely ask them directly if they will be able to help you or not. I really can't answer your question because I have never asked for any particular style of accommodation.

I do know that when we were checking in last year there was a couple assigned to a third floor room that really wanted to be on the ground floor and they could not accommodate them. I felt so bad, I wanted to ask if they wanted to switch rooms since we were on the second floor, but I also felt that they might be offended if I interjected myself--it was a delicate situation.

The thing is, Secret Harbour is a condo-hotel, meaning that all of the units are individually owned. The management rents out the units when the owners are not on site. Pluses are that you get a homey feel and space, the minus is that for the management, they may not be able to accommodate special requests. If all the ground floor owners are in residence at the same time (unlikely!!), you'd be out of luck. Call them and explain why you need to be on the ground floor, I am sure they will go out of their way to help you.
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

We are staying there May 5 for one night. I got a 1 BR beachfront suite. I filled out the form and emailed it but I haven't heard back from them. I emailed them on Thurdsay the 4th of January. Today is the 8th. I think it will be great for one night.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Thought you were staying there in Nov! Oops. You can ignore my email! :)
Bill L.

Post by Bill L. »

liamsaunt wrote:Bill, given your situation, I would definitely call the hotel in advance and explain the situation. Politely ask them directly if they will be able to help you or not. I really can't answer your question because I have never asked for any particular style of accommodation.

I do know that when we were checking in last year there was a couple assigned to a third floor room that really wanted to be on the ground floor and they could not accommodate them. I felt so bad, I wanted to ask if they wanted to switch rooms since we were on the second floor, but I also felt that they might be offended if I interjected myself--it was a delicate situation.

The thing is, Secret Harbour is a condo-hotel, meaning that all of the units are individually owned. The management rents out the units when the owners are not on site. Pluses are that you get a homey feel and space, the minus is that for the management, they may not be able to accommodate special requests. If all the ground floor owners are in residence at the same time (unlikely!!), you'd be out of luck. Call them and explain why you need to be on the ground floor, I am sure they will go out of their way to help you.
Thank you for the information. Much Appreiciated