"It Was the Best of Times" Newbie TR

Travel discussion for St. John
Islandtripper

"It Was the Best of Times" Newbie TR

Post by Islandtripper »

Just spent five nights on St. John for the first time and loved every minute. We stayed at Gallows Point which was perfect for us as we could walk everywhere at night and we enjoyed the hot tub at night and liked having a "front desk" and convenience store for our short stay. We especially loved the views from our deck.

The first full day we had scheduled a BVI trip but the company cancelled the day before. The little store at Gallows was able to book us for the next morning for the New Horizons trip of the same nature. Our luggage did not arrive until the third day so we were in the shop purchasing toiletries and tees and realized that they could help us with excursions, etc. As I have lost luggage many times (3 days in Jamaica, 2 days in Amsterdam, etc. I carried on a swimsuit, complete outfit for the weather and lipstick) Not much else need on this island much to our delight! We also bought bagels for each morning and ate on our deck with that great view.

Loved the BVI trip. This is our 16th year traveling to an island for 5 days without the kids. We go to a different one each year using free flights. We love to snorkel and look at that blue water!

The boat left in the morning and we visited the baths which were very cool. We ate lunch on another island at a place "Pussers" I think. (Is this the same as the one in Annapolis?) Then we went to a reef off Tortola to snorkel. As I was swimming along the reef, a SHARK swam up and behind me. I. WAS. AMAZED. It was very exciting and a little scary. I know that reef sharks don't harm you but I was in it's home! Still, very cool. Of course my underwater camera was in my luggage which was MIA.

We also went to The Soggy Dollar bar and loved it too. We have always talked about buying a place in Florida when we retire but now I want a boat so we can go to places like this!

It was a great day and we ended it by relaxing in the hot tub and going out for drinks and dinner and talking to other travelers and locals. We wanted to find a beach where we could see turtles. I was determined to see turtles this trip.

For the next three full days, we had a jeep so we could travel around. The first day we went to Hawksnest and Trunk. We loved thoese beaches and the water was clear and warm and we saw lots of sea life. We went to Shipwreck Landing for lunch and I had several bloody mary's so I could survive the drive home on those hills!

The next day, after hearing that there were turtles the day before at Leinster, we went there. No turtles but a great day! We also traveled to Haulover Bay and ate at Skinny Legs. We wanted to watch the Steeler playoff game there that night but we (OK, I) was afraid of the drive back on those roads after a few.

The last full day we spent at Maho. Heard about the turtle spotting the day before. It was a little crowded but as soon as we were knee deep in the water, we saw a baby stingray! Lots of other sea life too. No turtles.
They have a lifeguard as advertised who was very engrossed in his book. We laughed about that. A great beach day. Beautiful!

In the evenings we went to Perdiso, my husband loved it and it's a nice place. Bannanna Deck was delicious. Also at at Balcony, Beach bar, Hightide and stopped at many places for drinks. We stopped at the Beach Bar on Sunday for the forum get together and met nice people but they were not forumites. We didn't know how to find anyone but we only stayed a bit because we had to go watch the big playoff game. We watched at Crackers!!! Good ending.

Well, no turtle sightings on this trip so we will have to come back. We loved the island and were happy that we came. Thanks to everyone for sharing their advice, insight and knowledge of the island because it really made it perfect for us.

I will (hopefully) send a link with photos later.
[/url]
bevm

Post by bevm »

Welcome to the forum and the STJ addiction! Great report and so glad you had a good trip!
I am a Steelers fan, too! Got my #7 jersey ready to go!! So excited and hope they get their 6th Bowl win!! :D :D :D :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

Glad you had a wonderful time :)

I'm confused though by your report of a lifeguard at Maho - no lifeguards there so I'm not sure where you were. Turtles are found - at least I see them everytime I swim Maho - over the grassy area which is just off of the wide "viewing" area of the road just before the bend (if you were coming from Cruz Bay it's where all the taxi's stop so people can take pictures) but never mind there is always next trip :)

Pia
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Another St John addict created it's more addictive than crack and it's not wack :lol: Cheering for Pittsburg today always have cheered for them in their Super Bowl appearences. I'm actually a Bengals fan but we can't make it to a playoff let alone the Super Bowl. Heck we get excited if we can just win a game :cry:
brenda

Post by brenda »

Kirk, At least your home team isn't the Lion's :roll: .
Going "home" again October 26th!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Good point Brenda guess I should be grateful :D Hey at least ya get a great first round pick :lol: See ya in May.
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

Thanks for the TR!

I'm really soaking this all in so I can get some ideas for our first trip in March.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for the TR, I'm glad you had a good time. You covered a lot of territory for a first and five day trip.

How was St. John relative to your other island trips?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
islandchef

Post by islandchef »

Sorry you didn't find your turtles!! Thanks to Pia I went to Maho to find turtles and ever since then I haven't been back without seeing a few there! However by the sound of things you will have more trips to find them!! Welcome!!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Thanks for your report! It sounds like you made great use of your 5 days. To echo Pia, we've never been to Maho and not seen a turtle, but with the lifeguard you mentioned, I would question if you were actually at Maho.

I'd also like to know how St. John rates compared to the other islands you've visited.

Nic
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Islandtripper

Post by Islandtripper »

Well, the Steelers mania has died down for now. It was amazing! To answer the question how St. John compares to other islands, I must admit that it's my favorite! I also really like St. Martin on the french side. The beaches are really beautiful and I love the town of Grand Case where they have a great row of restaurants on the water. They had a parade with local school bands and street vendors one evening which was fun. I love the french town of Marigot too. It's very chic. The only drawback is that there is really no good snorkeling.

My previous favorite snorkeling place was Turks and Caicos. Beautiful powdery white beaches and great snorkeling. Really no nightlife though. Lots of good restaurants but we didn't find any casual bars. We were there about two years ago and they had quite a bit of construction going on. Not sure about now.

Well, my opinions only. I think that for our next trip, we are going to go back to St. John. We have never repeated before but we feel like we didn't get enough. We will go during April or May because of cost since we can't use hotel points ( we didn't want to stay at the Westin) and that will keep the cost down. We will probably stay at Gallows Point again unless we can find a villa/condo within walking distance of Cruz Bay (know of any?).

As for the Maho lifeguard sighting, I can't for the life of me remember which beach that really was! Sorry! Should have written this earlier when it was fresh in my mind. We DID go to Maho though but probably didn't look hard enough for those turtles! Well, next time for sure.

Thanks again to everyone!
[/url]
brenda

Post by brenda »

You like Gallow's Point for the same reasons we do. We have stayed there every trip and really have no substantial complaints. Having said that, the price of Gallow's twice a year is getting to be a killer. There isn't much that is comfortable walking distance. I have read alot of positive things about Cruz Views for the price. Apparently walking into town isn't bad, but the hill back up is a killer. There are a couple of other which I don't have any experience with. Samuel's Cottages, Star Villas. None as close as GP. No villas within walking distance that I know of. We are in the minority, but like the closeness to Cruz Bay for the evenings. It's nice to have maintenance there too when things go wrong.
Going "home" again October 26th!
mahobayb

Post by mahobayb »

cptnkirk said:
I'm actually a Bengals fan but we can't make it to a playoff let alone the Super Bowl. Heck we get excited if we can just win a game. :cry:

Heck Cptn, we get excited when the season is over. :oops:
we never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace