Break-In

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Post by RickG »

That's very disappointing to hear. We had a good experience with Kathy and Island Getaways at Alessnadra in November with our DNA crew: MrB, MrsB, Jorge and NoTanLines. There's also a friend of the owners on the forum who knows the property well. Your experience makes me wonder what's up with Island Getaways. Are break ins really that common that you don't hussle out immediately?

Alessandra is in an established neighborhood with no through traffic. I always felt secure at Alessandra because we could actually secure all of the doors and windows. Of course, with that beautiful sunset exposure came lots of afternoon heat and the temptation was to leave the back doors open - we didn't. I did leave our sliding doors open while we slept.

I wonder if we've just been lucky on all of our trips to St. John? We lock up and use the safe, but there are a lot of keys floating about.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I really don't think break ins are all that common, but I could be wrong. I still worry more about someone breaking in while I'm there. Someone strung out on drugs and needing $$ wouldn't care. It can happen in my own home, but we have a security system, and live in a very secure area, so I'm not so worried at home. That is probably a false sense of security.
(I also have yapping dogs and a gun at home!)
Kathy693

Break-in at Allesandra

Post by Kathy693 »

As the manager of Allesandra I would like to comment on the recent blurb by Rich. I have been managing Allesandra since Feb 2007. During this time we have not had any break-ins occur. As with all guests, when I check them in, Rich and his family were given the key and combination to the safe to secure their personal items. They were also advised to secure the villa when they left. Rich phoned me the day after the robbery. He went on to say that while they were out having dinner the night before, someone broke into the house. He called the police and they came up and took a report. He let me know all the doors were locked but that they had not used the wood dowels provided which would prevent the doors from opening should someone try to break in. I asked if he had used the safe and he said no. I asked if they had anything stolen and he gave me a list of the items and their value. I asked if anything from the house was taken and he said no. I said how sorry I was that this happened and asked how they all were and if they were comfortable staying in the house. He said the kids were uneasy last night but that he felt they would be okay. I contacted the owners right away but was not able to reach them. I have only had this happen one other time when guests were in residence and as soon as it happened I was called and went right out to the house. Rich said it was the police officer who advised him to call me. I apologize if my presence at the villa the next day showed lack of concern as that was clearly not my intention.
On Monday morning I phoned Rich but he had already left the villa. On Tuesday I sent him an email letting him know that I still had not heard from the owners and would get a copy of the police report for him. On Thursday I heard from the owners and received the police report. I called Rich to let him know that I had the report and that unfortunately the owners did not have insurance to cover their loss.
Three weeks ago my full time assistant had to take emergency medical leave and since then I am running the office myself. I am doing the best I can. The morning Rich called about the robbery I was on the other line which is why I did not pick up his call. As soon as I heard the message I phoned back.
Earlier in the week when I was notified about the bed I call my maintenance person to repair it. I did not reach him and left a voice message. I never heard back from the guests and therefore assumed the bed had been repaired. 99% of the time this system works but sometimes cell messages do not go through. My mistake for not following up on the repair. Had I known it did not get fixed I would have made sure it was done.
Allesandra does not offer maid service except with a 2 weeks rental. As Rich and his family were staying 12 days I offered a complimentary maid service during the middle of their 12 day stay. At that time they said they would think about it and let me know if they wanted the service. The day they called to let me know they wanted the service I called my cleaning lady and set her up with them for the next day. She has been working for Island Getaways since 2003 and I trust her implicitly and can assure you she had nothing to do with this break-in. St. John is paradise but like everywhere else we too have crime. I have worked very hard for the last 13 years to ensure that all of my villas are maintained and cleaned to the highest standards. I do my best to be sure all guests have a wonderful vacation experience. I am very sorry that you could not be one of them. I hope this did not ruin your vacation experience and that you will return to the beautiful island of St. John in the near future.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Kathy, thanks for taking the time to reply. My wife, Marcia, and I have stayed at villas that you have managed and have had nothing short of great service. For example, there was a problem with the pool at one of the villas and you had the pool guy up there the same day. And, if the cleaning person that you are referring to is the same one you sent to our villa, I also am sure that she had nothing to do with it. I gave her a ride back into town from our villa, which was all the way out in Fish Bay. She is a nice woman.

We always use the safe for our valuables. Unfortunately, the original poster learned that lesson the hard way. It stinks that it happened, but it does happen once in a great while.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I have rented through Kathy at Island Getaways for many years and have always had very positive experiences with her and her agency. Various problems have cropped up and in each and every situation, be it an AC unit that wasn't working or in one instance when a Jeep went off the driveway and over the side of the mountain and we needed help getting it back up on the road, Kathy has always been right on top of everything.

I hate hearing about any break-ins or crime of any kind and I'm sorry that it had to happen to you while you were on STJ.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for helping out with more context Kathy. We had a great experience in November and especially appreciated your helping with the transition of the management from Caribbean Villas to Island Getaways. Alessandra is a beautiful villa and I'd happily rent it again.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I rented Cinnamon Stones from Kathy's Island Getaways last year and had an excellent experience. A couple of issues cropped up and she took care of them immediately. Island Getaways actually was one of my best villa management experiences, of many, on St. John.

I'm glad she responded here, and also glad that the original poster felt comfortable explaining what happened to him---very sorry to hear that his vacation was marred by thieves.