First time to St John, what an awesome vacation!

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Thanks for the trip report. We are renting Bay Rum Breeze this summer for our 9th trip to paradise...STJ never gets old! We are in a never-ending state of "can't wait to get back."
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jmq

Post by jmq »

The blue sky/white clouds in the pool reflection is a very cool shot, probably a difficult exposure to capture. Nice shots with the long lens down into Coral Bay too. Thanks.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Fantastic report! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. So glad you both "get it". Till next time :D ! Thanks so much for sharing!
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Nice report...where exactly is Bay Rum Breeze?
seaera

Post by seaera »

Loved your pictures! Thanks for the great report. :)
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

PA Girl wrote:So glad to hear you loved STJ!

Bay Rum Breeze is on the top of my list for our next trip. Did the pool get afternoon sun?
Yes, til about 4:00PM
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

surfnh wrote:Nice report...where exactly is Bay Rum Breeze?
It is on Mamney Peak Road, which is a left off Centerline Road (RT10). It's about about 1/2 mile or so before the left onto route 20 if you are heading East.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Thanks for the trip report. We are renting Bay Rum Breeze this summer for our 9th trip to paradise...STJ never gets old! We are in a never-ending state of "can't wait to get back."
Please let me know how summer in St John is. I am curious if it gets as humid as here in Connecticut or not.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

fmzip wrote:
Teresa_Rae wrote: Please let me know how summer in St John is. I am curious if it gets as humid as here in Connecticut or not.
I'm not familiar with what CT summers are like so I'm not sure how to gauge a comparison. We've been in June, July, August, and November. August is the most humid we've seen STJ, but compared to the hot and humid mid-western summers we're used do, STJ is often an improvement. As an example, the day my husband and I got married in 2003 it was 105 F with the heat index in central IL, so when we got to STJ a couple days later for our honeymoon it was a nice cool down. In the summer months STJ is often less miserable than home, but it can still be fairly miserable there, but that is what the water is for, there is no heat that a dip in the ocean can't cure. Hope that helps. I'm sure there are other forumites from CT here so if you want a comparison you could start a topic :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Thanks for the TR and the great pics. I do believe you are hooked, but it's a great addiction.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Yes, we certainly are hooked. We are already devising a plan as to how we can afford another week.....

What we determined is if we give up our $8 a day Dunkin Donut habit, that buys us almost a full week! Two weeks at a time is feasible!

If I brown bag it, that's another $2500.....the ideas keep popping up to extend the trip even further!

Ideally, we'd love to find a similar 2 bedroom if the cost is cheaper. Any suggestions? I was thinking to go in April next year to get out of the peak season.

Not sure if this year was cold for St John, but I would have liked the air/water a few degrees warmer.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

smart ideas fmzip! I need to learn from you to buckle down to afford more time on STJ!

Check out my recent review of Pink Horses (called Pink Horses Pictures- still listed at left)- may fit your bill for next time- similar view- just closer to Coral Bay- great 2 bedroom. I know there are some other great 2 bedrooms out there in other areas, too. Bongo Bongo is on my list.....
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Lovely photos!

If you want warmer water, I would push the trip til May rather than April. The times we have gone in April, I have had a bit of a hard time getting into the water. I'll admit that we usually go in the summer and so I am spolied for water temps. Honestly though, we were down a couple of weeks ago and I thought the water was warmer then than it has been in April.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Ideally, we'd love to find a similar 2 bedroom if the cost is cheaper. Any suggestions? I was thinking to go in April next year to get out of the peak season.
We really liked Villa Tiffany in Coral Bay, price is good, view is amazing, the pool isn't as awesome as Bay Rum Breeze looks though.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thank you for taking the time to post your trip report. You have a great knack for taking pictures. Loved the animal pictures and the one with the reflection in the pool.Your villa view was gorgeous.