What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Oh yeah, I love the ziplocs too! I actually pack all of our clothes and stuff into the 2-gallon size ziplocs--they are great for storing wet stuff. I bring down a bag of the other sizes also--good for storing leftovers and things.

All this talk of porkroll has me laughing. I was born in Philly and scrapple was one of my favorite foods when I was a kid. I much preferred it to the porkroll. I won't touch either one now!

Butterscotch krimpets were the best too. And hoagies! :wink:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BeachMan

Post by BeachMan »

KathyMN wrote:In addition to the things already mentioned... I always pack (on ANY vacation), my bag o'bags. In a one gallon-sized ziplock bag, I put a half dozen or so each of gallon/quart/sandwich/snack ziplock bags. I do my own vacuum seal on it (eg. zip it almost shut then suck out all the remaining air) and pop it in the suitcase. My husband always makes fun of me. That is, until the first time that we find ourself in need of one, and I whip out the required ziplock. We've used them for everything from wet swimsuits on that last day before boarding the plane, to the obvious sandwiches and snacks, to capturing all the beads from my necklace that broke, to making instant pudding at a place that didn't have any bowls or beaters, to..... etc. etc. etc. To. St. John, I've also always thrown in an old bedsheet to lay on the beach under the towels, to keep the sand off. But now, hearing all of the accolades about this Neat Sheet thing, I've decided to try that. BTW, they're BOGO (Buy one (large size), get the second for 1/2 price) at drugstore.com. I hope they work as well as everyone says. :D
Thanks for the tip! I broke down and ordered a couple of Neat Sheets. I fully expect to be able to put one on as a cape and fly around after all the reviews I've read :D
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

RickG wrote:Wallet
Passport

Everything else is replaceable given the first two.

Cheers, RickG
I second Rick with the clarification that the wallet has a credit card, cash (or cash access) and a driver's license.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

BeachMan wrote: I broke down and ordered a couple of Neat Sheets. I fully expect to be able to put one on as a cape and fly around after all the reviews I've read :D
HA!!!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

BeachMan wrote: Thanks for the tip! I broke down and ordered a couple of Neat Sheets. I fully expect to be able to put one on as a cape and fly around after all the reviews I've read :D
I work at Toys R Us, which normally has Neat Sheets, but of course I can't find them right now!

Anyhow, last summer I stood at the service desk bored out of my gourd staring at the display of Neat Sheets trying to figure out if they lived up to the hype.

I took one to STJ last year, and I am a believer. I don't know if I'd try to use it as a cape and fly (mostly because it has weights to keep the wind from picking it up! And it works!) I don't know how the material repels sand and water, but it does.

I ended up chucking mine at the end of the week, figuring we got our $7 worth, but I really wish I'd saved it right now.
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Hey Lulu,
Those neat sheets are about the same material that disposable lab coats are made of. They are made by the same company-Kimerly Clark who makes lots of disposable lab stuff. They work to keep the sand out of the Jeep too. Great stuff!
When will I see St John again?
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I never knew there was such a thing as a disposable lab coat! This place is very educational.

If those lab coats are made of the neat sheet material, they must rock for doctors and such!
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

iPod and speaker dock...a must have for villa gravity days.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Chet

Post by Chet »

...a laid back attitude
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

liamsaunt wrote:Oh yeah, I love the ziplocs too! I actually pack all of our clothes and stuff into the 2-gallon size ziplocs--they are great for storing wet stuff. I bring down a bag of the other sizes also--good for storing leftovers and things.

All this talk of porkroll has me laughing. I was born in Philly and scrapple was one of my favorite foods when I was a kid. I much preferred it to the porkroll. I won't touch either one now!

Butterscotch krimpets were the best too. And hoagies! :wink:
Use to love the scrapple too. I won't touch that one either (even though its mostly made from cornmeal - among other things
:shock: )

I definitely cannot go without my camera, ipod and phone!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Scrapple made form cornmeal?!? Go on!!! New one for me! I always just assumed that it was whatever was left over when they ran out of skin for hotdogs!
Speaking of which, there MUST be SOMETHING we could come up with for the leftover boiled hot dog water!
Like hot dog flavored ice pops!
:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: Just puttin' it out there-
Smiles-
Jimmy
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

* urp! *
Connie

Post by Connie »

I don't think I'm eating scrapple anymore!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

mahojim wrote:Scrapple made form cornmeal?!? Go on!!! New one for me! I always just assumed that it was whatever was left over when they ran out of skin for hotdogs!
be SOMETHING we could come up with for the leftover boiled hot dog water!
Like hot dog flavored ice pops!
:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: Just puttin' it out there-
Smiles-
Jimmy
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Connie wrote:I don't think I'm eating scrapple anymore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
That $hit sounds absolutely awful! Eeechhh!

And yeah, Steve, fruit & nuts, you're right! LOL!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I didn't know exactly what it was, but I've always known it was disgusting.