What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Post by Connie »

You know how months ahead of time, things pop into your head head that you know you have to take with you. Our list may not be conventional, but it's definetly what we have to have with us.

Digital Camera
Snorkel Gear
Box Fan (I know, I know) we need it for that white noise and luckily our condo has the one we brought down last year.
Collapsible Cooler
Sunblock
Hats
Spices (I know again) but I have these tiny ziplock backs. I label them, I only take a little bit of each, but at least we have them. Then it's a trip to St. John Spice.
Porkroll :o)
Beach Chairs...we're taking them this time. I've had enough wet towel/beach sitting. We'll leave them there.
Radio...no sirius...too heavy....too much of a chance of somebody stealing it.
A great book!

Sometimes I feel like I should just rent a U'Haul and ship it down on a freighter :lol:
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

how are you taking beach chairs with you? why not buy them down there and leave them there if that's what you plan to do?
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I will be the first to admit that I am not particularly high-maintenance, but I guess I'll share my "must-takes" with you.

I learned last year that I could live without a camera, but it wasn't pleasant. This year I'm also bringing a ziplock bag to carry it in. :oops:

I really just need hair scrunchies, a swimsuit and cover up, flip flops and SUNSCREEN. (And I could get the sunscreen there in a pitch.)

Other than that, I guess I HAVE to pack cash, VISA and a passport.

I will take other things, but I'm pretty sure if I put all that in an overnight bag, I could jet off in a moment's notice and not be upset.

I can grab a book at the airport on my way!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have to bring:

The sunscreen I like--it's not available on St. John
sunglasses
hat
camera and housing, extra memory cards
backpack
passport
a comb
journal and extra pens
Books. Lots of books.
snorkel gear
credit cards!
my knives
a good corkscrew
spice kit
John :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
parafins

To bring with you.......

Post by parafins »

How about a Rashguard shirt?It was a lifesaver for my family last year. Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

The only thing I have to bring is $$ and books. Everything else I can get on island or live without.

I am trying very hard to be the laid back traveler these days and not worry too much about having everything. (I will let you know if that works when I fly to Disney this week) :lol:
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

There is only one thing I can't endure a vacation without: my camera. I would forgo clean underwear and toothpaste first.

Case in point: on our last trip, we were already about 2 miles up a steep (I mean straight up and down steep) mountain trail when I realized I had left my camera battery in our cabin. Matt refused to go back, but said he would sit there and wait if I insisted (with lots of loud sighing and eye rolling, I might add). I jogged the 2 miles back down, ran to the car, drove 13 miles to the cabin, 13 miles back, and jogged back up the trail.

I was gasping for air like a beached whale, but I had my camera. THAT is just how important it is. It's a sickness, really.
Connie

Post by Connie »

mbw1024 wrote:how are you taking beach chairs with you? why not buy them down there and leave them there if that's what you plan to do?
It's easy to take the chairs. You just put them together, tie them up and they go on as luggage.

We though about buying them down there, but we have chairs, and we'll probably leave them there. We've done this before to Grand Cayman and to the Bahamas. Also, I don't want to take the time to go looking for beach chairs when I get down. I just hate shopping. I want to get there, plop my chairs down and enjoy.

This way when we go to any beach on STT, like Coki, Secret Harbor, Hull or even Sapphire, we have them. Then, when we take our trips over to STJ we have them there too.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

didn't know you could check beach chairs.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Chapstick. I've got to have my chapstick.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

underwear.

Prevents chafing
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Hair conditioner and pony tail holders. I have fine hair and lots of it and it tangles right up.
When will I see St John again?
nmclain1978

Post by nmclain1978 »

Dunkin Donuts Coffee!
California Girl

Re: What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Post by California Girl »

Connie wrote:Porkroll :)
Ok, clue me in. Are you talking food? Or is something else (besides my love handles) called a Porkroll?
mbw1024

Re: What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Post by mbw1024 »

California Girl wrote:
Connie wrote:Porkroll :)
Ok, clue me in. Are you talking food? Or is something else (besides my love handles) called a Porkroll?
Hahhahahaa! This just almost made me spit my milk out my nose (cereal for lunch, isn't that exciting?).
Yes it's a food product only to be found on the East Coast. Not sure if it has branched out to other states but definitely was limited to Philly and Jersey at one time. Also known to some (me) as Taylor Ham.
http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm