Travelers Checks

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Travelers Checks

Post by Lulu76 »

I never even thought about travelers checks last year. I don't even know where you get them. What I do know is that lately we have been talking about crime and being smart, and now it doesn't seem very smart to take hundreds of dollars in cash with me on vacation.

I know restaurants and other businesses hate travelers checks, but are the banks on STJ good about cashing them for people. I'm not even sure where the banks are... I just know that last time when I was there, the ATM at Starfish was out of order 6 of the 7 days. I don't want to rely on an ATM to get cash.

Anyone have suggestions?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Bayer is a big fan of Traveler's Checks, but they irritate me to no end. (Sorry, honey.) To me, it slows down the whole process. We never fail to get the waiter/clerk who has no idea what they are and has to call over the supervisor for an explanation. I'd use cash, ATM, and credit card and lock what you don't need for the day in a safe.

Now for an answer to your question. He gets his at the bank, but if you are a AAA member I think they're free. We take a combination of checks/cash which works for us, except for the irritation factor. We've never tried cashing them at the bank in Cruz Bay. Be sure to carry a photo id, because the times we used them in July it was required.

Hope that helps.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I used them when I went to Europe as a teenager. The teacher who took us refused to let us take cash. Traveler's check or your parents VISA if they went for it (mine didn't). I remember shops and restaurants did not want to take them, hotels (which I don't have in STJ) had no problem taking them as long as they had the cash (they probably wouldn't today) and banks acted irritated (but that could've been because French people always seem irritated by Les Americains). When I went back I took my debit card, and the ATM machines just converted my currency on the spot. That was handy. I just worry because I keep thinking about those out of order signs on ATM machines.

My one friend took them last time and she had no problems -- even Ivan took one!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I always take cash probaly to much as I have money left when I come home guess I didn't drink enough. :lol:
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

I work at a credit union and rarely do people get travelers checks but I took them with me and had no problem. If they get stolen at least you have some recourse. I take half cash and half checks. I you are married, split the checks so only one of you has to sign and provide ID when using them.
Another tip- when using a debit card use it as credit so you do not have to enter your pin. There is more fraud going on due to the economy so the less you enter your pin, the better, especially at gas stations where anyone has access to the card reader.
When will I see St John again?
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

That's my biggest worry: theft. If I get my traveler's checks stolen, I just call American Express and they send new ones. If I get cash stolen, I'm screwed and poor in paradise.

I will probably get some of my money in traveler's checks. Maybe I'll ask the girl who took them if she had trouble. Of course, I figure if Ivan's Stress-Free Bar takes them, we're probably OK.
bayer40601

Post by bayer40601 »

Lulu76 said: That's my biggest worry: theft. If I get my traveler's checks stolen, I just call American Express and they send new ones. If I get cash stolen, I'm screwed and poor in paradise.
That's true as long as you have signed them at the top of the check. If you have not done so and they are stolen, you are out of luck. American Express will not provide new checks if they were not signed at the top.

My experience with TC has always been satisfactory (pj to the contrary notwithstanding). The one thing you do have to do is to remember to get enough cashed before you get ready to leave in order to have cash for ferry fares, tips, etc.[/quote]
How many more days?
Pia

Post by Pia »

Personally I would plan on using a credit card for everything and have cash only for ferries, taxi's, Deli Grotto, Donkey Diner - very few places here won't take a CC and I believe most don't like travellers checks.

As far as the banks go, there are two on STJ and it depends how long you want to stand in line - I have been in and out within 15 mins and I have been in and out within 45 mins - both times with approx 4 or 5 people in front of me :) I find Scotiabank to have "nicer" staff and they don't let their friends enter the bank and serve them first (ahead of the people waiting in line) like they do at First Bank.

All ATM's on STJ have been fully stocked and not run out of money in a long time :) - First Bank now has two outside (vs the one old broken down one they used to have) and Scotiabank still has the one but I have never not been able to get cash out :) The exception might be on a Friday night and all weekend of a holiday weekend such as Memorial Day - but even this Labor Day weekend they still had cash.

Pia
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I didn't realize how bad the line at the bank would be. I'm planning to use my credit card more anyhow. I just feel bad using it so much, because I know it costs them money. Of course, that is the price of doing business.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Traveler's Checks defined:

When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Of course, having your money stolen and being broke on vacation is a bigger pain in the ass...

Maybe I'll do the whole cash and credit thing like I did last time, but all the tales of thievery have made me think about it.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We've always taken a few traveler's check to get cash back (in lieu of ATMs). We never had problems using them (most often at the Beach Bar) and a couple of times had them cashed at the bank (not sure which ones). We use the credit card a lot.

I used to get the traveler's checks fee-free at my bank or AAA.

Haven't decided which way to go this year. It sounds like there have been improvements with the ATMs - so it's ATM fees vs Travelers check fees.

Nice to be down to such decisions.
janet
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Honestly, I haven't used a travelers check in years and I travel all over the world. I do not recommend them. With ubiquitous ATM's and acceptance of CC's (including AMEX) just about everywhere they just aren't necessary.

Further, when an exchange rate is involved you will often get a better deal on the exchange rate with your CC. When you buy TC's then you paid the rate when you bought them so you are either losing or making money from a purchase that is fixed in time.

TRUST me when I say: bring $400 in cash, your ATM card and a VISA or MC card and you will have have no worries. When your cash reserves get below $100, find and ATM and get $400 more. That should hold you for 10 days EASY!

I always charge when I can and keep my cash whenever possible -- then pay off the cc's at the end of the trip with my cash.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I can't see any reason to take Traveler's checks myself. I couldn't find an ATM in Coral Bay but I may not have known where to look. I could have sworn there was one in Lilly's last time but not this time.

We were able to re-cash in Cruz Bay easily.

I think we only used cash for the ferry rides and a few little things here and there.

Just a quick look at my credit card statements shows just about EVERYONE take either Visa or Amex.

Take Amex:

Conrad Sutton
Lilly's Market
Waterfront Bistro
Gladys (STT)
Big Planet
Jolly Dog

Take Visa (some of these might also take Amex I am just not sure)

St. John Spice
Christy's
Island Blues
Banana Deck
Skinny Legs
Shipwreck
St John Kids
Ocean Grill
Aqua Bistro
Chelsea Drug
Starfish