Not lurking anymore

Travel discussion for St. John
KathyMN

Not lurking anymore

Post by KathyMN »

OK, I've been lurking for about 2 weeks, biding my time. We just today finalized our plans for 2 weeks at Christmas... two Minnesota couples and our 18 year old son...(kind of a senior trip and 35th wedding anniversary celebration). We'll spend the first week on St. Maarten; second week on St. John.
This will be our 5th trip to STJ... our first was when our son was 4 years old, and he learned to snorkel at Salt Pond. Great memories.

Anyway.... my first main question for the Caribbean experts is...... what's the best way to get from St. Maarten to St. Thomas? The airfares and schedules w/ the main airlines are ridiculous for the 3 stop route. So, I'm looking at a fairly reasonable charter from MSP to St. Maarten (SXM). Then, trying to find some way to get back (and forth) from SXM to STT for the STJ leg of the trip. I've done some checking of the locally listed small airlines. What do you know about Liat? Do you recommend them? Safety? They seem to have the best schedule and price. Are there any others you recommend? Is there any kind of ferry, or is that just too far? Any recommendationas or advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to see that the forum is still alive and active. The new tickers are fun, but I haven't taken the time to figure that out yet. I look forward to reading the great trip reports, and getting advice (and maybe even sharing some) about what's going on in our favorite place on earth.

4 months and 1 day to go.
K
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

All I know about LIAT is it's snarky nickname: Luggage In Another Terminal.

That didn't help at all, did it?
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

pipanale wrote:All I know about LIAT is it's snarky nickname: Luggage In Another Terminal.

That didn't help at all, did it?
And this coming from a grass skirted hoochie dancer :lol: :wink:

Every time I think I've got it all figured out, some one comes along with a totally different itinerary....that's a good one, tho..St. Martin to StJ....I hope you can find decent transport!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

pjayer

Post by pjayer »

No answer to your question, but welcome to the forum. :D Looking forward to hearing from you.
AlabamaSusana

Island Hopping

Post by AlabamaSusana »

I doubt if you will find a ferry between SXM and STT. I did a google search and found some ferry runs listed between SXM and Anguilla, St. Barts and Saba.

We have island hopped on LIAT (aka Leave Island Any Time) and Cape Air. Both do a good job - as long as you realize that you are on island time.

You might have better airfare luck booking to STT and then taking a top to SXM and back - or use Puerto Rico as your "hub".

Have a great trip!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

CariBert wrote: And this coming from a grass skirted hoochie dancer :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

It's my understanding that the locals rely on LIAT for inter-island shipping and travel. They are notoriously off schedule so throw out the times they post and plan accordingly. They use much smaller planes (puddle jumpers). But they are OK safety wise.

Have you checked caribbean sun? Also if money isn't an object (since you're traveling at XMAS -- the most expensive time of the year -- I asssume you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket - no shame in that by the way!) and you want to avoid hassle then you might consider a private charter (either air or boat). Air would obviously be faster.

Another tack to take for this kind of thing is instead of trying to book yourself, try using a travel agent. I typically book all my air travel myself but for something like this they may have some insight and be able to help you out. I'm guessing most stuff will route you through PR though to connect rather than allowing you to connect directly to STT.

Not sure if any of these suggestions help at all. I have never heard of anyone on this board discussing a transfer like this. But this is where I'd start if it were me.

Welcome!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
KathyMN

Keep those suggestions coming

Post by KathyMN »

Thanks for all of your (rapid) inputs and suggestions so far. Getting from MSP to STT is getting tougher and tougher. Suncountry has been the main charter airline to both STT and SXM... but dropped STT this year. Our only major carrier options are Northworst (via San Juan) and Delta (via Atlanta). Having done the San Juan "dance" twice, I will do virtually anything to avoid going through there again.

I'm glad to hear that Liat isn't out of the question.. and we'll be limin' by then so wouldn't be too bothered by the island time. I think I will check w/ an agent, though... good suggestion... since they may have access to some other unpublished fares. I'm sure the cruise lines have options from here to STT.

Yes, Chrismas is the spendy time... but our only option for this year. We're managing our budget pretty well though by spending 1 week on St. Maarten, getting the condo through our vacation club there, and renting a very reasonable villa in Coral Bay through a Minnesota connection.

Keep the advice coming!
Thanks again,
K
jmq

Post by jmq »

Suggest you do a search of "liat" here and perhaps in some of their other sections:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/ ... d=stmartin
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
CaribSoul

Post by CaribSoul »

LIAT = Luggage In Any Terminal
LIAT = Luggage Is Always Tardy

and my favorite...

LIAT = Leave Island Any Time

Don't schedule anything else for the day you travel inter-island. :lol:
CaribSoul

Post by CaribSoul »

To the best of my knowledge, LIAT is the only scheduled air currently flying St. Martin to St. Thomas.

Caribbean Sun ceased operations in 2007 and it's sister, Caribbean Star has been merged with LIAT.

Cape Air covers the Virgins, but I don't believe it flys to SXM.

I do think WinAir flys SXM to the BVIs (Tortola) but then you would need to ferry to STJ.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure. Sure beats Christmas here in 'Snowta! I'm jealous. 8)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Did you ever thing of going to Chicago there you could fly AA, ur air or united air fares I've been paying have been around 390. I had friends that flew cape air from STT to sxm but not sure if they had to thru sju
KathyMN

Tried Chicago

Post by KathyMN »

Thanks waterguy... (and everyone else too). I tried Chicago... it's at about $1100 RT to STT those weeks. Yikes. So... for right now I'm probably going to do the Suncountry charter from MSP to SXM. LIAT looks promising for SXM to STT (and I'm taking everyone's advice about allowing plenty of extra time). I also requested quotes from 2 charter services. Since there's 5 of us, it might not be out of the question.