Losing Luggage

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

One time, I was on a little plane from Germany to London, and just as we were preparing to take off, I looked and saw a cart with my suitcase and about six others sitting in the middle of the tarmac. I found a stewardess who spoke English, explained to her that the plane was about to leave and that was our luggage, and they finally sent someone to go get it. That's when I started carry-on only, which went really well until this toiletry ban a few years ago.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Some airlines have a better reputation than others. Delta (Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) and US Scare are perhaps the worst. I travel every week and NEVER check a bag. You would be amazed at what I can get into that roll-aboard bag.

Since that is not an option for you, the three tier approach that has been suggested here will help. Carry all essentials like the dress, several changes of clothes and Rx etc. on the plane. Cross pack the bags you do check, and ship whatever you can to have it waiting for you.

Do not let this issue take away from the wonderful time you will have down there. Relax and enjoy it.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

In addition to all the other advice given, I would like to suggest the Eagle Creek Pack-It. You can get an incredible amount of stuff in these things and they really decrease the amount of room your stuff takes up. For 1 week I packed 4 shorts, 1 skort, 4 shirts, 4 tanks, 2 swimsuits in my Pack-It and still had room in my carry on for fins, snorkel, mask, hat, books and toiletries (in 1 qt. ziplock).
Jennifer

Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

2 out of 5 trips to STJ we have had issues with luggage and is now why we try to do carry on only.
We also were married there and had a lot of stuff to bring. I carried my dress separate and they held it up front and if I recall had 2 more pieces. with charges for bags now, room is getting much tighter. It also gives you a little attention when you carry the dress on, the pilot gave us a shout out on the trip down.
Take everything you need and a little to spare in the carry on.
You should be fine, but be prepared just in case.
And Congrats!!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Holy crap Chicakdee! You must be a size 2 with teeny feet! Wearing a size 11M shoe myself I can fit like 1 pair of shoes in my bag and a pair o'undies and that's about it!! Forget fins!!

I have to say that the liquids ban put a real cramp in my make-up bag/toiletries style. This is by far the heaviest and most expensive part of the stuff I take (I use La Mer cream, Bobbi Brown make-up and Kerastase shampoo-- I know, I have a problem!)

Anyway, I typically carried this stuff on in my carry on because it's heavy and expensive stuff to replace. Now when going to STJ I usually cut back on this stuff anyway but it's still a PITA and I'm always worried that they'll lose it(or worse, steal it). I hate to think that about the TSA folks but it does happen.

And of course because the liquids are heavier you're getting screwed on the overweight charges or sacrificing clothing. It's all a trade off.

This whole liquids ban thing is crap anyway. Just another way for the Government to keep us scared and busy while generating extra income for the airlines and airports! What a joke!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I think the liquid ban is garbage too. There was a threat involving a liquid, but the average joe is not causing any problem with their Head and Shoulders -- or, what I will have to be leaving at home -- their perfume. Luckily, my toiletries for St John are pretty minimal, although I am a bit frightened at what I might pay for sunscreen and bug spray at Chelsea Drug. Although last time, someone left those things behind for us at the villa. Maybe we'll be lucky again?
NIKKI

Post by NIKKI »

My tip is to carry a couple of days clothes in carry on and then spilt your cases so you have half of each others clothes in each case, that way if 1 goes missing you have at least half of your stuff.
I also took my wedding dress onto the plane not to
USVI but I dont think any airline would have a problem with it