Having doubts about villa choice...

Travel discussion for St. John
jdw

Having doubts about villa choice...

Post by jdw »

When we first booked our villa (Sol Inclination) there were not many reviews on the forum. After we booked it most of the reviews I have read pretty much say the same thing - love the villa but TOO far out (Fish Bay). I don't know if it's an option but I thought about asking Kathy at Island Getaways if we could switch properties - I notice that Amani (Great Cruz Bay/Chocolate Hole - construction??)is available the same week. Have any of you ever changed your mind after your villa was booked? What was the outcome?

Thanks.
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

I'm not going to answer your direct question, because I have no idea whether you can switch villas or not. But I will challenge the assertion that Fish Bay is "TOO far out." The question is, far from what? If you're talking about the beaches, yes, it's a ways, but not that far. I've stayed twice in Point Rendezvous, just this side of Fish Bay, and it's not a bad drive. Now, the question about Sol Inclination is whether it's too far UP. It's a definite climb, reminiscent of some of the villas up on Bordeaux Mtn. But the views are spectacular, which is the trade-off. And I think it's a gorgeous villa and a great value.

Of course, no one knows better than you how well you tolerate driving and climbing on St. John roads. I only make the point that Fish Bay is pleasantly remote, not too far out.
South Shore Villa

Sol Inclination

Post by South Shore Villa »

We are neighbors of Sol Inclination. You will not be disappointed with your choice. It's located only 15 minutes from town, and while Great Cruz Bay/Chocolate Hole is technically closer, the actual time to travel into town could very likely be the similar. Sol Inclination has possibly the best location on island: incredibly private and with views to kill for. The house is tastefully decorated and lacks nothing. Another benefit of its location is that the night sky is actually brighter - as there's no ambient light from St Thomas. Stick with your original choice, you won't be disappointed.

Regards,
South Shore Villa

Post by South Shore Villa »

This is a photo from our home which is located just below Sol Inclination. It should give you an idea of what type of view you will have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13981985@N08/1414976373/

BTW, there are two beaches very close by. One is Reef Bay beach and the other is near Klein Bay. Both about 5 min from the villa.[/img]
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm posting at an insane hour because I can't sleep!

As you know we stayed at Sol Inclination for 10 days in June. We loved the place and were glad to have had the experience, but we would not stay that far out again.

I'd say there is a noticeable difference between Point Rendevous and Skytop...the driving time really adds up when you're doing it every day.

For example, when we are on STJ we like to eat out about every other night. So for us on those nights that means leaving the beach and going back to the villa to clean up and then back into town to eat. On nights that we ate in, it wasn't so bad, but it was a lot of extra driving to go out to eat...we spent a lot more time driving on this trip than we usually do...it began to feel like a chore. We usually stay around Chocolate Hole or so.

The view from Sol Inclination is amazing...by far the best view we've ever had, but the cost for such a view is your time. On days we just went to the beach and had dinner at the villa we spent around an extra 30 minutes driving every day (15 minutes each way)...on days when we went out for dinner, that went up to an extra 60 minutes per day. We did go straight from the beach to dinner a couple times just to save time, but I don't really care to do that.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

To answer your question, I did have to cancel one villa and replace with another. I was not pleased that I was charged a fee of $200 since I made the change within 24 hours of the original booking and before I had even signed anything! Also, the reservation was made in March for a November rental. I believe I could have challenged the charge but wasn't interested in annoying the rental company. I will, however, think twice about using that rental company again!
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We have stayed in Fish Bay area several times.....about 10 minutes to Cruz Bay and what a lovely drive to have to make!! Come on you're on vacation.....what's the hurry?? Who cares if it takes a few minutes to drive....you are in paradise after all...take it all in and EXPLORE!!!!!!!
benchill

Post by benchill »

Skytop is closer to town than Bordeaux is to either Coral Bay or Cruz Bay. We loved both locations. I wouldn't ever count out Bordeaux because of the drive. We enjoy the drive, but we also dont eat out much either. It makes us feel like we are not back home in the city.

I totally think its a personal preference whether to stay in town or get away from it all.

I haven't heard a single negative thing about the villa itself. Looks beyond amazing.

I can work myself into a frenzy when picking a villa, I worry the last detail, so I understand. People tell me, "Quit worrying, it will be perfect." And I try.
Ben and Lynn
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

My issue with the driving is that it isn’t close to anything…Cruz Bay, Coral Bay, and the beaches are all a decent drive away. If Skytop was close to at least one thing of those three things I would feel differently. We don’t like to stay in town either, but after staying so far out we realized that a happy medium would be better for us.

It all depends on how you want to spend your vacation. I spend way more time driving than I’d like when I’m at home, so to spend an hour driving on vacation just isn’t my cup of tea…I’d rather spend that time at the beach :)

We found ourselves having to leave the beach earlier than we wanted to because of the extra time it took to get to the villa, clean up, and back into town for dinner. There were even a couple nights that we intended to go out for dinner and changed our minds because we were sick of the drive.

But that said, it is a great villa with awesome views :)
- Mark Twain
Chet

Post by Chet »

Don't stay at Sol Inclination. You will be spoiled rotten, as most other villas pale in comparison. South Shore Villa is another spectacular property. We stayed at Sol last Oct/Nov and never had issues with the drive. Ditleff was still open and close by. And there's a wonderful trail/road on Skytop that goes back to an old plantation. The trip (trail) starts at the corner with the orange barrels... Check Trailbandit.org. It may take 15 min to drive to Maho, but who's counting? It's island time. No stress, no worries.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Rachelle & Joe

villa choice

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Not to WORRY !!!! we stayed on Rendezvous overlooking Fish Bay this past May at Lovely Miles Away ! Beautiful Location & Villa ! the ride was a piece of CAKE !!!! No matter where u stay u will have some travel time to Beaches but driving to & from alway's keeps u checking things & places along the way !! Explore your on vaca ! ENJOY !!!! 8)
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Oh no...now you are thinking of changing villas and it's all my fault for not finishing the trip report yet! :D

The only reason I could see changing villas is if you absolutely can't stand to drive at all or like Chet said, if you are too scared that you'll be spoiled for life by Sol. It truly is an amazing property and perfect in every way. You know I had issues with the driveway, but only because we had three vehicles in our group. The driver never bothered us. We did cook in one night and brought dinner home with us two nights. We are people that leave in the morning and pack lunch, snacks and drinks and don't come home until time to get ready for dinner. We also went through Gift Hill from Coral Bay often since we thought that made the ride quicker. We never mind driving on island because we love having the scenery and view the travel time as an adventure!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

If your only regret is being far from "anything" consider this.....You are about 5 minutes past Gift Hill Rd which is the best way around Cruz Bay to the east end, 7 minutes past the Westin, 10 minutes from the outskirts of Cruz Bay, 12 minutes from Starfish Maket, 15 minutes from the intersection of South shore rd and centerline and only 30 minutes from Hawksnest.

You are minutes walk away from the trail to reef bay which I like to use as my own 3 mile beach. I have rarely run into others on the beach there. It is a great access to the bottom of the reef bay hike including the petroglyphs.

You are out of hearing distance from massive construction projects.

Really the drive to Fish Bay and reef point is quite enjoyable now that it is all paved.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

toes in the sand wrote:If your only regret is being far from "anything" consider this.....You are about 5 minutes past Gift Hill Rd
For me, staying in lower Fish Bay is different than staying in Skytop...getting all the way up there takes time :)
toes in the sand wrote:You are minutes walk away from the trail to reef bay which I like to use as my own 3 mile beach. I have rarely run into others on the beach there. It is a great access to the bottom of the reef bay hike including the petroglyphs.
How do you get there? You've got me stumped :)
- Mark Twain
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

quote]
How do you get there? You've got me stumped :)[/quote]

Gerald Singer’s “Off the Beaten Track” will get you to the trailhead. The On StJohn guys have three videos of the trip from Genti Bay trail to the petroglyphs. The first one can be found here.

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2008/01/28/ree ... -part-one/

The trailhead is at Slimans house, there is a utility pole marked with "ES 36 F". If I knew how to attach a picture I would.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"