from Jumbie to Denis...

Travel discussion for St. John
Pickle

from Jumbie to Denis...

Post by Pickle »

Has anyone made the swim or snorkeled from Jumbie to Denis? What is it like along the way? Is it an easy swim for moderate swimmers?
Jumbie has never really been my favorite snorkeling spot but I have never snorkeled the left all the way around to Denis and am wondering if I should try that next time.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

That is precisely one of my favorite things to do!! The swim is not difficult and the snorkel is pretty good from about 1/2 way out of Jumbie toward the point and around the point (in other words, there's not much to see at Jumbie or right at Denis, but in between is good). For me, though, it's the destination that's the reason for making the swim. I just LOVE Denis beach.
Jennifer

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Chickadee, I agree with you on the "it's the destination" part.
I'm not much of a hiker and generally would rather swim/snorkel to get to destinations if I can. Thank you for the information.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I usually see lobsters in the rocks on that snorkel. I like it.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Tiger Prof.

Post by Tiger Prof. »

My husband lost his wedding ring on this snorkle. Send me a PM if you find it :lol:
Chet

Post by Chet »

The trip to Denis let's me work on my deep dives and breath control. Get down and enjoy the ride. The swim around the rock at Denis is the icing on the cake. Before heading back haul out and soak in the sun .

On the return trip, be careful to swim wide left of the shallow reef off Jumbie.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Chet wrote:The trip to Denis let's me work on my deep dives and breath control. Get down and enjoy the ride. The swim around the rock at Denis is the icing on the cake. Before heading back haul out and soak in the sun .

On the return trip, be careful to swim wide left of the shallow reef off Jumbie.
Hmmm... I can't really dive (I have bad ear pressure problems). I felt it was a shame that I couldn't free dive at Blue Cobblestone also. Hope I still can see some good stuff from the surface along the way from Jumbie to Denis.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Hmmm... I can't really dive (I have bad ear pressure problems). I felt it was a shame that I couldn't free dive at Blue Cobblestone also. Hope I still can see some good stuff from the surface along the way from Jumbie to Denis.
No worries. you can hug the rocks arount the point from Jumbie to Denis. There's lots of fish and critters. Staying close, you'll appear to be heading for the beach, but you'll run into rock and coral point running out from the beach. Stay right (one of the few times on island) and swim around the coral - this is beautiful with more coral and critters around the underwater structure. Don't be tempted to take a shortcut towards Denis across the top of the coral. It's shallow and the waves and current can sweep you into the staghorn, causing damage to the coral and to the tender bits of well endowed beauties...
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Chet, Thank you for the detailed info. I'll be careful with corals there.
Wish more beach visitors were aware that corals are living animals... In spite of efforts to spread the word, I still see some snorkelers standing on them every time we visit St. John. If I happened to come across them, I "gently" warn them about it but sometimes they seem to have no idea what I'm saying. They probably thought I was nuts (?). Such a shame.