Suzi's report, day 2, June10

Travel discussion for St. John
suzi

Suzi's report, day 2, June10

Post by suzi »

Up at 7- coffe alone on the poolk deck- ahhhhhhh ( once again!) Power walk w/ DH. Peeked in Idyllic ( we know the owners and knew that no one was there this week)
Cinnamon Bay today, girls favorite. Gee,,,wonder if it has anything to do with always meeting boys there???? Once again we pull in around 11:30 and plenty oif parking! Man, I am lovin this June time!!! DH picked up a couple of those cheap beach umbrellas at the hardware store at Marketplace., They always come in handy and then we leave them at the villa. As usual, girls meet boys.
We went to Compass Rose @Pastory Garden tonight. Don't forget about this resaturant!!! We walked right in and had a table. Great service w/ Seth and beautiful sunset. We were the only table there!!! The bar had quite a few people. Local hangout, I think. Thats why I like it so much. All open air, couple of huge flat screen TV's. Nice casual place and not expensive. TRY it!!!
BTW...DO NOT RENT PALM HILL VILLA ON MARIA BLUFF.
Sorry owners and villa manager...it is a beautiful new house, but right below it is major construction and major noise!!! If it had been me staying there, I would be most unhappy!!! It is like they were building in the front yard!! I did not see any warning on the web site either. I feel sorry for the owners. Not much one can do.
And around the Chocolate Hole side of the neighborhood, well...lets just say that I am glad we are not around there. Not just because of the construction, but because the whole site is not pretty to look at!
We walked past INDIGO and it looks awesome!!! that is the villa next on my list!!!
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Thanks for the installment, suzi! Just curious, what did you think about Idyllic? We are staying there in a couple of weeks. it look really nice on the web site...any info?

Thanks,
-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

suzi

Post by suzi »

Hi- Yea, Idyllic is an older home in Great Cruz Bay Estates. Looks to be more wood, than the newer stone and concrete. It is a great neighborhood, in case you haven't stayed there before. Nice large pool and a brand new kitchen!!! I think one of the bedrooms and the bath has been re-done recently. the other 2 bedrooms and bath are "original", read "older". Very private!
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

ouch - We leave next Friday and are staying in..... Palm Hill Villa!!!

Please elaborate a little bit on what is going on with the construction. Times of noise, types of noise, completely runinng the view?

We reserved it a long time ago. There was mention of a house being built but timeframes can never be tied down.
suzi

Post by suzi »

ohhhhhh...sorry Sleehog.... I really debated on even mentioning Palm Hill...PH is realy really pretty and so NEW!!! Right below it ( so you would have to look down) there is construction on a new house or addition . so I guess if you are sitting on the deck you may not see the construction, because you would be looking out. When we went walking in the morning, around 7am- 8:30 ish, the noise was going full blast. General construction noise, back hoe, jack hammer, buzz saws. Don't know what time everything stopped, but can't imagine that it went on too late in the day. OK...think positive...you will be arriving on Friday, so no noise by the time you get there. Workmen gone. then Sat and sun it will be peace and quiet. so you will have noise in the morning the rest of the week, but then you go out to the beaches for most of the day and they should be gone ( hopefully) by the time you get back. right? YOu will be fine...I just would be really upset in morning, because I LOVE the peace and quiet of the morning!!
Now worries, man...you'll be in STJ
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

Thanks for the reply Suzi. I just spoke to the folks at DSJ (hi if you see this :) ) They confirmed the concrete walls are being poured for the house which is down by the water. The heavy excavation was down a year ago - which generated complaints from renters. They had not receive any complaints from renters of the house during the current stage of construction, so that is encouraging. They have always been very helpful with our questions and they were forthcoming about the new house being built when we reserved the house.

Construction is a fact of life on STJ. At some point, the villa behind Palm Hill had to deal with its construction and change to the view.

I am going to keep an open mind about this and roll with the punches - rum punches that is :)
suzi

Post by suzi »

Good attitude, Sleehog. I like the rum punch idea!!!
IRBO-STJ

Post by IRBO-STJ »

Sleehog,
I rented Palm Hill 1 1/2 years ago. There was very little construction at that site at the time there was no noise.I can say that we loved the house and location.We tried to rent it again last Nov but it wasn't available for our dates. It was very quiet at night and we loved the lay out of the house with the bedrooms seperated it worked great with our group.
Feel free to ask any questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Amy
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

Thanks IRBO - I sent a PM taking you up on the offer to answer some questions :)

sleehog goheels
laura

Post by laura »

Hi there!

I'm mostly a semi-shameful lurker but I felt the need to reply here because my hubby and I stayed at Palm Hill last year in June for our wedding. I guess this was when the "excavation" was happening and I can tell you that while we had one day of rather loud noise that certainly did not time very well with my rather liberal use of rum the night before, the construction was in no way a "vacation ruiner". We LOVED Palm Hill - the views cannot be beat, the pool was amazing and it has a homey feel to it with great amenities. Feel free to PM me with questions and I have pix as well.
suzi

Post by suzi »

Hopefully all the loud stuff is over at Palm Hill for Sleehog.