Would you really move?

Travel discussion for St. John
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

I grew up boating with my parents on Kentucky's rivers and lakes. Almost every year, we vacationed at a beach in Florida. All my life I've felt like I should be living somewhere warm and tropical. Undoubtedly, vacationing on STJ is completely different from living there. BUT, I'd sure like to give it my best shot. If we could figure out how to keep from starving, I'd be there tomorrow!
RickG wrote:Yes.

September 1, 2015.

Cheers, RickG
RickG - Does that happen to coincide with an empty nest? Just curious, because we're doing that countdown right now. Makes me :( and :) to think about it.

pj
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
sqd

Post by sqd »

My husband and I are emptynesters and done with the obligation (social at least) of our kids. HOWEVER,the reality is....they come back again and again. We do not feel the obligation (after all the "social" part of the obligation is over...school, college, weddings, one divorce....), but they never go away!
Seriously, we almost stayed in STJ when we were there over Christmas...and had a business we could have stolen. The truth is we are extremely fortunate to have all four of our parents still with us. I think we will be fortunate to have them probably for 10 or 15 more years. (Everyone, thank goodness is living longer). They are careful with their $, so they wouldn't spring to come with us. Our kids can't afford it, so we are putting together trips to take them.

So, we are stuck in the middle and will probably be working until we are 100!
Whats wrong with this picture....?????
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

sqd wrote: So, we are stuck in the middle and will probably be working until we are 100!
Whats wrong with this picture....?????
Don't feel stuck. Many are deciding never to "retire". My wife and I will never retire. My father hasn't retired even though he could. My father-in-law tried to retire, but decided to keep working. Those that do decide to retire can always work for charity and help others. Our whole family will continue to work until it's impossible, but we have nice vacations to always look forward to. Retirement isn't for everyone.
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

When I was growing up our family always took annual vacations to a beach so I thought that living on or near a beach would be sweet. So, when my wife and I had the opportunity to move to FL 7 years ago we took it. Thought we would be spending lots of time on the beach even though we were not living on it. The first year or so we did pretty much every weekend. Then that fell off and we might go to the beach a couple times a year. Work and life sort of gets in the way. So, now if I was to move to the VI's somewhere I would have to be retired. In that circumstance I would do it....being that I did not have to work and everything that goes with that. But now, while working...no. I think that would spoil the VI's for us :roll: We have learned from this relocation that its not all beaches and lounging around. Not that we regret moving at all, we are 100% glad we did, but just a bit wiser. One thing we have learned is that once you live in a warm climate, near a beach your friends and family will come to visit. That is an undeniable truth. Friends or family would not hold me back from moving. The having to work would be what holds me back. For the time being we will just become "wiser" by visiting the VI's for a week or two per year :D
sqd

Post by sqd »

Tropic at Heart wrote:
"Many are deciding never to "retire"
I agree! Why retire....I still would love to teach at that STJ school one day! A lifes's dream after 30 years of praticing law......
RickG

Post by RickG »

pjayer wrote:

September 1, 2015.

Cheers, RickG
RickG - Does that happen to coincide with an empty nest? Just curious, because we're doing that countdown right now. Makes me :( and :) to think about it.

pj
Yep, the youngest goes to college around that time. I'd like to take a two year sabbatical and spend it sailing. We are in year 3 of the ten year plan.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
CHM

Post by CHM »

Thanks so much for all of your replies. It sounds like most people have the same feelings about this that we do although a few points were raised that we have not thought about.

We are in our thirties with no children (yet). We have started thinking about moving more and more, especially if children are not possible.

Hurricanes are a factor, especially after living through Katrina. Hubby's parents are not in the best health. We are very close with our nieces and future nephew. We have worked hard to have a nice home and careers. When we sit down and really think about it, St. John is where we want to be - just not sure if we are brave enough to take that leap right now.

In a perfect world we would spend half of the year on island and the other half here. If we ever win the lottery we are there (on a private jet with our Golden Retriever, Sadie)! :D
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

We just recently made the big move and so far have not regreted it one bit. There are good points and bad. You know all the good points, its usually the bad that everyone wants to know about. Probably the biggest one is missing our friends and family. We had a great group of boating friends back home and I miss them the most. I really thought they would visit but none of them have so far. The other down sides are the bugs, water conservation, no a/c, no dryer, and of course working. We don't go to the beach every weekend but we go more often than just a few vacations a year. And every day after getting off work we have the best view ever. So I would say over all the pros out weigh the cons. This is something we thought about for several years before actually doing it and we both had jobs before moving down, so that was a major deal. And we don't have kids so that's another big factor. We've only been here five months so everything is still new and our feelings may change over time. But for now, it was the best decision we ever made.
Deb
http://livedelifeusvi.blogspot.com
Last edited by mrscaptainjay on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

RickG wrote:
pjayer wrote:

September 1, 2015.

Cheers, RickG

pj
Yep, the youngest goes to college around that time. I'd like to take a two year sabbatical and spend it sailing. We are in year 3 of the ten year plan.

Cheers, RickG
Sounds like an excellent plan! Good luck!
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Mentally, I live there already. The weather is always perfect. The beach is always deserted. The beer is always ice cold. And my wife is always nekkid :wink:

Life is good.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

savvy

Post by savvy »

yes, I would move there. As I grow older, winters in Wisconsin become harder and harder on my body and spirit.
patr

Post by patr »

Thanks mrscaptainjay for an experienced answer. I've heard other island folks say living there is nothing like vacationing there. You do NOT go to the beach everyday, eat out frequently, etc.

For all of you who think once your kids are raised and their educations and weddings are paid off, you're home free - well let me say this - the next step is GRANDKIDS!

Those little ones tug at our hearts and our free time, I think ultimately they are the main reason (and $$) that prevents us from chucking it all and movin' to the rock.

Besides that, if we actually did make the move - what would we fantasize about? :roll:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

For me....yes. Maybe not forever and maybe not year round, but yes. I'm flexible enough that I don't need to have my life plan in order (and actually prefer not to). I don't mind change, I wouldn't even mind working in paradise, it's all part of the balance. Friends and family could visit. My kids just graduated from high school, so I could definitely see this in the 5 year plan. (I'm ahead of you Rick :wink: ) Hubby and I are looking forward to putting our sailing lessons into practice and we still have a lot to see in the VI's and BVI's. Everywhere has pros and cons; it's not perfect anywhere but I'd imagine that STJ is an experience worth venturing. For now, I'll just hang in there until the next trip rolls around. November soon come! Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
RickG

Post by RickG »

b-as-u-r wrote:I could definitely see this in the 5 year plan. (I'm ahead of you Rick :wink: ) Hubby and I are looking forward to putting our sailing lessons into practice and we still have a lot to see in the VI's and BVI's.
Group marriage? Lagoon 500?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Linda J

We did move

Post by Linda J »

We moved from Kentucky to St. Croix 5 years ago. We like it, but it's definitely not for everyone.