Gift Basket & Cake Questions - Who & How Much? ...

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Gift Basket & Cake Questions - Who & How Much? ...

Post by Gromit »

Someone (I think it was one of the guys) on the board made mention of a really nice gift basket they arranged to have at the villa waiting for their wife prior to arrival.

Since it's my in-laws first trip down I was thinking of doing something like this for them and have it waiting (beyond what the villa co ususally leaves).

We're also celebrating my father in laws birthday and my birthday while we're down there. I remember that folks in the past have arranged for specialty cakes.

Also can you give me a range on pricing?

Any referrals for baskets and/or cakes is most appreciated!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ruth at St. John Spice does wonderful gift baskets, and Baked In The Sun is supposed to make a fabulous cake! I haven't had one of their cakes, but there are many rave reviews on the forum. Good luck! :D
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks Cali Girl-- but to be more specific I was thinking more along the line of a basket with fresh fruit, snacks etc.

Does Ruth do this as well?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

you could try Suzie Christy. She can arrange just about anything you want.
California Girl

Oh, a food-type basket. I don't know if Ruth does that or not. But I bet she could. You should drop her an e-mail. :D
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Gromit, Seamus made my wedding cake and I have him make a small recreation for my anniversary. They are pricey but delicious. He's at http://www.usviwedding.com/wedding_cakes.html

Someone did a TR and had a Baked in the Sun cake that they loved so you can't go wrong there either (especially if it's cheaper).
NancyB
DiverDrew

Post by DiverDrew »

I posted about a gift basket I ordered from East West Catering for our trip in May. We ordered the 'basic welcome to paradise package'

It was a lot of food and lasted several days. They were easy to work with. Here's the link:

http://www.eastwestcatering.com/villapro.htm
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

THAT's IT Diver Drew-- I knew I saw it somewhere! Thanks -- this is what I was looking for.

But I am still open to ideas form folks especially on the Cake front.
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

I know welcome baskets have been discussed many many times here in the past. My understanding is the individual owners pay for them, not the villa management company. I am not clear if it is a requirement for the owners to do so or not as part of their contract with the villa management company. Anywho – I was wondering if this would be an appropriate question to ask Destination St John? For some reason this one seems a little awkward, like asking somebody if they are giving you a birthday present :) We have had baskets at 50% of our previous rentals. If there isn’t going to be one, I am fine with that. I would just like to know so I can plan on ordering one or not. Oh the quandaries of vacation planning for St John ;)
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Sleehog-- I'm not worried about the Villa providing this. If they do great, if not that's OK.

This is something I'm planning on paying for myself and arranging myself in addition to or in the absence of anything the Villa Co usually does.

Thanks tho.
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

I know what you mean - I dont mind buying one at all, I would just like to make sure there is something there :) The bad thing is fresh fruits and vegetables dont seem to fair that well down there so i would hate to have an overload of stuff.

I also was perusing some old TR's and found this by JSL in a june report last year:

"We headed back to the villa around 2 p.m. with our daily stop at Starfish for some last evening provisions (whiskey) and Baked Under the Sun for DM's birthday cake. The cake, which cost $42, is a yellow cake with chocolate mousse and chocolate ganache filling, white buttercream icing, and white chocolate sea shells. I will make sure to take pictures before we dive into it and will try to post them "
California Girl

Sleehog, I understand your trepidation at asking the villa mgmt. co. about whether or not you'll be getting a welcome basket. If I were you, I just state it as you did in your post... "fresh fruits and vegetables dont seem to fair that well down there so i would hate to have an overload of stuff." I'd just say if they are not leaving a basket for you, that you'd like to pick up a few things on your own. :D

By the way, JSL posted a picture of that cake somewhere and it was absolutely gorgeous!!
TropicalFocus

Post by TropicalFocus »

I would not hesitate to ask the villa rental company what they offer for a welcome basket. The better companies help accomodate special requests. Especially if you're willing to pay for it. Some provide very generous welcome baskets.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone - reporting in from Kansas City :)

OK, Baked in the Sun makes all of my cakes (Birthday, Anniversary and our Wedding) and they all have been fabulous.

As far as the welcome basket I would ask but be sure to ask if it food related or not - I know one company does leave a "welcome basket" that consists of a small soft sided cooler (6 can size) with their logo on it.

Good luck with the cake :)

Pia