iPhone help- how do I feed my music into my home stereo?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
martini girl

iPhone help- how do I feed my music into my home stereo?

Post by martini girl »

Recently purchased the iPhone and totally love it. I have a cable connected to my home stereo that I could plug into my iPod nano to get the music to play both inside and outside of my house. Last night, went to hook up said cable to my new iPhone, turned on the ipod part of the phone and the music would only play on my iPhone. It would not stream into my home stereo.

How do I make this happen?? Can anyone help me?
RickG

Post by RickG »

Uhhh, is this an ipod docking station or a cable to your earphone jack? The latter should definitely work. The former might require an iphone specific cable.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

No docking station. I bought the cable a few years back to connect old ipod nano to the stereo. one end in the stereo, the other end in the ipod where the earphones plug in. It never dawned on me that I would have to purchase a new cable specifically for the iPhone. I guess i had hoped the same cable that works for the ipod nano would now work for the iphone. But now after thinking about it, Apple would not make as much money if one cable fits all. What was I thinking??
RickG

Post by RickG »

Strange, I don't understand why the earphone plug doesn't work - is there some special kind of plug required for a microphone/headphone combo? The apple website specifies that a 3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack is the right connector to us.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. VickiH is the iphone guru.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

I'm not positive, but the headphone jack on the iPhone may be different than your ipod headphone jack. Try setting your iPhone in the dock and use the line out port on that.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

martini girl

Post by martini girl »

okay guys, it works now. The lightbulb finally went on after I read your posts. I pulled the dock out of the iPhone box (which I had already stored away in the dark recesses of a cabinet) and plugged the cable into the dock. It works like a charm. Must've been having a blonde moment. Thanks for your quick responses. :D