Getting Nervous!

Travel discussion for St. John
traveler22

Getting Nervous!

Post by traveler22 »

Hi all,
My 14th trip to St. John is approaching soon but it will be the first with our 3 kids, we usually take them to the Outer Banks of NC in the summer and save St.John for our adult only trip in the winter. My question is,
any suggestion from past expierences to make the travel easier? kids are 14yr old girl and two 9yr boys
We do have a direct flight from JFK and are staying the first night in St. thomas at the BW Emeral Beach and are hoping to take the 11:00 am ferry from CA over with an early check-in.
Am I missing anything? other than you guys (beat you to it)
Thanks for the help!
VayCay

Post by VayCay »

asprin?? :D :shock: :lol:
benchill

Post by benchill »

We are also taking our kids along for the first time. We leave Sunday AM. We have always gone on our own or with adult friends. Our girls are 22 and 14. Can't wait to see what they think of it.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

My suggestions are probably things you already do. Bring plenty for them to do while in transist (DVDs, games, books). Perhaps save a DVD that they don't know about for the trip home or a rainy day. Separate seats are mandatory! :lol: Lots of TUMS. :lol: Bring your own patience and sense of humor.

Most importantly, remember taht it's supposed to be fun.

Have a great trip

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jectac

Post by jectac »

One of the best things I did this year when traveling with (2) 12yr olds & 9yr old was to purchase cheap backpacks for each. They loaded them up for plane travel with their electronics, then they became their beach bags while on island. They had free reign to bring along what they wanted with the understanding that it was THEIRS to carry. It worked out great, as each bag held their towel, mask & fins, extra lotion along with a snack and an extra bottle of water. Each day they were responsible to re-pack when we left the beach. The bags were then cleaned and became their carry on's for home.

It lightens your load.

Tracy
suzi

Post by suzi »

We leave tomorrow ( Sunday) too!!! Our 8th trip to STJ. Our 17 yr old twin girls love STJ. Its a tradition that I pack a little bag for each to open on the plane,( yea, I'm still doing it) Underwater camera ( found them today for $10) bubbles, books,gum,little notebook to write down thoughts and activities, etc.
RickG

Post by RickG »

When my kids hit 6 (11 & 16 now) they go to 100% carry your own stuff. Their school rolling backpacks have more capacity than they need. I take my youngest early riser out for a walk in the morning EARLY and then toss her in the and cook breakfast. I manage to load them in the vehicle around 9 for the beach, with lunch pre-packed.

As for diversions, books, DVDs, ipods (!!!) work well. Horesback riding with Dana at Carolina Corral (1-340-693-5778) is a crowd pleaser. My daughters love food everywhere, but snacks at the Beach Bar is a big hit. Giving the girls cash to get ice cream is a favorite activity - all while I have my feet in the sand with a Dark & Stormy in my hand.

Life is good.

By the way, my daughters are pushing for an Anegada trip next summer. I'm cool with that!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

I can't believe you have been to STJ 13 times without the kiddos!! That's amazing! My boys, now 14 and 9 have been to the island 4 times and they are now sick of the place! Poor "spoiled" things!

I always remind them how lucky they are to vacation in paradise and that I never even flew on an airplane till I was 18! (and that was only to Lubbock, TX!)

Sooooooo . . . I'm happy to say that hubby & I are returning to paradise in October without them~~~~~~

Back to what to do with them. They secretly had a blast hanging out and snorkeling on the many beaches. They loved the chicken strips & curly fries at Woody's. They swam a lot at the villa and saw shooting stars in the hot tub. And all the sun & fun made them sleep like babies!
Sorry they will miss out this year and get to stay with the grandparents . . . boo-hoo! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

First, my wife and I were both married before so it is my 14th trip and her 4th. My son was there twice when he was 9 months ans again a year later but he doesn't remember it and they was more of a feed and nap on the beach trip. This is different with the a teenage to keep amused. I know, I know she's in St.John but she really doesn't appreciate much but her friends.
Msgcolleen- my first flight was to Lackland AFB for
basic training!
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Hi Traveler - if she has one, let the 14-yr old bring her laptop (as long as the villa has internet hookup) That way, as least while everyone is vegging at the villa, she can still keep up with friends. Sort of like a tradeoff, she's happy/occupied while at the villa, yet agrees to be cooperative when not at the villa. Have a great trip. We're headed to WCNJ on Thursday. Would rather be heading to STJ!!
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

we recently traveled with our 18 yr old and 13 year old to stj. they loved it! it was their 1st time to snorkle and after seeing a turtle at Maho on day 1 they were hooked.....

we brought a family movie (quite a challenge with our age differences) for each night....after a full day in the sun (we were on beach by 10 am each day)it was the perfect way to end the day---they were wiped out and in bed by 10 every night. do buy them a couple of underwater disposible cameras.

each kid had their on roll on suitcase + backpack (all carryon). Having their own snorkle gear was a plus and it fit in their carryon. I stuffed a lot of dry food, junk fund, spices etc in our luggage....teen snacks are expensive on island.

we did a day sail that they loved--again their first. both kids are strong swimmers and although i worried they would freek in 20 ft water, they did not....

they loved woody's, beach bar and shipwreck for dinner (we went early) and vies for lunch. beaches we visited (and I would do all again): vies, maho, gibney, trunk, honeymoon...smoothies, iscream were fun to. hey, they even did the jazz bruch at the beach bar...they also like visiting the ruins (saw donkeys)

imho, leave the laptop at home. our villa had wi-fi and my daughter was certain she needed a laptop. but we did carryon (checked 1 bag-a cooler) so we said no room. she survived and we enjoyed her compay for a change!! i was worried about the boredom factor, but it never happened....just to much to see and do...hey they even read a couple of books.

we did the private taxi...after a long day of travel it was great to have that! she was waiting even though we were 30 mins early...

I am sure you already know, but you do need their orignal birthcertificates if no passports..
Bill in Va

Don't forget the bowling balls and shoes

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo...Hey am I the only one to remind the folks to bring their bowling balls and shoes?..WOW that would have been a close one....Looking forward to Beach Bar Bowling in a week....God bless...Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, they're a big help
Bill in VA- I'm taking my shoes but renting the ball with AA charging by the pound, I roll a pretty heavy ball 8)
mdcoles1- the boys have been snorkeling in the pool all week to get ready!
RickG/jimg20- ipod,books and nintendo DS already packed and if they pack it they carry it
VayCay-asprin,Tylenol,pepto,earplugs and Ipods
MG-myspace,nuff said
jectac-backpack/snorkel carrier check
I know it won't be as relaxing as the adult trips but I can't wait for them to experience it 8)
arenee

Post by arenee »

Hi Traveler22,
My kids are 6 & 9. They have been to St. John 3 times. Each trip I have gone to the Dollar Store before we have left and bought little bug catcher nets. The kids ran around the outside of the villa all week trying to catch lizards with the nets. I can't tell you how many hours they spent trying to catch one. The nets are easy to pack and we leave them at the villa at the end of the week. My youngest was successful at catching one last year. All was great until we told he couldn't bring it home!!!! The only bummer of bringing the kids to St. John is that now I can't ever imagine going without them. They just have that much fun.