Cape Air or Air Sunshine?

Travel discussion for St. John
lavender

Cape Air or Air Sunshine?

Post by lavender »

Has anyone flown either of these out of San Juan? Trying to figure out my airfare for next March and can fly into San Juan so much cheaper than STT but then the next leg - getting to the USVI then BVI is the problem! Any advice or information would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Have not seen anything but high praise for Cape Air – newer planes and more service to STT and Tortola (Beef Island - EIS), bookable on-line. American also serves STT and EIS, although per recent announcement, its that American Eagle turboprop service that is going to be significantly reduced come Sept. which may enable Cape Air and the like to really raise their rates because demand from the BVI sailboat charter business will still be there.

Look at Seaborne too. I’ve always wanted to do the sea planes run by Seaborne. They go from Old San Juan to STT, and now onto to Virgin Gorda on weekends.

Air Sunshine is just about the only non-charter that serves Virgin Gorda. We used them a few yrs ago to get from VG to SJU and will be using them again. Older looking equipment, but no complaints. No computerized booking – they still work by phone and fax. You send you information to Florida, but BVI flights are billed through Tortola, so use a credit card that wont hit you with a “foreign transaction fee” for BVI charges (Yes, many do, even though its US dollars).

Also Caribbean Wings at http://www.bvi-airlines.com/anegada.pdf goes 2x week to/from Anegada for special price of $218 each way. I considered this option and called them recently. You gotta love the VIs – the PILOT answers the phone, says Hi my name is X, pulls his scheduler out, tells you what works, then tells you how much he loves taking people over there because he gets to snorkel all day, then tells you details about it, how many turtles etc.

Consider these options to travel “one way” because when you figure the time and ferry and cab costs of getting back to STT from places like VG or Anegada, these options start to make more sense. Example: few yrs ago, we flew n/s to STT, 1 week on STJ, ferry to VG for 5 days, Air Sunshine from VG to SJU, n/s back from SJU. Combined with a cheaper "multi-city" airfare option to/from STT/SJU vs. the straight RT airfare to/from STT, it was very close in total cost.

One more good thing: when you land in SJU with one of these small operators, they walk through a separate Customs and Immigration area, completely bypassing one of the main horrors of SJU.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide