Ditleff Point

Travel discussion for St. John
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Ditleff Point

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We had an interesting experience this evening on the way to town. We always have stayed in Fish Bay. On our first visit several years ago, we hiked the Ditleff trail down to the beach (we did turn right back around when confronted by an elderly gentleman wearing no clothes...oh, and the handcuffs that we saw hanging from an agave en route also was somewhat disconcerting) but, the point was that it was undeveloped then.

This evening, we drove out on the new road that is supposed to lead to the wonderful homes that soon come out there. As you enter, it appears as though there are plans for some sort of gate house...right where the old chain used to be. Then, there is a stone wall path, with steps, that now leads down to the beach. Once on the beach, we discovered a fairly elaborate irrigation system to grow newly planted palm trees.

I'm not saying that all of this is a good or a bad thing...it's just different. I suppose the upside to that development is that someday maybe we can rent one of those homes. Although, I must say, it is awfully windy out there. Windy=cold pool. Cold pool=bad.

This is not one of those "anti-progress on STJ" tirades. I just thought I would share what we observed for those of you who have stayed on this part of the island, or who know/knew Ditleff Point.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

You can see the plans and lot sites at ditleffpoint.com -- Interesting reading
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

We shared a cab yesterday with a kid who was going back home to Vermont who had been on island since the start of the "season." While in STJ, he made his living being a mason and he mentioned that the development there had started (stone wall) and that the gatehouse would soon be underway. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

As of now it is still open to the public, but once the heavy construction starts I heard it will be off limits. Enjoy it while you can!
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Wa La PETER BAY II meant to get Dittleff this trip and it never happened oh well maybe next time may have to be by way of boat. I kept going by Peterbay on our trip and wanted to try and sneak in. Hey the gates were open but my honey said don't you dare so I didn't gotta keep the boss happy :D
lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

Any recent visitors know if the Ditleff Point beach access is still accessible to the public? We are staying at Boatman's Point which is very close and would love to check out the beach before it becomes completely off-limits.

Eric
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

Does Ditleff have sand or is it primarily a rubble beach?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We tried to visit Ditleff a couple of weeks ago but they had a trackhoe blocking road access that day. It might have been a temporary thing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Ditleff has some sand, but it gets rockier close to the water. Here is a picture ---unfortunately from a cloudy day this past March when the water wasn't as blue as usual:

---Jim
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

hope I can visit in June, if the front is blocked how long of a walk