The changing face of STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

There have been clubs like this before, at least two, possibly three that I can remember. Obviously I never paid that much attention and it didn't affect my life (living here) much.
I have never spoken to any tourist who has been to one of these establishments. Maybe they just wouldn't brag about it to me, I don't know. Mostly, these businesses are supported by people who live here. All
these other places have come and gone, however, so clearly there wasn't a great amount of support involved.
They came, they went and most of the people who frequent St. John and these forums who are pretty darn knowledgable never even knew they existed.
What is different now? Is it really the fact of the night club and other things that go on that people don't want to see? Or is it the fact that information travels at the speed of light and people see and learn about things that they never would have known about without the internet?
Many things that happen here are reported as if it's the first time this has ever happened. Sometimes, that just isn't so.
For most of us, the hours that this place would be open would be hours that we would never be in town anyway. For those of you who are out and about at night, there will be other entertainment options for you.
That's my two cents, for what it's worth.
-Ruth
Last edited by StJohnRuth on Thu May 01, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

I've been waiting to see the responces to this one :lol:
These made me smile...

Mrsb wrote:
Makes anger about the unimog and sirenusa seem silly.

Yeah, maybe this will be one of the Unimog's stops! :lol:

sleehog:
honey, me and dave are going to run into Cruz Bay for some ice, see you in a few hours

Sleehog, you forgot to mention that you need to borrow a fist full of ones before you head out.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I like your answer, Ruth. Very logical. Personally, I'm not out and about at the hours this establishment will probably be open, so it won't affect me. If it's open during the day, however, it could impact the type of people who hang around that corner.

We all see St. John as pristine, but there has been all sorts of crime. I'd be much more concerned about that element of the local population who are committing these crimes than I am about a strip club.

Just my two cents :D
Last edited by California Girl on Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Bravo, Ruth!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Yuck, ick.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

(And that would be my reaction regarding STJ and anywhere else this type of establishment opened)
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I see a new way for some of us girls to fund our trips to STJ :) (TOTALLY tongue in cheek)

I am with Ruth, it is nothing new. Hopefully like the other 2 it won't stick.
bj

Post by bj »

Ruth is right there have been places like this on stj in years past. They also were right in the heart of Cruz Bay. They were very popular in the beginning with a lot of people who live on island, down islanders and St Johnians. They eventually closed, I would image this will also be the same for this new business. In my opinion strip clubs and lottery game machines parlors just seem so out of place in stj. Sirenusa was mentioned above and sadly that will never go away with time!
Peace,
bj
bevm

Post by bevm »

All the more reason to stay in Coral Bay. Having just returned after two weeks I can say that we will never stay anywhere but on that side of the Island. I can only imagine the crime rate increase if that becomes a reality. It makes me sad actually...:(
(Of course I'm already sad just being home..)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

:lol:
bevm

Post by bevm »

Very funny Jorge...You are very disturbed and I like that in a man... 8)
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Good ole' Jorge :lol:
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/