Snorkel Vest Vs. Ski Belt

Travel discussion for St. John
Waterlily

Snorkel Vest Vs. Ski Belt

Post by Waterlily »

I haven't snorkeled in 15 + years,am an asthmatic, and not as strong a swimmer as I use to be. Would I be better off with a vest or a ski belt?

Thank you for your suggestions !
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I also have asthma and not a super strong swimmer. Last year I used a snorkel vest and was very pleased with it. Honestly I don't think I really needed it that much but I just felt more secure with it. Plus it made me very easy for my family to spot and protected my back from the sun!
Waterlily

Post by Waterlily »

Nancy,

Did you bring your own vest or rent one for the week?
Also, what type of snorkel worked best for you?

Waterlily
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

A belt is easier to use and you don't get rubbed raw
Tom
RickG

Post by RickG »

We have two guys in our group that use vests. Big Red is uncomfortable with water over his head and loves his vest. Pat is very fit and probably has 4% body fat - he does not float at all. Both of these guys like their vests.

We rented a belt at Crabby's for my youngest in March and it worked great for her. Halfway through the week she was confident without it.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Waterlilly,
I ordered my vest from snorkelmart.com and also ordered a Rx mask for my very near-sighted husband. We were both very happy with the quality of the merchandise. As for the vest I got the kind that buckles in front, not the type that fits around your neck(the ones around your neck look like they might be uncomfortable) The snorkel itself was just a regular cheapie!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Belts!!!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

One thing about belts. My buddy is not a very good swimmer and brought a belt. He wore it around his waist and his head would go to far down for his snorkel and kept getting water in it. Moved it up around his chest and no more problems. Just a thought if ya have this problem as it took us awhile to figure this out.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

I tried the vest the first time at Trunk and found it most uncomfortable. I am not a good swimmer as I have mentioned. Rented a belt the last two times we were down and really think it is the way to go. You feel very secure and you can move around where I felt the vest was very constricting.

Can't wait to see my ticker!!!!!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

My son is 10 and although a strong swimmer, I still insist he have some sort of floating aid when we are in deeper water. He HATES the vests. We are going to try the belt for him in June. He doesn't want that either but he's getting it anyway. Still in mom mode here.

I use a noodle once in a while. I like them.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I vote for belts too. My son did great with one.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I vote for a belt. I’m a fairly strong swimmer but I prefer to snorkel in a leisurely manner so I usually use a belt. I gave my sister a belt and she liked it too (and she pretty much can’t swim at all without some kind of flotation device).
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Now that our trip is getting closer, the planning (arguing with teenagers) has started; my wife and two girls did their paperwork for passports on Saturday (only 4-6 week wait).
Not doing a boat trip this time (I lost). :evil:
Plan to do a lot of snorkeling Waterlemon here I come!
What is the plus / minus of T-shirts vs. a rash-guard shirt (15year old daughter said she would not hear one)?
My 11 year old is a strong swimmer how do noodles work vs a vest or belt
RickG

Post by RickG »

My 10 year old opted for a large t-shirt vs. a swim shirt for part of our recent trip. She would not say, but I expect that the swim shirt was a tad form fitting for her modesty. She has light skin, so must wear something. This was a Lands End shirt. Something heavy might drape better.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
engarom

Heres my 2 cents

Post by engarom »

I am a pretty good swimmer but very muscular so its a struggle for me to stay at the surface. I have used the noodle and the belt but all my muscle is in my chest and arms so still struggle. Well one day I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested a water ski vest!
I bought a very thin competiton water ski vest and I will never go back to the noodle! It fits like a second skin and keeps my chest and arms closer to the surface. I now snorkel for hours and if I get tired i can just lay back and relax.