STJ March 2008 - Underwater Photos!

Travel discussion for St. John
JC

STJ March 2008 - Underwater Photos!

Post by JC »

For those of you interested...I finally have my underwater photos ready to share from our trip this past March.

http://pirette.zenfolio.com/p366990201/

Yet to start on the land shots...

Enjoy!
Jen

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

love 'um. Thanks!!
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

Wow, some great shots! I would love to see a squid but I haven't been that lucky! Where did you see the turtles.... we had great luck off Caneel in the sea grass beds.
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Great shots Jen! Love the turtles, they're my favorite ones. Gets me excited for June...is it here yet?

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks Jen---great shots. Would love to see the land shots too.
---Jim
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Jen,
As I recall, you have a Canon SD850IS, right? I will be testing my SD850IS with the underwater housing for the first time in May/June. Did the housing get fogged up in the water? What did you do to avoid fogging?
Hope my underwater photos will come out as close to great as yours. Thank you so much for sharing!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Nice shots JC :D Love the turtle pics really got some cool lighting on some of them.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Very nice! 8) 8) 8)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Nice pictures! You got some great turtle shots. Where were you for those photos?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Thanks Jen - I really enjoyed your pictures - especially that creature by the spiny urchin - some sort of sea spider? Thank you for sharing! (I'm still working on mine from January...!)

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
RickG

Post by RickG »

Fun!

Hmmm, I guess I should get my camera out of the enclosure! It's been sitting on the dining room table since we got back. I think the maid is dusting it.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks a bunch!

The turtle shots are all from Little Lameshur. Believe it or not...didn't catch even one at Salt Pond this year...which in the past has been a guarantee!

Pickle...yes I used my Canon SD850 IS with the WP-DC15 Underwater Housing. This was my first snorkel with this model. Previously I used my 450 with respective housing. Honestly...I'm not sure that the 850 provided THAT much more in terms of quality!?!?!?! In any case...I am pleased with the results. Certainly it is not necessarily the camera quality as much as it is the lighting & depth of the water that results in better quality pictures. As far as fogging goes...I did very little...had NO problems. Be sure to properly lube the ring...as the instructions say...to prevent any leakage. Be VERY careful not to touch the lense with sunscreen fingers!!! :shock: I also bought a cloth lense cleaner...for that very occassion...and needed it! :wink:

Tracy...I tagged that creature as the "Spider Crab Thingy"...not knowing exactly what it was! :roll: Perhaps someone will have a more educated name!?!?!? :?:

Rick...Uh...yeah...my maid...well...he is still sleeping...Ron doesn't get up very early on Mondays... :wink:

Thanks again for the compliments! Makes all the work worth it! Back to the land shots...over 1200 to sort through...edit and post. Ugh. I'll put up the link when they are ready...just don't hold your breath...

Jen
179 & Out
320 & Out

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

these were great, thank you!
Tami
Image[/url]
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Great shots! Thanks so much for sharing them.