Leaving tomorrow morning...last min questions

Travel discussion for St. John
bulldoglover

Leaving tomorrow morning...last min questions

Post by bulldoglover »

Hi. Hubby and I are leaving in the morning for STJ (hopefully...if USAir doesn't stop their flights). Just had a few last minute questions before we leave.

1. Suggestions of some restaurants for dinner. We don't want to spend alot of money (on a budget bc baby on the way!), so something reasonable.

2. Which ferry should we catch going back to STT? Our flight leaves at 4:30 and we are doing carry on only. Also should we take the RH or CA ferry?

3. We have never done just carry on before. Thought we would try it this time based on our experience at STT airport last year. Any tips for this?? Have any of you printed your boarding passes at Connections ahead of time?

Thanks so much for the help. If any of you are down there and see a pregnant lady in a bathing suit say hi. That's me. :)
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
bulldoglover

Post by bulldoglover »

We are staying in Cruz Bay but rented a jeep so we will be on Coral Bay side too. Restaurants on either side would be great.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Restaurants I like that are not too expensive:

Cruz Bay
Banana Deck
Uncle Joes BBQ
Beach Bar

Coral Bay
Island Blues
Shipwreck Landing
Aqua Bistro (I've only been for lunch--not sure on their dinner prices)

Yes, you can print your passes at Connections.

Have a great trip, and congratulations on your soon come baby! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Nancy_B

Re: Leaving tomorrow morning...last min questions

Post by Nancy_B »

bulldoglover wrote:Hi. Hubby and I are leaving in the morning for STJ (hopefully...if USAir doesn't stop their flights). Just had a few last minute questions before we leave.

1. Suggestions of some restaurants for dinner. We don't want to spend alot of money (on a budget bc baby on the way!), so something reasonable.

2. Which ferry should we catch going back to STT? Our flight leaves at 4:30 and we are doing carry on only. Also should we take the RH or CA ferry?

3. We have never done just carry on before. Thought we would try it this time based on our experience at STT airport last year. Any tips for this?? Have any of you printed your boarding passes at Connections ahead of time?

Thanks so much for the help. If any of you are down there and see a pregnant lady in a bathing suit say hi. That's me. :)
1. Cafe Roma, Banana Deck, Lime Inn are reasonably priced restaurants.

2. I would do the 1:15 Charlotte Amalie Ferry. I always like to stay on island as long as possible. Just remember, this is a longer ferry ride so don't take it if you're not comfortable on boats with your pregnancy. If so, take the 1 p.m. Red Hook.

3. We tried printing at Connects when we were there in early March but US Airways was having issues. It turns out they changed the equipment on our flight. We didn't have any issues checking check in on time.

Have an amazing vacation!
Nancy
NancyB
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

Also try Rhumb Lines, now open for lunch in Cruz Bay and the Big Belly Deli right next to Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay.
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Congrats on the new baby.

You could also try Cafe Roma. The portions are big, so an appetizer and split entree might work. They also have pizza for take-out.

Have a great trip.

jaet
janet
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Bulldoggy-

Are you staying with Anna by any chance?
bulldoglover

Post by bulldoglover »

Steve S- we are staying at CaribSurf. The lady I have been talking to is Mary so I'm not sure.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We'll be up around the corner starting Monday across the street from the villa with the big marlin on the wall. Caribsurf is a nice spot facing out on Frank Bay. We checked it out last year - perfect for 2.

We like to walk down to Everyting at the Gallows for coffee in the morning. Will you be wearing your "baby on board" t-shirt/cover up? :lol: I'll keep an eye out.

Seriously though, I'll pm my cell phone to you if you have any questions on the island.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

mathayom wrote:Also try Rhumb Lines, now open for lunch in Cruz Bay and the Big Belly Deli right next to Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay.
"Big Belly Deli" might be perfect :)
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

patr

Post by patr »

Definitely stop by Connections and print your boarding passes. It was the best $1 we spent last year!
By doing carry-on only, you can bypass the check-in counter and proceed directly to customs.
When the line is all the way out to the street, you'll just dance on by! :wink:

Our favorite restaurants - Cruz Bay - Lime Inn;
Coral Bay - Shipwreck and Aqua Bistro.

Have a great time!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

I love CaribSurf. Fabulous location. My Dad stays there every year and we live nearby.
Some moderately priced restaurants that were not mentioned:
-The Inn at Tamarind Court
-Shela's Pot in the Park.
-Sogo's (Menu here: http://www.stjohnspice.com/sogosrestaurant.htm
It's a little crooked on the screen, but I can't figure out how to straighten it out, sorry! Just tilt your head a little.)

-Ruth
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

Maybe we were just starving after a day at the beach but we had very respectable pizza from the place right on the Cruz Bay beach up the steps from the Beach Bar. We sat there in the shade and enjoyed repeated trips to the bar there for more pina coladas and even had left over pizza for the next morning... okay, I know that's weird, but we love cold pizza for breakfast! Anyway, besides Uncle Joes BBQ, it was our cheapest meal by far. Most nights dinner ran over $100 for Morgan's Mango, Lime Inn etc but we always had a drink or two so that adds up... Does someone know the name of the pizza place I'm talking about?
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Hope I caught you before you leave. Liamsaunt suggested Aqua Bistro, but wasn't sure about its dinner menu. You can find it here:

http://www.aquabistrovi.com/

Most of the entrees are in the $20-30 range.

Robin