Six bedroom villa

Travel discussion for St. John
eehman

Six bedroom villa

Post by eehman »

Does anyone have a list of six bedroom villas- I have heard of friendship, ristaba, monte bay, paulette, johns' folly?
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Oceana (vacationvistas.com). I just love the look of this place and it is in Great Cruz Bay which makes it very convenient to town (which we like). I tried a few times to book it, but the dates were never right :)
Paula

Jumbiegirl

Try Chateau Margot!

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Chateau Margot!

It's got 6 bedrooms. We stayed there last June and it's beautiful. The bedrooms are not all equal, however. They are almost all very different.
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

Check out Villa Paulette, Villa St. John, and Great Expectations.

http://www.villafish.com/Browse-The-St. ... -John.html

We are doing a wedding at villa STJ next month and will be doing a walk thru on saturday if you have any questions.

PM me and I'll give you my info. I can call you as I walk thru and do an onsite review for you.

I know the other two houses fairly well.
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
steve

Post by steve »

We stayed at Casa Luna years ago, fantastic large house with great views in Upper Carolina above Coral Bay. I am not sure it is still for rent, it sold and was remodeled and for rent again then I am not sure...
La Jolla Caribe advertises 5 bedrooms but they have a media room with 2 Futons ... all bdrooms are different. Both houses were great family houses.
good hunting!
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

mathayom wrote:Check out Villa Paulette, Villa St. John, and Great Expectations.

http://www.villafish.com/Browse-The-St. ... -John.html

We are doing a wedding at villa STJ next month and will be doing a walk thru on saturday if you have any questions.

PM me and I'll give you my info. I can call you as I walk thru and do an onsite review for you.

I know the other two houses fairly well.
Would love to hear what you think of Villa St. John - we've rented it for New Years but am still curious as to whether it lives up to photos.
RickG

Post by RickG »

eehman, you know the rules for big groups to STJ, right!

- Don't invite anyone who is a whiner. Don't invite anyone that you would not spend a week with 1-on-1.

- I pick the villa and the week and people get to decide if they want to come. It's okay if no one wants to come.

- You get to pick your room in the order that you pay. I've already paid the deposit, so I go first. This deals with the equal rooms problem.

- One vehicle per 2 couples with at least one person from each couple on the contract for each car. Expect there to be an early group and a late group each morning. This is not a problem. I get my own vehicle. I'm in the early group and my lover is in the late group.

- Pick a beach each day that you will hit, 11AM is a good rendezvous time. The late group can usually make it and the early group will have done a hike and another beach already.

- Do happy hour at the villa. It's cheap and 6-8 people is a party. Bring Twister.

- Dinner for 6-8 is a pain in the a$$. Cook at the villa and do some date nights. Meet for drinks before and after dinner. There's always room at the Beach Bar and the Quiet Mon for 6-8.

- Expect to spend a day without leaving the villa. Start the blender at 10AM, but put sunscreen on first.

- Put $100 per person in a food/drink kitty for villa provisions. If someone is concerned that they won't spend that much and want differential treatment, they don't get to come. $800 will cover food and booze at the villa for 8 adults for a week. Dinner for 8 at Zozo's is $680.

Lessons learned:
- If someone whines at home, they will whine more on STJ.
- If someone pitches in at home they will pitch in more on STJ.
- 10 people feels much bigger than 8 people.
- Don't be afraid to say "I'm heading out. I'll be back for sunset."
- Newbies will assume the villa is on the beach, even if you tell them otherwise and show them pictures. If they can't get over this, they stay at the Westin.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Rick, Excellent advice! You are a very smart man.

Take care,
NancyB
villafish

Post by villafish »

As of 11/1/08 Innisfree is going to be offering the cottages plus the great house plus adding on bedrooms to create a 7 bedroom complex. Not sure when you are traveling, but this could be an option.
<p> Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness.</p>
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

Snorkeler525:

Tell me the details you want me to scope out. Although, if you've already booked, you may not want me to give you bad news (if any)...

I've been there before and it seems like a great place for a large family or two to stay. Separate buildings and kitchens, with a fairly decent pool. The kitchen is nice to work in and has a great open feel, and whoever is cooking can talk to whoever is pouring cocktails easily without getting in each other's way.

Very nice wood work and well-maintained.
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Rick, I like your list of rules! We had a great time with 10 (4 of those were kids; 3 families.) Great group, no whiners, everyone pitched in. (Including the kids; I saw to that!)

With provisions and dining out: we took turns paying for stuff and just wrote our names on the receipts, which we threw into a bowl on the counter by the door. On our last night, we just divvied everything up. No one sweated the money issue.

Each family had their own car and that was KEY because we had an early group and a late group too, or sometimes a later group, or a shopping group, or whatever. (And all of us newbies loved the roads!)

It's a great place for a group trip!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Rick....that description was priceless...I'm the planner in our group and I agree with everything you said! We haven't made it past 6 people yet, but I feel it coming and it scares me a bit. Armed with your advice, I feel much better!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

eehman, slim pick-ins I think, we hunted for a 5 bedroom for a while and settled for Sea View.

Hey RickG... nice advice for large groups. Our group is twelve, in 3 months. You had a lot of interesting points and pointers... I was reading them to my wife across the room and most of them we snickered in adgreement, and even named the whiner and helpers we had in our group-right away. We also know the early in the morning group and the late group... I've been concerned about this in particular from the beginning of the planning, which is what initially promted me to get 2 cars (the whiner in our group wanted to get just one...) Like I said, lots of good points and thanks for sharing. Were going to copy your list and show it to our group on our next trip meeting. :)

Dave 8)
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

Hi eehman,

I am on St John now and we have a group of 10. We are staying at Ristaba and love it! The main house has 4 bedrooms and there is a seperate cottage you can rent that has 2 bedrooms. The cottage only has one full bath so who ever stays in there will have to share a bath. It's very spacious with lots of upper and lower decks to sit and enjoy the view.

The only drawback is all four bedrooms are on the lower level and right next to each other. Not a lot of privacy but if you can deal with that, you'll love it! We are.....

The ocean is cold!!! (for me anyway)
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

I have to agree with Jumbiegirl and 2nd Chateau Margot. The property looks amazing and was our group's 1st choice but it didn't work out for us in the end.

And RickG's advice seems quite good, BUT I'm afraid as the "planner" for our group of 10...I maybe in for it :roll: I have a feeling that at least one of the group will balk at the concept of putting $$$ into a villa provision kitty...how would you handle that one oh great Rick with the group wisdom?? :wink:

Kathy