Introduction & need Airfare tips from Kansas City?

Travel discussion for St. John
Nic in KC

Introduction & need Airfare tips from Kansas City?

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi all,
I've been lurking for awhile here and decided to finally ask a question. We have our villa booked for May 2007 for our first real trip to St. John. Soooo excited! We visited for a day while on a cruise and a deserted Trunk Bay and Woody's were all we needed to know more of the island needed to be explored.

We have a third couple who has been on the fence about joining us so airfare hasn't been booked yet. I'm watching prices rise just this week and I'm getting a little worried. The third couple has decided to go, but won't be able to if airfare continues to be over 700/pp. I've heard that airfare often drops after the first of the year. Any thoughts on the cheapest ways to book flights, websites, etc are very appreciated.

Thanks for all the wisdom you've all provided so far!
Nicolle
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

welcome! I can't help much with the air fare but wanted to ask which villa you are staying in? Hope you enjoy .. you will get some great information here I'm sure!
robncindi

Post by robncindi »

Hey Nic in KC,

My brother decided not to join us this year in STJ because the airfare from KC is so expensive, they live in Springfield. What I told him to try is looking at cheap flights from KC that would get you somewhere that has cheaper flights to STT...but they chickened out, don't know what they are going to miss though!

Seems like a lot of times there are cheap flights out of places like FLL, MIA, EWR, JFK, ATL etc. So maybe you can get a deal to one of those and then a deal from there to STT...just a thought, it might be a bit of a PITA but it might also save you a couple bucks? :D

When in May are you going to STJ? We are staying in Miles Away Villa from May 25th thru June 2nd but I think we are going down to stay in the BVI or another villa on STJ on May 17th so our paths may cross!

Good luck to you on your flight seach!

Rob n Cindi
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We will be at Villa Capiz. MANY of the villas were booked and booking quick so we grabbed what had decent reviews and the options we wanted. Traveling will be my parents and my husband and I who will get the two bedrooms on the lower level and previous guests have assured me of privacy and my brother and his girlfriend were on the fence and will have to take the small bedroom upstairs. Hey, the villa will be free for them so they can't complain!

We'll arrive April 29-May 6 so Rob it looks like we'll just miss you guys! I absolutely can't wait! I'm currently finding great specials out of Chicago and Miami, I just need to find a good deal to either of those cities or somewhere else. It might work out that way...time will tell I guess!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Hey Nic in KC, we are staying there as well later in 2007. I hope you like it!
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Hey Nic - - We live in STL and fares aren't nearly that expensive. I think they are currently running around $450 or so on American. It would be worth the 4 hour drive to St. Louis or a $100 round trip ticket via Southwest to get here. I can't imagine the flights are $700 from KC :shock: CRAZY!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Nic,
Last year I booked our airfare from Kansas City to STT thru Travelocity. It was approx $625/person on American. I booked about 3 months out/before our trip. I checked airfare again about a month later and could have saved almost $100/person! I learned 2 lessons: first, don't check airfare again after you've booked and second, many major air carriers will give you credit toward a future ticket if fares are less expensive after you book. I'll check Travelocity or Orbitz to see which carriers have flight times and connections, but will book directly with the airline.
This year we want to fly the nonstop United from Chicago to STT. We'll catch a cheap Southwest flight from KC to Chicago the night before, then be on the United flight first thing the next morning. We won't wait too long to book because there are no other nonstops out of Chicago and it will probably fill up.
Good Luck. Let us know if you find anything reasonable.
Diane
Last edited by Diane on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Nic,
Just went to the United website and saw $429 roundtrip Chicago to STT. It's been awhile since I've checked airfare, but I think $429 is pretty good. You should be able to get a Southwest flight to Chicago from KC for around $100. We've never driven to Chicago to catch a flight (gas and parking expenses don't add up for just two of us) but since you have several couples, maybe you could consider that.
Diane
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I have an email from February two years ago where the rates from New Orleans dropped to $218. They are at $680 right now. I KNOW they won't go THAT low because of gas price increases, but we are hoping they go down in February.

Good luck! You will get hooked on STJ like the rest of us!

nothintolose
patr

Post by patr »

Hi Nic, welcome!

Don't know about flights from KC to Chicago, but right now Spirit has a great sale.

You can fly 2 persons round trip from Chicago to St Thomas for $577. But you must act quickly, I think the promo ends 12/30.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Diane

Post by Diane »

That Spirit sale must vary greatly by travel days or the better fares do not apply when we want to fly in June. Sat to Sat with one stop in FLL came up as $1,049 for 2 people w/ taxes!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Diane wrote:That Spirit sale must vary greatly by travel days or the better fares do not apply when we want to fly in June. Sat to Sat with one stop in FLL came up as $1,049 for 2 people w/ taxes!
My friend got a round trip flight from Los Angeles to STT for $423, but we got right on it the minute we heard about the sale a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it has to do with the lower priced seats selling out real fast and leaving only the higher priced ones? :?
patr

Post by patr »

Diane,

The travel dates end in May. I tried it and got a price of $577 TOTAL for two!

Maybe they'll have another for your dates at a later date.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Thanks guys for continuing to post the info. We are still looking for flights. I'd really like to get somewhere cheap from KC and then find a direct flight to STT like some of you are mentioning. Flying to STT from KC without paying really high amounts is showing multiple stops and that makes for a rough travel day! I'm going to keep looking and force everyone to book soon!

I did try Spirit and for our dates it just isn't working out to a good price!
pamtap

airfare

Post by pamtap »

Good question! Glad you asked this.
We have reservations in June but have yet to book our flight. We live in North Arkansas and are looking at Memphis or Little Rock.

Hadn't thought about booking to another airport for better rates. Thanks,
Pam