Roti,Pate,Johnny Cake

Travel discussion for St. John
Buckwheat

Roti,Pate,Johnny Cake

Post by Buckwheat »

Could someone explain these three food items. Are they the same things and who on SJ serves the best of these items.
mia

Post by mia »

I have very limited experience...but I do love the Johnny Cakes at Vie's on the East End...mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

This is my understanding of the foods and best places to getv them on St. John...anyone feel free to correct me!

Roti: a large flat bread, kind of like a paratha, filled with a hot (curried?) meat or fish, served with a chutney. (Miss Lucys)

Pate: a turnover-type item...basically dough wrapped around a filling and then fried: beef, chicken, or saltfish. (Hercules)

Johnnycake: a dense pan-fried cake made from cornmeal, served hot, sometimes with honey (Miss Vies)
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Joe's Dinner has a pretty decent Johnny Cake. We like to share them with the "street chickens."
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
JT

Post by JT »

The best roti I ever had was at Sweet Plantains.
Sputniks also has roti 1 day a week, I think. Sputniks is very much a local place in Coral Bay, and very inexpensive, where as Sweet Plantains is closer to fine dining.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Willy T has a killer Chicken Roti.

I second Pete's recommendation of Joe Dinner. I like it with cheese on it.

I don't think you can beat Hercule's Pates but some days he runs out so get their early.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

I've always thought of a roti as a very large burrito, but much better tasting.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hercule's pates are interesting, a short bread rather than a pastry crust. I think they are great. He makes a killer Johnny Cake too. Slightly better are the ones we get from Made From Scratch Bakery next to Tamarind Court.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

liamsaunt wrote: Roti: a large flat bread, kind of like a paratha, filled with a hot (curried?) meat or fish, served with a chutney. (Miss Lucys)
Yes, roti is curried - usually chicken, but sometimes fish as well. You can also find potatoes in the curried mixture.
JWC

Post by JWC »

Where are Hercules and Joe's Diner? Thanks
kirk

Post by kirk »

JWC wrote:Where are Hercules and Joe's Diner? Thanks
Joe's is across the street from Rhumlines. next to Cafe Roma. my favorite pate is from the Inn at Tamarind Court on tues and thurs.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

When you leave the airport in STT on your right just before Island Beachcomber there is a yellow truck operated by Matthew, sitting in the parking lot, he makes the best -IMO- pate. Great way to start your vacation and even better to have on the plane on the way home.
GaryLC

Post by GaryLC »

JT wrote: Sputniks also has roti 1 day a week, I think. Sputniks is very much a local place in Coral Bay, and very inexpensive, where as Sweet Plantains is closer to fine dining.
I'll second Sputniks! Julie (JuJu) is probably the sweetest, most loving woman my wife & I have ever met! We stumbled in there one night the first year we were there, and it's a main stop now every time we go. Again, very, very local, nothing fancy. Great place to get some drinks, talk to the locals, and JuJu cooks up whatever she feels like doing at the time, no menu to speak of. It's right next to the Donkey Diner, please stop in and support her!!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I love roti---but have had the consistently best ones in the BVIs.

In January, I had a rather gelatinous roti (disappointing, tasteless) at Miss Lucy's. I had a good one at Sweet Plantains. And a very good one at Gladys' on STT.