Swell Damage

Travel discussion for St. John
Puddlejumper

Swell Damage

Post by Puddlejumper »

Many of you already know of the huge ocean swells that plagued the VI last week. Well it seems the swells have caused some damage to coral heads. But first as you read, it does not say all coral is damaged. I wouldn't want any of you coming here to think that. You can still have a good snorkeling time!
http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/i ... d=17622481
JC

Post by JC »

The swells were absolutely incredible. :shock: I'll post some pictures...and perhaps video...when I can get to it.

Getting back into the swing of things is never easy...

Jen
335 & Counting

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
RickG

Post by RickG »

I was worried about Hawksnest. The elkhorn had been doing very well, but the reef is shallow there and it was getting seriously pounded.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That's too bad. We snorkeled over the elkhorn at Hawksnest for the first time in October and I was really impressed by the quantity and the healthiness of the coral.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

:( as if the coral isn't having a hard enough time already!

poor elkhorn.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

When the reports of the swells were announced that was the first thing that came to my mind was the elkhorn at Hawksnest. Hope it faired well that is one of my favorite snorkel spots. We'll see in May how it held up keepin my fingers crossed.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Well that just stinks just read puddlejumpers link. Glad I got to see it before this happened kinda makes me sick :cry: :cry: I snorkeled that reef at least a dozen times knew it like the back of my hand.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Bummer. Someone taking a reef survey at Haulover, on a rough day, recommended Hawksnest as an alternative. Hawksnest was very pleasant surprise.

Now I'm glad that we got there.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Just came home from a day at Magens beach -- there must have been a hundred sea fans washed up on the west end above the current tide line - purple, green and orange. And I saw a number of people collecting them too. Obviously recent as they were still bright and pliable, and quite odorous! There isn't all that much reef on the edges of the bay so something this devastating will take a LONG time to regenerate. It was a huge and unusual swell event but I have seen its equal here before and then of course there has been a few hurric***s.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Reading that link just made me heart sick. Hawksnest is my happy place. My favorite beach and my favorite snorkel.

All that beautiful coral. Well, at least it was mother nature and not man. Hopefully in time, it will recover. :cry: