Just don't get it

Travel discussion for St. John
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Agent99 pretty much hits the nail with us. Our area has so much to offer in the summer. And besides, my wife is not very heat tolerant, April just about pushes her to her limits. Even the mention of a trip in May to get better rates gets swiftly brushed off the table.
jenrale

Post by jenrale »

We have a few reasons for not going in Winter/High Season: way cheaper villas; more flowers are in bloom; warmer water (very important as we snorkel a lot); and - (most important) there is no way I want to take off in a snowstorm. I'm not normally bothered by flying, but wondering if they did a good enough job of de-icing the wings is just too much for me!!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I would like to go when it's really cold here, but I just can't justify the added expense and battling all the crowds. I like it when St. John's a little sleepy...

When we went in October last year, it was warmer here in Nashville than when I arrived at Cruz Bay. (It was cold when I came home in my new t-shirt, khaki shorts and flip flops, though...) We're going in November this year, and I'm hoping that it'll be cool enough here that I'll really feel like I'm jetting off to a tropical location to escape the cold.

If nothing else, I still had an awesome tan at Christmas and everyone was jealous.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
lavender

Post by lavender »

oh snorkelqueen....you silly silly girl.....OF COURSE all of us idiots that live in the frozen tundras of the world have to escape and I do mean ESCAPE from the hell that is our lives in the winter!!! We see no sun, only snow, sleet, clouds, and more snow, sleet and clouds for way more months than is believable. Today (our 6th day of spring!) we woke up to a lovely 14 degrees! Oh and of course snow flurries on and off too. Ahhh....to feel the warm humid air of St. John....
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

Having grown up in Philadelphia thru 23 winters, I moved here 12.5 years ago. I have not missed those cold nights one bit!

I have only been home three times during the winter months and twice was for family time during the holidays. It was weird having a warm Christmas the first few years, but now we have our own tradition of going to the beach.

Anyway, I think the best balance comes for the six weeks between the middle of April and end of May. Villa rates go down, the crowds are moderate, and the temperature difference feels great!
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Western New Yorker here (Niagara Falls/Buffalo), and it gets damn cold, more snowy for a longer time more than cold temps. Yes of course it's GREAT to get away during these times, but I'll take LESS CROWDS at a MUCH lower price during our summer months way over going during the winter :wink: ...
If I wanted to get to a warmer place for winter, with our budget I'll just do a small trip to Florida or something. But, I have never been to STJ in the high season, so I've never experienced it, but I would imagine it would spoil the STJ experience for me, as I don't like crowds unless I'm at a concert or something :D
Someone mentioned moving someone elses stuff on the beach to get to yours :shock: Are you kidding me? Does it get THAT crowded? I'd never go there again on the high season! :)
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

I would LOVE to be able to go in the off season, but that's my busy season (I'm a caterer) so I really have no choice. I do enjoy getting away when it's cold here and it breaks up the seasons for me, so it works for us!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile