Island Blues

Travel discussion for St. John
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

JT wrote:Jorge wrote:" JT, I hate, hate, hate this news. When I heard this I thought of you and how bad it would effect you. I know how much you love this side of the island. It must kill you to see the changes and the popularity that it has developed. STJ has changed so much that it makes me quizzy when I read about it in travel magizines. Sorry bro, Jorge"

I remember many years ago Howard Cosell came on Monday Night Football and told me John Lennon had been shot, and killed. This is pretty close.
Peace & Harmony, Joe

p.s. It reminds me of "Fiddler on The Roof!" Now if I were a rich man.....
Nobody died. There is no reliable source saying that they are going out of business.

Do you remember when Cosell had Lennon in the Monday Night booth? That was the set-up that made Cosell's later announcement so poignant. Cosell was an arrogant prick, but he gravitated towards greatness. He saw it in Ali and he saw it in Lennon. That emotion is what came out of him when Lennon was shot down.

In my humble opinion, Island Blues being up for sale is not the same. As a previous poster mentioned, all businesses are "for sale." The sun will come up and all will be okay. No worries.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:[quote="JTThere is no reliable source saying that they are going out of business.
Nobody except for Pia, who lives on island!

Pia, please post to confirm their status as soon as you know. This makes me very sad. Why would they close? They have a great location and good food...I thought they had a good amount of customers coming in...
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Liamsaunt

They are still open right now (can see them from my window) but a friend just told me of the closing as of tonight :(

I will drive by tomorrow and see what is happening.
Also RickG is staying in a villa opposite so he may post before I have a chance (maybe not though as he is on vacation - hi Rick :) )

Talk soon

Pia
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Very sad if it's true. I might feel as strongly as JT does about it. My May trip would definitely include plenty of time there...I feel bad for those working there, too.
IF it is closing, it does seem like odd timing, what with the blues fest and not low season yet. You'd think they'd make a few last bucks before just closing a door (if they even have a door there!)
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

What kind of lunacy is this???

My Island Blues Tee-shirt is getting a little tattered... I guess I need to slow down on the wearing cycle.

This is my favorite joint on the Coral Bay side. Skinny's is good - but Island Blues it is not!!!
JT

Post by JT »

Hey, Pete,
It is like a death of a friend, if it's true.
And yes Cosell was a prince amongst men, but he did have some redeeming value.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Subway and Sosa's closed? I think we've been to Subway once in our four trips, and never to Sosa's...But we were just there in December and they were both open, I believe. Pia, what are they going to put in Subway? Not exactly a "quaint", island type of building, you know?
theoverman

Post by theoverman »

wow, we had lunch there friday and it was perfect...very sad...we were thinking east end for '09...i guess the lesson is to enjoy things when they are right in front of you.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

In my opinion problem is the cost of villas your paying for a killer view and you spend the day at the beach you want to get your money's worth so more people are cooking in if they are bringing food with them or buying on island.
Tom
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Soxfan22

FYI, Subway is under contract and we are sure it will remain a subway (the contract was for the business not the building)

Pia
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

My remarks may have been insensitive. I was just saying that a place closing is not the same as a human being dying.

With that said, I think I get it, as I was upset to hear that Sosa's was closed. That was a special place for us. I can relate if any of you feel the same about Island Blues. As I said in a post on the Bongo boys' site, these places are threads in the fabric that we call STJ. It sucks when they go away.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I am still upset about this. We usually spend several lunches at Island Blues every trip.

Even if it does get sold and close down, I still have the memories of the feeling I get EVERY time I sit in one of those white plastic chairs with the breeze blowing and the music playing in the background while hoping my food will take a while to come out because I don't want that peaceful feeling to end.

That place (more than ANY of the restaurants) has alot of small but significant memories for me. I will treasure all of them and hope that if it reopens that the new owners keep that atmosphere in the new place.

It was there that I felt like "Island Time" was in it's finest state.

nothintolose

p.s. I am not refering to how long it takes to get your food as we never paid attention to that
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Too bad. We had such a nice lunch there last trip. Really good food and some type of shore bird was perched on a rock not two feet from my chair.

It took us 7 trips to get there and we kept saying "why did we ever stop here before?"
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I think there is some very special juju at that place. Over the years of our travels to STJ we've eaten in that building under quite a number of different names and it's been wonderful every single time. Hopefully the island jumbies will continue to watch over the place and the next proprietor will carry the torch ably.
Jennifer

RickG

Post by RickG »

We had dinner there last night after the BB forumfest (fun!!). No mention of closing and they had a full menu and every table was full.

We did the maho beach with Jay & Deb wth Shawnda yesterday. Life is good.

I'd be doing more posting, but my att broadband is running slow and the crackberry feels too much like work.

Peace. I miss Grumpy's and the Kite Bar along with my slim wast and red beard. Life contnues.

Cheers, RickG
Last edited by RickG on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI