Need travel suggestions

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nic in KC

Need travel suggestions

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi all,

A friend has asked me for travel help and I'm not having much luck. She is finishing grad school in May and wants a trip with three girlfriends in June. Money is tight and they are hoping to do 5 nights on a budget of 900 each and they were hoping for all inclusive. They've found Cancun as an option, but the beaches being destroyed by the hurricane is a drawback for them. I suggested a condo in Playa that appears to be in their budget, but I'm looking for any other ideas. It's a tight budget. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nicolle
LMG

Post by LMG »

Is the $900 each not including air fare?

Even so, I think you can do a pretty nice trip in Playa Del Carmen for that. We went for 4 days last year and didn't stay at an all inclusive and hotel because it's not my thing but, cabs and food were all under $400 total for both of us. We didn't have expensive meals out, but we had drinks and dinner and brought a cooler to the beach.

I have some good hotel suggestions if you need them, but they're not all-inclusive.

As for all-inclusive, I have friends that swear by the Riu and the Westin down there.
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

We did an AI at the Fiesta Americana in Cozumel four years ago for about $800 apiece for a week including airfare. You might check that out.

Not exactly 5 stars, but it was a great value and the beach was pretty nice. Cozumel isn't as pristine as it used to be, but still has good snorkeling and diving if that is their thing.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Are they looking for a relaxed or party atmosphere? What are their interests - snorkeling, sunbathing, dining? Where are they coming from - KC as well?

Besides the Cancun/Playa suggestions, you may want to direct them to Cabo San Lucas.

Other, more "budget" minded options are Punta Cana in the DR or Jamaica (they aren't going to be able to afford a Sandals, but maybe Starfish Trelawny or similar).

I am bored at work and just did some price checks - man is it expensive coming out of KC. Your friends might have to pick a few places and wait for a fare sale, if there is such a thing these days.
sherban

Aruba?

Post by sherban »

We went to Aruba last year and found that there were reasonable options there. Nice island, seems very safe. There is both solitude and "party-tude" on Aruba. Not sure about $900/wk in June but try Travelocity and select Airfare and Hotel package and check it out...let me know if you become interested in more info, I have pics, etc.
http://www.aruba-bb.com/
Cheers!
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Nic-
Don't they have charter packages out of KC such as Apple Vacations or MLT Worry Free?

You may have checked that already, but the charter air should be the cheapest whatever destination they choose.

Just make sure they buy travel insurance that covers weather and bankruptcy in addition to cancellation.

Good Luck!

P.S. They will probably need passports also, won't they?
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

How about a cruise? Very affordable way to travel, although I don't know which port would be convenient. Otherwise you'd have to include airfare.