Virgin Gorda

Travel discussion for St. John
lisa mcg

Virgin Gorda

Post by lisa mcg »

I hope this isn't a politically incorrect thing to do (Anthony I'm sure will let me know!), but I need some input on Virgin Gorda. We loved STJ but we want to see as much as we can in this lifetime, so we're thinking of going there next year. And I can't think of a better group of people to help me than you!

Thinking of Island Magic Villa on Mahoe Bay..anyone been? How is VG compared to STJ?
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

There are quite of few VIOL'ers that have also traveled to Virgin Gorda so I am sure you will get some feedback. We have only been there on a daytrip but became enchanted enough to plan a trip for this coming June. Will let everyone know how it goes.
laurie

Post by laurie »

There is an active travel forum for the BVI.
www.traveltalkonline.com (not sure why this isn't coming up clickable ...lots of sailors but they seem very helpful with all questions re: the BVI's
jmq

Post by jmq »

Last edited by jmq on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
BPT

Post by BPT »

Lisa,
We love St John and VG and sometimes split our stays between the two because we miss them both! VG is pretty quiet. Fewer restaurants but still some very good ones. Mahoe Bay is a nice area. We almost stayed at Island Magic once but chose Open Deck instead. The villas are very close together so the feeling is not as private as some villas we've stayed at on St John. We have stayed at Little Dix but our favorite is Guavaberry Spring Bay. Their beach is incredible looking down the channel. It's one bay over from The Baths so you can snorkel around the corner to them or by the road it's a matter of minutes. They have an "honor" commissary which is extremely well stocked and priced. They offer the "homes" and they also have "deluxe villas" which are not "deluxe" by St John or Mahoe Bay standards but it is barefoot, laid back and heaven! Please let me know if you'd like more info (or opinions!).
Ken

Post by Ken »

We just returned from VG in January and loved it. Great place, and we really enjoyed poking around the Baths area when there were no other people there. Big props to Guavaberry Spring Bay - super people, nice place, great location, and beautiful beach. If you go, plan a day renting a boat in the North Sound - best day of our trip for sure.

Agree with trying something different. St. John is great (we're going back in June), but life is too short not to try other places!

Ken
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Lisa,

We have stayed at Little Dix's Bay several times and loved it. The last time was 4 years ago and we rented Anniversary house. It is above Liverick Bay. It is better than the pictures show. It is our favorite house anywhere. You have views in every direction.
Virgin Gorda is more layed back and less beaches to visit. The Baths are great, and there are a few other public beaches that are very nice.
Or favorite thing was to call the restaurant on
Prickley Pear Island. You can see from the house. They would come pick you up and take you over to their beach. Great grilled lobster and beer.
I like both islands.
Beach Creecher
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Thank you Wanda Creech....Anniversary House looks great.....
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile