Jeep Rental...help please

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

Jeep Rental...help please

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I think we waited too long to secure our jeep rentals for our June trip. Choices are low! We are renting our villa from Destination St. John and they were able to find us what we were looking for, although they are not from one of the companies I had been planning to use. They are with Delbert Hill, who I don't believe has a lot that we can park in. I have searched and saw that Colleen had used them and was happy with them. (Yeah!) Is there anything that we should be aware of?

Also, some of our friends haven't booked theirs yet. They contacted their rental agency and received this reply:

For a rental car on St. John, I always recommend that you contact the local company directly. I have worked with all of the reputable companies below and find that they are all comparable in price and service except where noted. Whichever company you choose, please mention that you were referred by Shawna at WhereToStay.com.

Paris Car Rental
info@rentalcarstjohn.com
340-776-6171
http://www.parisrentalcar.com/veh_rates.shtml
rates do not include tax ($2/day) and insurance ($15/day)

St. John Car Rental, Inc., Cruz Bay, 340-776-6103, www.stjohncarrental.com
Requires a $100 deposit

O'Connor Car Rental, 340-776-6343
www.oconnorcarrental.com/

Courtesy Car & Jeep Rental, Cruz Bay,
http://www.courtesycarrental.com/340-776-6650
866-776-4228
Requires a $100 deposit

Cool Breeze Jeep & Car Rental, Cruz Bay,
http://www.coolbreezecarrental.com/340-776-6588
A one-day deposit is required to reserve vehicle.

The following companies have fine cars and good rates, however you may spend an hour on arrival waiting for them to process your paperwork. Not quite as efficient as we would like. Please keep this in mind if you choose to rent with these companies.

Varlack Car Rental Cruz Bay
(340) 776-6412
www.varlack-ventures.com
Contact Jeanie

Delbert Hill Jeep Rental/Cruz Bay, 340-776-6637

Conrad Sutton Car Rental, Cruz Bay, 340-776-6479, http://www.conradcars.com/rates.html
When you are in town you can park at his place, they are located next door to the Fish Trap restaurant.

Thanks so much!

That was fine, but my friend doesn't know where to start. I have filled her in with what I learned from my calls (Courtesy is out, St. John Car Rental wasn't sure, etc.)
So, I guess my question is "where should they start?" Who do you all recommend that they call first?

Thank you all for your help!

(and if you are going in June and don't have your vehicle yet .... get busy!)

Thanks everyone!
Image[/url]
Bug

Post by Bug »

I can recommend Denzil Clyne. I have used them numerous times and have never had a problem. Brenda is great to deal with and they are located in Cruz Bay. You can use their parking lot at night. Happy car hunting!

XOXO
Bug
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am not sure I can help but I can say after 3 rentals from Conrad Sutton I have NEVER waited 1 hour for paperwork to be processed. 15 minutes tops.

Carmen is very efficient in both the booking and the on-site processes.

Oh and their rates include collision insurance and convenient in town parking.
RickG

Post by RickG »

flip-flop wrote:I am not sure I can help but I can say after 3 rentals from Conrad Sutton I have NEVER waited 1 hour for paperwork to be processed. 15 minutes tops.

Carmen is very efficient in both the booking and the on-site processes.

Oh and their rates include collision insurance and convenient in town parking.
Agreed. We've used Conrad Sutton more than 10 times. Happy every time.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I reserved a jeep for our June trip recently with Conrad Sutton. I got a reply and the whole deal done same day within a couple of hours via email. No problems to report thus far.
lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

Wow...I better get moving. I am going in June and need 3 jeeps!

Eric
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks everyone so much! I knew that you all would help!!!
Image[/url]
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Also, while you should always book early once your plans are set, don't always worry: I managed to book a brand new jeep w/ Cool Breeze for 7 days with about one hours worth of notice! I extended my stay impromptu in Jan, during high season, and never went without a rental. It can be done!
It's the islands, one day nothing is available and later that same day they say they have plenty, just keep trying.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Ondine. That is good to hear. I will definitely keep that in mind.
Image[/url]
sasky

Post by sasky »

This really lit a fire under my butt to get a rental for end of May. Just emailed Courtesy, who we dealt with last year and were very happy with.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Sasky,
Courtesy was my first choice too, due to a good experience with them last year. They didn't have anything left our week, though. I hope that you have better luck!
Image[/url]
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

On 2/26 I booked a car with Courtesy for 4 days during the week of 3/15. It's a very last-minute trip, so I feel very lucky that I was able to find anything at all. I tried several ahead of Courtesy but they were all sold it, so I'm glad to hear the good reviews posted here regarding Courtesy. It looks like they plan to meet me at the ferry dock too, which is not per-usual from previous trips and previous car rental companies that we've used. Sounds like I hit the jackpot. Thanks, Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

We rented from Courtesy, too, but they didn't meet us at the dock. However, their office is located just a couple of short blocks from the ferry dock so it's super easy! :)
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Yes, you did good Ali! I didn't realize that you were going back so soon. Lucky you! Have a great trip!!!
Image[/url]