People that ship ahead

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

People that ship ahead

Post by Xislandgirl »

We want to ship a box ahead with our fins and some supplies so we can do carry on only. We arrive on a Saturday but in the afternoon. I am expecting to be on the 3:00 boat but after getting the car and getting to the house, I am worried about getting to Connections on time to get it and they are closed on Sunday. Any thoughts?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Ask your villa management company if you can ship to them
Tom
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I did and they will only accept via Fedex, which is way too costly, so I willl be going the Connectiosn route.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

How late is Connections open? You could make it your first stop after getting off the ferry. I think it's pretty close to STJ Cars so there wouldn't be too much lugging the box around if you went that route. (Pack a bungee cord in your carry on so you can strap the box on your wheelie bag.) Or divide and conquer, with one of you getting the car while the other gets the box.
Pia

Post by Pia »

X you can send it to me if you want - let me know and I'll PM my address to you then we can make arrangements for you to get it from me - maybe at Maho on Sunday :wink:

Pia
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Hi there!

Just a word of warning on shipping. I sent all of our fins, bug spray, some lotion and a few other things "ahead" this trip. I sent it about a week early via Priority Mail USPS. When I got down there, I discovered my box was sent back to my office in MA. Reason? No idea. By then it was too late. Had I thought it was any issue at all, I would have packed up a check-in bag.

Next time, I think I will try to ship WAY ahead of time, so that it has time to get back here before I leave!!!

Good luck!
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

Odd that it was returned.

We shipped two boxes, each took 3 days from DC area. Used mail center near Starfish.

Spent the extra .65 cents for tracking.

It does seem that the weight is not as important in this case as where it is going. The boxes were different in weight but each was $32 - $36.00.

Coming home we stopped by Post Office on the way to ferry - it was great to get home and not wait on luggage at 10:00 at night.

I'll never check again - when you arrive the baggage takes forever - when you are ready to head for STJ it is frustrating....
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

About how long does it take to get luggage at STT?
Pia

Post by Pia »

That depends on alot of things :)

If you arrive at "peak" times when approx 2-3 planes all arrive within a few mins of each other it can take 15 mins to 1 hour. If you arrive after 6pm and the bulk of planes have landed approx 15 mins+.

If they only have one belt working - hunker down for the night :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pia
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

we arrive at 2 on a Sat- guess it will be awhile
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I think St. Thomas baggage claim is as inconsistent as any other airport.

As Pia says, it depends on what's going on.
janet
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

ok- we'll just hope for the bst- guess that's why so many do carry on only
iluvstj

Post by iluvstj »

Try christysofstjohn.com