Ocean Grill

Travel discussion for St. John
hlsess

Ocean Grill

Post by hlsess »

I haven't read much on this place- can someone tell me a little about the menu and price range- is it ok to take teens?
lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

It is definitely appropriate for teens.

In terms of quality -- I would rate it as pretty average. I found the presentation and variety to be very good, but the service was poor and the overall food quality was pretty low-average considering the prices they were charging.

We made the mistake of dining outside which made things worse b/c there was very poor airflow (not on the water) and there was too many bugs. Overall it was nice to try once but I doubt I will be back.

Just my 2 cents.

Eric
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi there

First of all I think you sent me a PM (on another forum) and I have not responded - sorry but for some reason I can't get it open to see my messages so please forgive me for not answering you as I don't remember the questions :lol:

I have not eaten at OG - it is in Mongoose Junction and it would be fine for teens. I believe it is alittle on the expensive side - not as much as say Asolare/Chateau Bordeaux/ZoZo's but more than Banana Deck for example.

I think someone here just ate there so I'm sure you will get an update soon :)

Pia
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We ate at Ocean Grill last June for lunch and liked it a lot. I had the steak sandwich and I can't remember what my husband had but both were really good. I think their dinner menu is different, but I could be wrong.

They have a free drink coupon here:
http://www.couponstjohn.com/list.cfm?type=1
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi----I went to Ocean Grill just once, about a year ago, so these views may be outdated. I thought it was an attractive space---nice stonework, new mahogany bar, nice tables. Its not stuffy or formal---your teens would be fine there. It was fairly expensive, and I felt that I could have gone to another of the splurge restaurants (Stone Terrace, Asolare, ZoZo's) for not much more, and gotten slightly better food and a view to boot. Having said that, I'm planning to go back to Ocean Grill for lunch next trip (if I can fit it in), based primarily on the scrumptious pictures liamsaunt posted of the lobster tacos at lunch.

Unfortunately,there aren't that many mid-priced options in Cruz Bay. I'm guessing the sky high rents and food prices don't make it work very well, but I'm just speculating. My favorites are Rhumb Lines, Lime Inn, Morgan's Mango and Banana Deck. Others like Cafe Roma and Fish Trap---also mid-priced.

Another option is to go to the Caneel Bay Beach Bar in the evening. Food isn't just to-die-for, but its OK, and its a pretty Caribbean setting by the water with the torches lit. Your kids can get a burger and you can have something nicer if you want. If you do this, go on a night when they have some music---it will be livelier.
---Jim
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

thanks- what are your thoughts on Morgan's Mango -that's where I thought we'd go but someone said they didn't like it-
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

We eat at Morgan's Mango every trip. Its a fun, open-air setting with decent fish and great blender drinks. I don't go expecting memorable food, but I always have a good time there. They have music on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Tuesday is lobster night. Good pick for teens. If they don't love fish they can get a burger.
---Jim
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We usually go to Morgan's Mango at least twice per trip...their chimi churri sauce is outstanding. I love it with tuna.

They also have a good drink coupon (see the link above).
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

thanks- I think we'll just go here then- i printed the coupon- the snapper and mahi mahi sounds great and the calamari- only 3 more weeks
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Note that you can't use the coupon on Lobster night :)
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

our recent lunch was $60 per person with 2 drinks each plus two apps to split. All 6 adults really liked their food - fish tacos, lobster tacos, chicken sandwich. Nice setting. service was fine, on par with the rest of the island.
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

$60/person for lunch WOW- i think we'll skip it for sure-
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Yikes, that was $60 per COUPLE. Sorry!