What do you do?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
LysaC

What do you do?

Post by LysaC »

I've been very curious about what you'all do to pay the bills? STJ ain't cheap and some of you go down a few times a year :shock: !

We know what Jorge does.

I hope Liamsaunt is a chef... someone should be paying her for that gorgeous grub !

I'm in sales for the health insurance & the check and hubby has a dog daycare/boarding/training business. Animals are our passion (we met working for a veterinarain)... but they don't always pay the bills :roll: .
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I work for an Incentive Travel company. We take groups of companys' top performers all over the U.S. We plan everything from the hotel, banquets & meetings, optional activities, right down to the pillow gifts etc. We also sell promotional items. Anyone need a koozie or a pen with their name on it? :lol:

Rick works for Cox Communications in commercial sales. He sells TV, phone & internet services to businesses.

Oh, and P.S. - we're lucky if we get to go to STJ every 2 yrs. or so :D
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am an Executive Assistant in the Life Insurance world and Chip is the service manager for a Toyota dealer.

We live modestly so that we can travel.We live in a small ranch and while we have 4+ vehicles, the newest is a 1993 with 170K on it.
I could live in a much larger home and drive a brand new luxury car, but then I could not travel like I do.
It is a good balance for me. I live like a pauper and travel like a princess!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote:I live like a pauper and travel like a princess!
I resemble that comment!

In general, our household is not a consumer of "stuff", therefore we have more discretionary spending for other pursuits like travel.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I'm a photojournalist, covering mostly politics in Washington, D.C. and hubby has his own company doing marketing for Cable TV. Rick, you should get to know Mel! You have a lot in common. He has been in the Industy since the beginning. Started as a door to door salesman in Mich, worked for Comcast and now does direct mail pieces and telemarketing, his company is Q7 Marketing. Q7web.com
I paid for the first two times to St. John because I sold my house at the top of the market. Got lucky and I splurged a litte. I told Mel I was going with or with out him, and now he loves it as much as me. Now we own a timeshare at the Westin, does not have views as before but at least I'm guranteed my trip every year!
LC

Post by LC »

I work in logistics (import/export for all you Seinfeld fans). :)
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I am an attorney and have my own firm that specializes in representing management in labor and employment matters (union issues, discrimination cases, etc.)

Marcia is a personal banker...for now. Knowing her, she'll be the President of the bank in no time.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

I'm a graphic designer/photographer/web/video/writer/musician etc. Your basic creative-type Gemini who likes to do everything. My wife (also a Gemini) is an ex-interior designer who now is an Account Executive for a carpet manufacturer. We don't travel enough, but our goal is to make St. John an annual trip. I switched to using my Capital One No Hassle CC for the air miles exclusively. Hopefully, we'll have enough miles built up for next year's trip!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I'm a Dental Hygienist who had to retire 17 yrs. ago due to back problems from the profession. My better half is a stock broker. CG, we LOVE the folks that take care of us at our annual freebie company trips. We have one in less than 2 weeks at the Phonecian in Scottsdale. I have always thought your job would be so fun. Is it??? I sort of want to find some kind of part time job, but then again, after taxes, why bother. It's only going to get worse......income redistribution and all that.
California Girl

cypress - I love my job. And it's very fun! :D
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I KNEW it would be!! How do you get into the hospitality business?? Maybe when my 15 yr. old is gone, that would be my calling. Are you gone ALL the time. I do have my dogs to think of. :lol: Seriously, how do you get into that business??
California Girl

I'll PM you :D
engarom

We work hard

Post by engarom »

I am an Account Manager for UPS. My wife is a Commercial Real Estate Manager.
We live in a one bedroom condo and rent out our House so we can save money to travel and hopefully build in the USVI!
brenda

Post by brenda »

I am a Registered Nurse currently working in the Pre/Post Anesthesia Care Unit (Recovery Room). My husbands is an Operations Supervisor for Fed Ex. My 1972 kitchen is screaming to be redone but I can't seem to stop traveling. I do have newer appliances to go with my Brady Bunch cupboards :lol: .
Going "home" again October 26th!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Lysa- I think a big differentiator in personal wealth is what people inherit...that being said, I am an Engineering Manager with a degree in Electrical Engineering, my wife is an accountant. We both have to work full time in order to be able to do trips like Disney with the kids and STJ without the kids...

Cheers-