So, how'd you hear about STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

My in-laws had been down a couple of times and one fourth of July they handed folders to my wife and her two siblings with some STJ related info and $2k. We all came down the following February for the first time. Pretty cool, heh?
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Ok..I'll tell you...but you cant laugh...Does anyone remember seeing the KC video where he gets off the boat and theres a little sign saying. St John?..The Video was in black and white and I cant remember the name of the song..its been awhile and Im getting older everyday..LOL...I saw a few of his videos and was truly in awe of the water there. I then saw a documentary about Trunk being voted as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world..maybe on the Travel Channel or something..we went to STT on a cruise..I had to come over and see for myself what I was missing..I too hated to leave and swore Id be back..the rest is history..:D
[/url]
islandgirl

Post by islandgirl »

well my story is, i have dreamed for years of going to a caribbean island. wondered what island...ahh the virgin islands is part of the united states and i thought THATS It!!! first island trip, this should be safe. did not know about the magic of stj would get us so totally addicted big time. we have been going down 10 years now and its a part of our lives and souls. :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
lavender

Post by lavender »

Well.....many years ago my husband and I decided to honeymoon on St Thomas at Bolongo Bay. We were young (19 and 20), naive and really only chose St Thomas because we could afford it. We really did NO research - just went. While there we took the Bolongo Bay catamaran to St John. Believe it or not the island was not the most memorable thing. We disembarked the catamaran in 3 or 4 foot water to walk in. An "older" woman (but not that old!) went in near the front of the line to get off - got in the water - had a heart attack and actually died right on Honeymoon Beach. To this day I will never forget a minute about that excursion. As I recall it took forever for an ambulance to come and it was an old rickety station wagon - by the time it arrived she was a goner. It was an unbelievable experience.

Since our honeymoon trip in 1979 we never had money or opportunity to go back to the islands until 2003 when my husband got a big bonus check! I cannot even tell you why we picked St John - we just knew we would enjoy the Virgin Islands, chose St John and spent 11 days in paradise. Since then we have been back in 2006 and 2007. Sadly we aren't going this year - but next year definitely. It's just our kind of place and we love it.
sherban

my story

Post by sherban »

My wife and I are on a misssion to visit the Caribbean every year, first one was last year (Aruba), me being the researcher/planner, I started doing the research and was all over the map- Jamaica, Barbados, Mustique, Puerto Rico, St Maarten, etc... Then I got onto the "villa thing"..(while researching St Maarten)..that led me to the USVI and I started looking at STT and STJ closer...once I saw the view off the North Shore of STJ I simply had to have it. June 2008 heading to Catherineberg for our first STJ trip!
linne

Post by linne »

I have read all the stories about why you have chosen to visit STJ. Think I will tell mine because it’s a little different from the others. And longer!!!

We came to USVI, because we were interested in the HISTORY. 8)

As you probably know, the Danish owned STT, STJ and STX for nearly 250 years. We sold them to the Americans in 1917. :( But here in DK we still name them “Danish Vest India”, and many travel agencies have arranged tours to STT and STX. It was not a destination, which attracted us; we considered it as a “tourist trap”. :x

Then for some years ago, I decided to do, what I have missed as young, take a high school/college degree (a special education we have in DK where grown up people can go to school together with young people). In 2006 I was ready to have my diploma, but first I needed to make an undergraduate dissertation. Some month before I have seen some interesting TV programmes about the slave trade and the descendants of the slaves. So I choose to write about that, and why we sold the islands. I read a lot of books and became more and more fascinated of the history. So it ended up as a fine dissertation, and I got the highest mark, you can get. So now we had to see some of the places I have read and written about! We decided to go there in July 2oo7.Our plan was to spend most of the time on STT and STX, but I want to see STJ too. Want if possible to see some of the places, where the big slave revolt took place in 1733, see the old school, the sugar mills etc.

To help me to plan our vacation I used Tripadvisor, which I knew from other vacations. Via Tripadvisor I by chance found out that there were other forums, VINOW and VIOL, started to read and ask there, and then I was sold! Understood that STJ is just what we love, nature, beautiful beaches and snorkel opportunities - and not a tourist trap, which we have thought. So we changed our plan and spend most of the time- 10 days, on STJ, and we loved it. So thank you forum members! :D :D

Linne
sherban

history

Post by sherban »

Linne- Awesome story, thanks for sharing. I want to start an off topic thread on STJ history and hope to learn something from you over there. I am currently reading "A Brief History of the Caribbean", which has very little info about STJ, but is interesting. I also have a number of history reports on STJ that I haven't read yet. Hope to chat with you in OT forum about history more!
Cheers
sqd

Post by sqd »

All of my friends spent their honeymoons on St. John back in the late 70's early 80's. We just could not swing it, and back then, you had to fly Memphis, Miami, SJ, then STT, then ferry. Too much for me!
About a year ago, we travelled to STT, but spent all of our time either in the BVI or on STJ. Got really really hooked.
I cannot leave unless I have another trip booked! Right now we are booked for May and I am working on a trip for November.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Husband and I went to STT on a cruise in '88, loved it. Decided to take my Mom and Sis to VI with a stopover in PR for my Mom's b'day in Feb.'89. Our Dad had passed away 6 mo. earlier. We stayed at least 2 nts each in PR, STX, and STT. During our 4 nt stay at Dorothea Bch, we decided to take a day trip to STJ so we could see all of the VI. Of course, we were enthralled. :D

Then took my Mom on a cruise in Aug '92, the day after we left my Mom's 1 yr old car on the pier in Miami, Hurricane Andrew hit. We had the time of our lives, and took a shore excursion to STJ, of course. Didn't know if the car would still be there when we got back, but it was. Just a little sandblasted and the brakes were wet. Miami was a wreck. :cry:

Then decided Husband just had to see STJ,so in '94 we did the BVI and STJ and STT. He got it also. Only thing was we were robbed in our condo on STT. WHILE WE SLEPT. Didn't let that ruin our trip though, one of my credit cards was still secure so we went golfing later on that afternoon at Mahogany Run. The condo was Point Pleasant. :shock:

Bringing our kids and grandkids this time.We are safety and security conscious, but not enough to ruin the wonderful time we are going to have. And planning it is part of the fun! :lol:
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

It's so neat to see how everyone found paradise!

For me, I didn't even want to go. I had never heard of St. John and I am terrible at geography so I didn't even know where it was when SO's daughter decided she was getting married on STJ.

I actually tried to talk them out of it because I HATE to fly, but they had their minds made up.

She got married in late July 2002. We spent our first night at the Holiday Inn on STT then took at taxi to Red Hook, and I remember to this day looking over the rail at the water and not believing that the water was so clear and so turquoise. I thought maybe it was a fluke.

When we got to STJ, I was oblivious to my surroundings for some reason. We got our rental car and went to the Westin. I almost died when we crested that hill that you can't see the bottom of right around there - remember, we are flatlanders so we are not used to those hills. Our first night at the Westin didn't really do anything for me one way or the other, but we are totally not the resort type.

The next day, we drove the North Shore road and when we first rounded the turn where you see Caneel, I could NOT believe how beautiful the water was!!!! I was hooked from then on.

I am NOT a beach person, but I do LOVE the water. I thought the water in Destin, FL. was beautiful till I saw this water not to mention the fact that there was actually something to see when snorkeling other than the sandy bottom :lol: I was starting to like what I saw once we moved to the villa even though the road to it freaked me out!

Our first villa was Hakuna Matata in Catherineburg that we stayed at the rest of the trip and the wedding and reception were there as well. It was truly paradise like I NEVER imagined.

The last day I was really grumpy when we were packing, and I realized it was because I didn't want to leave. I teared up on the ferry and all.

Came back home obsessed, found the forum and worked on getting back. Since then we have been back with my family (all 17 of us) and by ourselves and with Cat and hubby and are going this summer with SO's siblings.

Side note - we were on STJ in late June of 2005 and I can tell you that having just come back from STJ helped me deal with ALOT of the stress we went through after Katrina - just imagining being there helped me escape what was going on here...and CaliforniaGirl was an AWESOME friend through it all as well!!!!

As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that." Oh and sorry I babbled so much!

nothintolose
2FarNorth

Post by 2FarNorth »

We were engaged in August of 2001 and had pretty much had our honeymoon on the Almafi coast all planned out and booked. Then the terrorist attacks happened and we became a bit unsure about travelling to ouside the US. So we cancelled our trip to Italy and our travel agent convinced us to try St. John. That was August 2002 and we have been back 4 times since then. I can't imagine not knowing STJ.

- Kevin
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

When I was about 10 (early 70s), we received a brochure in the mail for Cinnamon Bay Campground. I wanted to go SO badly, but mom and dad opted for Florida instead. Since then it was always in the back of my mind. Fast-forward to 1995 when we planned our honeymoon - I just had to go to StJ! That was it, we were hooked - and you know the rest...
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Well back in 98 we took our first cruise with some friends and one of the stops was STT. I had done research and wanted to go to Trunk well this never happened we ended up shopping half day and going to Coki beach on STT. This is were my love affair with snorkeling and the Caribbean began. Over the next few years we visited many Islands but not St John. Then some friends took there vacation on St John and went on and on how awesome it was. Discovered this forum started plannnig and the rest is history. Been in beach and snorkeling nirvana ever since :D :D :D
Actually glad this is how it went. Seen some other beautiful islands and saved the best for last, don't have to have that it's nice but it's not St John feeling
rloyola

Post by rloyola »

A dear friend of ours had been raving about the island since the mid 80's and we finally relented and visited almost 20 years ago.

Sadly, our friend recently passed away. We have been charged with scattering his ashes with those of his last two dogs (who often swam with him) at Haulover.
RickG

Post by RickG »

From a March 2007 thread: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... sc&start=0

Well, I rode into St. Thomas in the 80s abourd a US Navy Ship (civilian contractor) and spent a couple of days there without visiting St. John. It was okay...

In 1996 I was in a difficult personal situation and decided to get away alone for a week to the islands and figure things out. I ended up staying on Tortola and day-tripping across the BVIs. It was a great week, I made a bunch of friends and spent a full moon at Bomba Shack and Thanksgiving at three different parties on Cane Garden Bay. There was always this beautiful green island in the distance that intrigued me - St. John.

So, in 1997 I took my immediate family and brother-in-law with me to St. John for Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful time, new baby and all. Well, it's been 11 years and 13 trips so far. I took the the extended family with us for Thanksgiving in 2006. Still magical.

Oh, and the solution to the difficult personal situation has been to go to the islands with my lover Christine, whenever I get the chance! Two planned for 2008: Spring break with the kids and November the big people. That new baby is 10 years old and a St. John kid!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI