OT Travel Dilemma - Oh wise forum members please respond!

Travel discussion for St. John
lavender

OT Travel Dilemma - Oh wise forum members please respond!

Post by lavender »

A little background - my daugher's boyfriend's parents own a 2bdrm/2bath rental condo in Marco Island, FL. We are friendly and "know" them but we are by no means best friends. They are lovely people who we see occasionally. When making our plans for this February we inquired if the condo was available for the week we wanted and it was - it was subsequently reserved for us. We were told the paperwork would be sent by the rental agency - we thought good - done deal. The paperwork was sent in late Dec and the rental fee was listed as "0" - with a cleaning fee of $120.00 due to the rental agency. We sent that right away and then subsequently met up with the boyfriends parents and had dinner (our tab). We stated we wanted to settle up for the condo and asked how much we owed them, etc -I only know the rental price as advertised on the web (2000/week). Mrs. Condo Owner had told me earlier in Dec that we were going in under "friends and family" and she wasn't sure about price that was Mr. Condo Owners decision. At any rate dinner winds on and they tell us the charge is zero - zip - nada! I was shocked - and we protested - and they insisted - and now we are in the dilemma! We wanted to "rent" the condo as it is in a location we like to frequent - it is owned by people we know - we thought it would be great for both parties. We didn't want it given to us though - I now feel guilty - they are giving up rental income for us - and they shouldn't be. The other part of this is now I won't feel comfortable about approaching them to rent it again and I am sure we would very well have done that. Their defense is partly that last summer their son was driving my car -with my permission and full knowledge and in fact my insistance - and he was involved in an accident - a chain reaction type deal - not caused by him. I had a pretty good repair bill on my vehicle with a $1000.00 deductible. They said there son cost me 1000.00 and this was the least they could do. I contend however, it was an accident, and kind of life happening, I didn't blame him or hold him responsible in any way and I paid the 1000. knowing I have never ever had to shell out any deductible before and my number was up!

So....what do we do? Go and enjoy their graciousness? Send them the 2000 less cleaning fee in the mail? Try and figure out the real estate agents commission - I believe somewhere between 20-35% and subract that off the price and send them that? Give them a lovely getaway weekend gift certificate? They also go to the condo for a week in April - maybe leave them a generous gift for when they arrive? I just don't know what is appropriate and/or what to do next. Ideas?????
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Enjoy the Free week and maybe buy them a nice vase or bowl that accents the decor of the condo. After your trip, send them a nice Thank you card and tell them that you enjoyed your stay at the condo and would like to reserve it again for next year and that you would like to know how much to send to the rental agency for a deposit.
If they call and tell you it is free, just explain to them that you insist on paying.
augie

Post by augie »

This was so different than how I expected it would unfold!

I agree with Xislandgirl on how you should proceed!

Maybe take them out to dinner again when you get back, and share your pictures of the place with them...
Come see us!
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

What she said. Enjoy it. It's likely that after taxes and real estate commission if you had paid full price their net would be about what the deductible was. I would say it's their way of paying you back without handing their son cash. Enjoy the stay. Buy them a nice gift for the condo as X suggested. If you really like the condo and want to stay again without imposing then just rent it through the Real Estate company next time. My guess would be they have a set number of weeks that they are allowed to take it off the market for friends and family without paying a penalty to the Real Estate Company, and as with most people that have the money for a vacation home, everyday life gets in the way of using it as much as you would like. So they are passing on the week to you.
Enjoy
Jay
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I agree with everyone else - go and enjoy the week. I would, however, leave them something for their week - like a certificate to dinner at a very nice place, maybe with a few extras included and of course a thank you!

Enjoy your time - it seems like your good deed for their son has returned to you! And although it was an accident, it was a good deed you did to pay the deductible!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Go and enjoy the place and their generosity. Do something nice for the condo and/or for them.

Next summer, however, just skip going through them and call the rental agent direct, make like you don't know them. That way you can stay there again, but don't have to deal with feeling awkward about approaching them about it.
Jennifer

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I'm with everyone else; get them something nice for a thank you and write a nice note. However, don't leave your thank you gift in the condo; send or give it to them directly. It would be terrible if other renters or the cleaning crew took the gift! (I know that sounds cynical, but it would be so awkward if they didn't get it.)
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Another in agreement with X.

If they still try to give it away, tell them your feelings and insist that both parties meet halfway. They just may like getting $1,000 cash (or what ever the cost is) from someone they know will treat the place well.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

lavendar - that's very nice and thoughtful of them. These days, it seems less and less likely that people are willing to thank others for their kindness, and that is simply what these folks are doing. You should be proud that your child is dating someone raised by these folks. They're clearly a class act. Consider this good karma that you built up by being kind last summer.

Anyway, I agree with the recommendation to get these folks a nice gift. Do they seem like "spa" people? If so, a nice lavish gift certificate to a luxury spa near their home or vacation residence would be in order. Ask their son if his parents have any hobbies - if so, you could steer your gift in that direction. I think personal gifts are the best.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

How lovely - kind of like paying it forward! The only thing I don't agree with is going around them next time to rent directly through the agency. If your visit comes out, as things very often do, then there may a lot of awkwardness in explaining why you did it that way and there could be hurt feelings. If you want to return, just explain how much you appreciated remembering the accident and their generosity in lending you the condo but that this time you're dealing from an even field and want to be a renter (I'm sure you'll be able to word that much, much better than I did here). If the kids are still seeing each other it's going to be kind of difficult to keep a return trip a secret and as soon as it comes out you'll be in damage control mode - too stressful a way to start or end a nice vacation.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

When we "borrowed" a house in OC NJ in October (owners would not accept any payment) I geared my thank you gift around our visit - a new set of wine glasses, a case of wine, a hurricane vase with replacement candles and a bunch of house stuff like lobster/crab crackers.

In the thank you note, I wrote about our enjoyment while sitting out on the breezy deck drinking wine, etc. (totally true, we were in heaven) The owner's were really touched, or so they said!

Friends of ours own a vacation home (rented much of the season) in New England and they comment on how fast they go thru things like nice dish towels (the motif kind that look so cute), fruit knives, good corkscrews, drinks glasses, etc.

The wife says she doesn't make a trip without restocking and that replacements of those things are an appreciated thank you gift.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

As everyone else says, go and enjoy! Get them a lovely gift. I am sure it is making them feel better about you dishing out the $$ for their son's accident. Perhaps they were uncomfortable with that arrangement and this is their way of evening things up. (I probably would have been if it had been my child driving).
Paula

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Peanuts compared to what you'll be dishing out to their family if your daughter's relationship leads to a wedding. Go rent "Father of the Bride". You'll feel better! :D
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

What Margy Z had said was the first thing that came to my mind. If you haven't seen the movie Pay it Forward -rent it. It would be great if everyone could bring a bit of it into their lives. The other forumites have great suggestions on how to show your appreciation. Enjoying yourselves would be the first step. Have fun!
lavender

Post by lavender »

Thanks so much everyone - I am starting to feel better about this whole thing and a little less conflicted! I think we will go with the generous gift/thank you note/pictures and appreciate their kind gesture. I knew the forum would know what to do!!

ps. loved the comment about the "Father of the Bride".....lol!! How right you are.....