Caribbean Music Suggestions?

Travel discussion for St. John
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

Bluwater,
Friday was the only one! Since he passed all others are secondary. He always picked me out of the crowd and had some kind of comment for me!!
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Last March, Jimmy Buffett had a concert in Anguilla, I really wanted to go, almost had the better half convinced but already bought plane tickets to Florida for a family obligation vacation. Found out he put it out on DVD/CD set. The DVD is great! The concert was on the beach and the crowd was less than 5,000 people. Looked like a lot of fun. I bought it for Mel for Christmas, now he regets not going.
It would be great to take along to St. John.

Sandy
sherban

Jam Band where...?

Post by sherban »

I searched iTunes and Amazon for "Jam Band" and didn't see anything "Virgin-Island-ish"...any ideas?
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

This might be one of those situations where knowing the names of the song might work best for searching for the download.

I searched one of the Jamband hits "VI Genie" and found it available for download here:

http://infinitiproductions.imeem.com/mu ... _vi_genie/

Looks like you might be able to download Jamband and other VI music from here:
http://www.imeem.com/tag/jam%20band/

My personal preference is to avoid the 2007 music. For some reason, the VI went "bubblegum" in 2007...07 music sounds like it was created in a 12 yr old's bedroom on a $19 keyboard. I noticed this across several popular artists, so I guess it is some kind of trend....a bad one. Go back to '05 or earlier to find the good JamBand stuff....when Nick was around. Check out a few of the songs and you'll see what I mean about the difference.
Bluwater
sherban

thnx

Post by sherban »

Cool, thanks Blu, I'll have to sign up and download a couple tunes...Cheers-
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

mrscaptainjay wrote:I have Frontline and it's very good. The song Everlasting Love is my favorite!
That's my favorite Inner Visions cd also. Sherban, of the two you listed, I prefer Street Corner Musician.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Bill W

Island music

Post by Bill W »

One I didn't see mentioned is the "Buena Vista Social Club" album, along with the subsequent albums from Ibrahim Ferrer and Omara Portuondo. I figure STJ is close enough to Cuba for it to be appropriate. Good stuff to listen to while watching a caribbean sunset with a glass of good rum and a cigar.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

One that I like but cannot find on cd (unless I want to pay over $100 on ebay) and/or iTunes is the soundtrack to Club Paradise. It is full of Jimmy Cliff songs and an Elvis Costello song.

Do any of you happen to have it on cd??? If you do, pm me.

I have the album but no record player - plus I want it on my iPod.

nothintolose
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We saw the JamBand at Fred's while on our honeymoon. Great time and great memories!

We were on island during Carnival in 2002 and I think Hubs purchased every CD offered to him. Most of it is really enjoyable listening.
sherban

Island Music Ideas...

Post by sherban »

I ordered the Putumayo Caribbean Party and a couple Inner Visions CDs..still need to log in and download a couple Jam Band tunes to check them out too...

I also thought I'd share a couple quick ideas too-

This is a Fun-ky song with a "latin beat"-
Santana- Amoré (Sexo) (featuring Macy Gray)

I also was thinking that some of my old Gypsy Kings Cds might be appropriate (if I can find them),and maybe a couple Shabba Ranks tunes (Pirates) and some Bob Marley...not that this is Jamaica or anything...but close enough maybe...
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Sound like decisions have been made. Good for you. Hope you like the Putumayo stuff...to me it became infectious and it all started w/ one or 2 of them. I have to agree w/ the Buena Vista Social Club as Bill suggested. And Bob Marley...ahhhh...close enuf for me! Possitive vibrations. He had one of the tightest bands! I recommend Babylon by Bus/Live! Also have a 2 disc Gold set...can't go wrong.ENJOY!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Carolyn wrote:We are big fans of anything "Putumayo" offers. I have more CD's than I can list but you can find real authentic island music performed by island artists in many different genres.
Salsa Around the World is one of my favorites.

You can hear some of the clips here - Salsa Around the World
RD

Post by RD »

sherban -

A CD that was in the villa where we stayed in 2006 that I fell in love with is Eric Stone - Boatsongs Vol. II. You can listen to samples of his songs here: http://www.boatsongs.com/clips.html
RickG

Post by RickG »

The SuperVillains CD Jahmerica is a lot of fun, especially "St. Thomas" and "Maryjane and Jager." Their follow on, Grow Yer Own, was fun as well.

Jimmy Cliff on The Harder They Come.

Throw in some Tuatara for texture.

Plus, everthing that Nothingtolose likes.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

LMAO Rick!!!! I was hoping you were gonna say you had the Club Paradise cd and it's in the mail already :lol:

I was reminded of it in June of 2005 when I was listening to the music in our cab on STT. I was admiring the songs that all sounded familiar and then I realized he was listening to the Club Paradise Soundtrack!

Anyway, I am loving all of the new suggestions!

nothintolose