Airfare from NE?

Travel discussion for St. John
lavender

Airfare from NE?

Post by lavender »

We have a trip planned for April 19th-30th, 2007 and I have been patiently watching airfares from Rochester and Buffalo NY for the last 3 months (everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). We are now 4 1/2 months out and the airfare has consistently been 585RT per person out of Rochester (our preference). It is the flight times I want both ways - connects in Philly - no big layovers etc. There are plenty of seats on the STT flights in and out (last count in round numbers 80 or so). I just want the price to drop some! My target price was 500 or less with all taxes fees etc. Maybe I am being unrealistic? Has anyone got airfare out of the Northeast for 500 or less? Usually we use ff miles so having to pay the big bucks for flights is new to me so of course I want it as cheap as I can! So should I wait a little more or bite the bullet?
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I need to book flights out of Boston for Apr. 30. My feeling is that the prices will come down once people have booked their winter vacations in Jan and Feb. Don't panic yet. For my trip next week, I got $365.00 out of BOS, and right now it's $580.00.
Mark

Post by Mark »

We just returned on Saturday from St.John and we flew American.We purchased our tickets in June and round trip from Boston was $504.00 each. Approx three weeks after we purchased the tickets they had a sale and the price was $304 each.I dont know what sales there are this time of year but that is the range in the summer for fall travel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If you can wait a bit longer, I would wait. Last year I choked early and we paid $400something each rt from Boston. The trip prior to that we waited until three weeks before leaving. We got the flight we wanted for $249 rt. These were June/July flights.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
FrankG

Post by FrankG »

I live near Rochester and fly out of ROC and Buffalo frequently. Just checked Orbitz for your dates and found a USAir flight out of ROC, connecting in Charlotte to San Juan and then Cape Air to St. Thomas for $485.00. Maybe that could fit your plans? Have a Great vacation! I don't get to go until 6-30-07.
lavender

connections

Post by lavender »

I did see the flights connecting through San Juan - we are hoping and are trying to do this on just one connection - Roc to Philly - Philly to STT works great. We have gone through Atl too and would really consider anywhere as long as we had only one connection!
toni

Post by toni »

We fly out of Buffalo. Leaving Sat on USAir through Charlotte to STT and STT to Phil on the return for $489 including taxes. We've also flown United to DC to STT which was a better flight we thought (they had better food :) ) Usually if we can keep it under $500 we're happy. We've done the San Juan routing and don't usually like it as much so we try and avoid it. Are you signed up with travelocity? They tell you about sales, though their day choices can be limited, but at least it gives you a heads up to check the airlines directly. Have fun with the planning!
Toni
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Lavender...

You are working WAY too hard to save a couple of bucks...why not just call up a travel agent and have them put you on their call list???
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have to agree. I call my TA and say this is when I need to be there and this is when I need to come home. Here is my CC number, book when the price is right. I may pay their $8 service charge, but I have always gotten a great deal.
I can't be bothered with all the hassle.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi,

We got lucky one year when flights from Boston dropped for a day in February (we were traveling in November). I think it was US Air and was down to about ~200RT. Actually heard about it while reading this forum and jumped on it. It was gone very quickly as someone thought it was an airline mistake. :lol:

I would continue watching the flights for availability and if they start filling up, then make your purchase; otherwise try to hold off; they may come down after the winter rush.

Good Luck
janet
Genral

Post by Genral »

We fly out of Bradley/Hartford, usually mid-week for the best deals. But as Jayseadee says, keep watching the flight you want for availability.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Make sure that you keep an eye out for seat availability too.
Our friends decided to wait and got into trouble. No seats on our flights, and very expensive on the flight that they finally found.
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

lavender, we'll be on STJ the 19th till the 28th...See ya there.
Steve S

Rochester Flights

Post by Steve S »

This past spring we flew Jet Blue out of Syracuse to San Juan for 99 each way. We picked up a commuter book of 10 one ways STJ to STT on Cape Air for about 850. It worked out to a little under 400 each after taxes. I still have 4 of those one ways left if you are interested.