June or September?

Travel discussion for St. John
Bosco

June or September?

Post by Bosco »

I am new to this Forum.

I stayed at Maho Harmony Studios this past December and would not have had such a wonderful vacation had it not been the things I learned on this site. so, thanks Everyone.

Now I am dreaming of my return (ever since I checked out, of course).

Which do you like better, June or September (weather, crowds, etc.)

Thanks,

Bosco
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have only been once and that was in late June. The weather was great. Very warm, and the water temps were perfect. The pool water was nice too. It was not crowded. Usually just a few people other than us on the beaches. The restaurants were not crowded either. Our villa great room was hot since it had no a/c but the bedrooms were cool as they had a/c. Ceiling fans just circulated the warm air in the great room.
We are going back mid June this year and Im not stressing over anything!
Have fun planning your next adventure!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I have been there twice in June and the weather was perfect!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Sept is the least busy month. But alot of the eat places are closed down. Check out Ruths web site to see what I mean. But you have most of the beaches to your self water is like a bath tub.
Lex

Post by Lex »

September is deep into low season (which also means peak hurricane season). There would be a lot fewer people and some restaurants close for stretches of time between August and October.

We've always avoided the Caribbean during hurricane season. Just too many other months of the year when it's not even a possibility.The odds are greatly against a hurricane hitting the island you're on or affecting travel in that part of the Caribbean at the particular time you'd be there. But one of these years a hurricane will hit and it'll probably be in September.

However--we were on Virgin Gorda this past October, which was deep into low season there, and we just loved how few tourists were around. I saw just how nice hurricane season can be as long as there's no hurricane actually blowing through.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'd only put June ahead of September for two reasons:
1. it is sooner
2. you're less likely to experience a hurricane

But of those two reasons, June being sooner is really the only one that I'd include in my considerations :)

I prefer to be there in the off-season...less crowded is always better, so aside from the fact that it is further from now, I'd go in September.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

we are going late June to July 5 check airfare between June / Sept that may help
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We have been three times in the last week of June and once in the second to last week of July and both were awesome as far as weather and it not being crowded.

My only problem with the last week of June (which is why this summer we are going earlier in June) is that Carnival is the next week and stuff is already going on in Cruz Bay so it's more crowded than normal. I see carnival enough here that I prefer when I get away not to have the crowds.

We choose June over later in the summer now too because of hurricane season...not so much there but here as I don't want someone to have to evacuate with my dog and cat :?

My SO's daughter and her husband and another couple just went in mid-October (still hurricane season) and had wonderful weather and loved that it wasn't so crowded. I think I might consider October over September.

nothintolose
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I went once in September and loved it. Yes, some of the restaurants are closed but you still have many options and it's more like it was about 15 years ago with fewer visitors and beaches to yourself. Just make sure to get the Hurricane Insurance just in case!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I try to avoid peak hurricane season which is August - November even tho technically season begins June 1.

Just not worth it to me to play russian roulette with my much needed vacay like that-- but to each his own!

My advice for best times April 15 - July 15 and Dec 1-15. Only down side to summer is that it's hot, but I like the water tem ps better in June vs. Dec, which was noticably colder. I also like the longer days (more daylight).

This way I can take advantage of lower rental rates and minimize the risk of a major weather disruption.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I've only been in May & November & I loved both. I suspect that I could go anytime and still love it though!

We are heading there in June of 09 due to the school thing and I am hoping it will be great.

November is awesome. We went as late as we could - over thanksgiving week - and really found it not too busy, weather was great, not as hot as May, and not too rainy.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Went in May loved it.
Went in June loved it.
Went in November loved it.
Going in May again know we'll love it.
Guess what I'm saying is whatever you choose your going to love it. As long as ya don't get that nasty H word in Sept as it is in the height of the season.