Going in June. Still no airfare. How long would you wait?

Travel discussion for St. John
chrisn

Going in June. Still no airfare. How long would you wait?

Post by chrisn »

We are arriving on island June 2nd and I still have yet to book our airfare. I know some of you June peeps have had your airfare booked for a while now and I usually do too. Been waiting for a decent price. Last trip we paid $530. The cheapest I've seen so far is $612. This is times 4! :shock:. Would you book at that price? I was hoping I might get a decent price after the first of the year but now I'm just getting nervous about it. How much longer would you be willing to wait? Should I just bite the bullet and book?
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Chrisn we are going to have to know were you are flying from to give you a good answer.
Jay
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

That would help wouldn't it...sorry. Flying out of Salt Lake City so no chance of the low range prices a lot of the east coasters get.
sherban

waiting...

Post by sherban »

I'm an East Coaster, planning to fly out of CLT...and fares are too high for me too...I'm holding out for lower fares, realizing it is a bit of a gamble. Our trip is for late June '08! ...good luck!
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

We are flying out of CLT in June as well. We paid $562, which is exactly what we paid in 2006. We bought ours in September. Right now the same flight is $612, but I've seen it as high as $900. If it were me, I wouldn't hold out too much longer.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Got ours for June 08 out of IAD for $333 R/T. I think I got them back in August? Im also looking for a ticket for 11/08 and they are about the same price out of IAD/DCA. Waiting on the rest of the group and then I'll grab it!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

You east coasters are sooooo lucky! NO direct from Houston. Why can't Cont. fly from IAH to STT?
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

cypressgirl wrote:You east coasters are sooooo lucky! NO direct from Houston. Why can't Cont. fly from IAH to STT?
I agree! They are lucky. We have to spend about 600pp, not direct. If I ever found anything under 500. I would have to jump on it! We have to book early. The prices usually just go up from LEX, unless you are REALLY flexible with the dates.
Image[/url]
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Mine out of IAD are not direct. We have a stop in SJU for 40 mins or so, but do not have to change planes. Last time we changed planes in Atlanta and incurred a 4 hour delay on the way home. We are not completely spoiled!
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Chrisn,
I would say coming from that far west $600 isn't a bad fare. I would probably book then put a fare watcher on Kayak. If the rates do drop allot of the airlines will give you a voucher for the difference but only if you catch it.

As for Charlotte we have never paid more than about $400 round trip and have actually flown for under $300 round trip. If we fly from Charleston WV it is usually in the $600 to $900 range. So it is usually worth the drive to Charlotte for us.
Hope this helps.
Jay
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

We booked for June 08 out of Memphis for $550 inc.tx. back in early Oct. It is a refundable fare with a $100 penalty to change or cancel that we got thru the stjohnusvi.com website.
From Memphis it was only available on Delta. My dau-in-law found it. We figure if something really good comes along that saves us more than $100 per person we could refund and buy it. But it would have to be all the same airline and plenty of connecting time and arrive early into STT. That website takes you to Sabre to make the actual booking. I would do it soon also.

Good Luck.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

P.S. I forgot to mention that you have to carefully examine the fare rules to make sure the fare is refundable if that is what you want.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

booked out of boston on American Airlines Saturday to Saturday is 351 round trip for June 28 to July 5
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Feb. a Sat - Sat AA RT non-stop JFK N.Y. is $267. and good schedule. Now that's reasonable.......
BOB
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

For those on the East Coast that usually fly out of Clt. I have found its somewhat cheaper out of Myrtle Beach. Currently in June 18th - 24th is 277.00. Thats with Spirit and we have never flown with them. But Ive heard good and bad with all the airlines. Happy Hunting..:)
[/url]