What IS that aroma???

Travel discussion for St. John
JT

Post by JT »

Same thing crossed my mind as CG said.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Not sure if everyone is discussing the same scent.

But I ALWAYS get a whiff of a sweet, incensey aroma (pachuli oil-like) by the lower level of the Truck Bay parking lot, close to where the taxis line up.

I asked a couple of NPS employees about it last month. One didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but the other (and her friend) said that it was definitely Bay Rum.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Probably rastas growing some really killer skunk weed :lol: :lol: :lol: I've smelled it too really kind of like the earthy smell of it. I'm going with Liamsaunt idea.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Rachelle & Joe

smells

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Yep! we too smelled it! here at home we get quite a few skunks in the city no less & we alway's thought could it be ? here on STJ ??? but than everywhere i go i seem to smell skunks! they realy spray around here so much! sometimes i actually think & swear there is one in my house! my husband & daughter think i'm Crazy! so i'm glad to hear it is not just my craziness while on STJ! glad some of u smell it too! :lol:
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

I'm pretty sure it isn't skunk we have plenty around here and the smell I 'm thinking of isn't that. I think it is a fermenting veg thing.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

You guys crack me up, I don't remember any smell when I was there, I feel like I'm missing out.

RickG wrote:
"Ahhh, Bay leaves, it rubs the lotion on its body!"
California Girl wrote:
"I just thought someone was growing some real good pot!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my god Verve, the picture you posted... :roll: :lol: :oops:

Pia wrote:
"Certain times of the year there is a really funky smell and I notice that it is at the same time as there are small yellow "fruits" scattered around everywhere - on the road, on the trails etc so I blame them"

Could that be rotting dragon fruit?? Of course that doesn't explain the same smell in NJ?
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
RickG

Post by RickG »

Well, skunk aroma is caused by mercaptan. Mercaptan is a pretty common sulfur compound. One common source is green bottle beer left in the sun too long. The hop oils get broken down by UV light to mercaptans.

Mercaptan, and sulfur compounds in general, are pretty common.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
StJohnRuth

Pam Gaffin comes through!

Post by StJohnRuth »

DRUM ROLL....
In an email, Pam writes:
"According to Eleanor Gibney, the 'skunk cabbage smelling tree' is
Eugenia monticola - a member of the guavaberry family."
THANKS, PAM and ELEANOR!
-Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We smell it every time we're on island along the Northshore Rd., and always between Caneel and Hawksnest. This time we also caught the aroma closer towards Trunk as well. Once we smelled it up on Centerline near the Reef Bay Trail.

It's wicked, we thought for years it was a skunk..........but there are none on Island are there?? I think it's some kind of funky plant, especially since we smell it in the same place everytime.

Glad this was brought up, Mike & I thought we were CRAZY :roll:
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Thanks Ruth!!

Family Myrtaceae -- myrtacées, myrtles
Genus Eugenia L. -- eugenias, stopper, stoppers
Species Eugenia monticola (Sw.) DC. -- birdcherry

so, it's a member of the Myrtle family, called the birdcherry! Now to search for some references to the aroma.....

The search continues...

SteveO.
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EUMO

The link takes you to a photo of the birdcherry. Note the copyright info is from St. John!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Some newbies might be reading this now and thinking "What the heck are these people talking about?!"
Then they'll be at Trunk Bay and they'll smell the aroma and they'll laugh. They'll be so excited, they'll write Trip Reports. With great photos, even.
Boy, we are so smart on this forum. We really know about a lot of good stuff. We'll do research even. (Or, we'll ask Pam.)
-Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I've held off on this post until I got more scientific information (thank you Ruth and others).

I know this smell. The place I sense it the strongest, at certain times, is by Maho. Or, better explained, as you are driving down towards Maho. But, it can be experienced in very unexpected places at random times. It's just that "island" aroma.

I love this smell. It is musky, skunky, damp-ish and absolutely nothing like anything we get here in Wisconsin. It's not something that triggers an allergy attack like musty odors do, which makes it all that much more delicious.

Ohhhhhhh, to be there with that aroma. To smell it now would take me back in a heartbeat. It would be so cool to have someone pump that into my office unexpectedly during my work day.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.