Leaving for Vacation......BUT!!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
sitter

Leaving for Vacation......BUT!!!!

Post by sitter »

Really looking forward for our upcoming vacation in a couple days....BUT....we are very worried if we are gonna even enjoy ourselves!

We are leaving behind a 20YO son who likes to ~smoke~ stuff in our house :evil: ....& a 22YO daughter that has just moved back home after dumping the looser alcaholic boyfriend :twisted: after 7yrs.!!! UGH

Our angelic 17YO daughter will be home for the first week we are gone, but how can we expect HER to babysit her older irresponsible siblings!! :wink:

We are gonna be basket cases our entire trip!! :shock: We could threaten them both with bodily harm....but really can't follow thru with our threats due to the laws.....or duct tape them in the basement....but again...the laws...Bribe them that they can stay with us when we get back???? (but we really want them to leave soon!)
Last edited by sitter on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am sure you will have a great trip.

Why not have one of your friends check up on them regularly while you are gone? Just to make sure they are not burning the house down or having a kegger or something. Maybe that would make you feel more relaxed? Or if you have family nearby they could do the same.

I understand your nervousness. I don't have kids but I remember being that age and the grief I put my parents through. Don't worry, they'll grow out of it. I know I did, and John and I are such good friends with my parents now that we are planning on bringing them with us to St. John next summer! Good luck!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Your being away from home will not change what they do - just where they do it. Make sure they all know that they will be financially responsible for any damage the house may incur while you are gone, and relax on ST. John.
Paula

sea-nile

being away...

Post by sea-nile »

Sitter,
I remember being 17 and my parents went on a week long trip and my sisters went to Grandma's. I was really a good girl, but became very easily influenced by my peers to have a party. I didn't think that the whole school would come and that everyone would drink my parent's liquor amd that the cops would come! If I were you, I would definitely have a friend or relative "check in". You will have a much better time.

We have Grandma watch the teenager when we are gone. :)

Have a great time! It will be really nice to escape this grey Wisconsin weather. Send us a trip report asap and some pictures!
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

I know what you're feeling. Our kids are 20 & 21. The 20 YO is fine but the 21 YO likes to party. We always repeat the "rules" before we leave, but the worry is still there.

Could you talk with them before you go and tell them that your worries are going to ruin your trip (laying a little guilt has worked for me)? This might make them realize that by years they are adults and maybe they could act that way? I'd probably ask someone to drop by to check on things too.

For what it's worth, we haven't had any major problems when we have left them alone.
sitter

Post by sitter »

Well I got mean ole Gramps to come over to check in & the older brother. I will tell the neighbors that we are gonna be gone just in case they see things that shouldn't be.

I have reminded them both that they have a real good place to live tht's cheap, & their Mother takes real good care of them & if they want that to continue, they WILL behave!! And I reminded them that it will be cold here when we get home, so living on the streets will be challenging! :wink:

And the option of putting the house up for sale can happen too....just no leaving ANY of the children our fowarding address! :)
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

Sitter I feel for ya, Put the fear of God & Dad when mine were young. Now in theirs 20's and doing great. Always told mine if you go to jail enjoy the stay because you will be there for awhile. Never had the problem :D

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
Coden

Post by Coden »

We are lucky - we have a State Trooper across the street and a Narcotics cop next door. And I always tell them when we were leaving. No way is anything ever going to happen here! :)

My son, who we left for the first time when he was 19, always enjoyed having the house to himself and never made a mess. We always told him that his was allowed to have his friends over, but No Big Party's! We never came home to a wrecked house. He and his friends love to come over and cook big meals and hang out in the screened in-porch, or in the den and get the comforts of cable and a well stocked pantry, fridge & freezers and liquor cabinet (they are all 23 and above now). They are not going to mess it up by being Stupid!! :lol:

Good luck and enjoy your trip, it will all be fine!!!
Coden
Jo Ann - VA

I feel.............

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I feel your pain sitter. We have the same problem. Our son will be 21 when we go to St John and I am so worried. I even asked him to go with us just so I could rest easy. But of course he response was 'I'd have more fun here while you are gone'.
I just hope he uses his head and doesn't do anything stupid. I hope my house is just like I left it and he hasn't gotten himself in trouble.

I have to ask the neighbors to feed the lab and the cat because I can't depend on him. The welsh terrrier I have to take to my inlaws because she requires more attention than the lab. Sad isn't it.

I was naive thinking that when he turned 18 life would get easier with a teenager. If anything it has gotten worse!

Jo Ann
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
cuddles

Post by cuddles »

Perhaps you could hire an older responsible adult to house sit. The kids probably won't like it but that's their problem...not yours. Then you can relax!
8)
Coden

Post by Coden »

I wanted to add that until our son turned 21, we did not leave liquor in the house for them to drink while we were gone. I just reread my original post and it sure sounds like we did. :oops:
Coden
sitter

Post by sitter »

We leave next week....& I already have all the booze way up in the attic in a ~baby picture box~...they will NEVER go in there!!

I am feeling better now....the trip is getting closer & I am way too excited to worry!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

do you love close to Green Bay If so I'll check on yours if you check on mine in Jan.
sitter

Post by sitter »

Hey Waterguy!!!
That's a DEAL!!! I'm 'bout hour & half from you.

Wait....what are you leaving behind....mine are worse!!
sitter

Post by sitter »

I just solved one of the problems....the 22YO daughter that moved back home last week, has offered to pay 1/2 the trip cost if we let her come down with the 17YO daughter! Good deal!! We reminded her it's her Christmas present! So the last 4 days of our vacation, the two girls will join us on St. John.

:roll: Now we just have to worry about the 20YO son!