Current Best Car Rental Agency

Travel discussion for St. John
St. John Lover

Current Best Car Rental Agency

Post by St. John Lover »

Ok, one last question for this next trip. We used to use Delbert Hill all the time because he was so close to the ferry & you could park in his lot. Of course, now Slimman owns Delbert's lot & they're a block further away & no parking.

So we changed to Penn's. Love them; they're reliable, responsive, lots of parking in town, nice people to deal with.

The PROBLEM: Penn's has become the MOST expensive car rental agency on St. John. They all used to be about the same but this seems to have changed quite substantially over the last year or so.

Details of THE QUESTION: I definitely want to rent from an agency on St. John (rented on STT twice & not a great experience). But I'm wondering at this point whether it wouldn't be better to rent from someone good who's cheaper & has no parking lot. If it's more than a $10 difference, we can just pay Slimman & park in his lot! (Won't be every day as we cook in about 1/2 the time).

Can you please post your favorite St. John car rental agencies & why or give any insights, suggestions, recent experience??

THANK YOU!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

We rented with St. John Car Rental and had no real problems except that you have to be there by 5 p.m. or you can't get your car until the next day, which is a bit inconvenient. Lots of parking and other than that, easy to deal with.

The next time we might go with Conrad Sutton. I've heard lots of good things about them.
Austx

Post by Austx »

We've always gone with Conrad. He's a good guy & having available parking in town is worth a lot to us.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We really like Courtesy and you can park in their lot all day and at night if your car is there before 6 (I think that's the right time).

We used Conrad once with no problems but like Courtesy's lot location better.

Family has used Cool Breeze with no problem but no lot that they knew of.

Cat used L&L and was not pleased with the drop off fiasco.

nothintolose
RickG

Post by RickG »

We love Conrad - 10+ trips. Dependable on STT was a good experiment last trip. But, on STJ, the answer for us is Conrad Sutton.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

We had an excellent experience with Courtesy. It's walking distance to the ferry and you can park in their lot. We never had trouble finding a place to park in Cruz Bay because we could always park there (except at night, when they share the lot with The Front Yard & it gets crowded).

Easy check in and out, absolutely no hassles at all!
hawksnestbay

Bougainvillea Leasing

Post by hawksnestbay »

Good Morning- Have used several different agencies on St John, and our absolute favorite is Bougainvillea Leasing, which is part of Donald Schnells Studio. Eric and Donald are very nice, the cars are clean, and they do have parking if you need it.
Their web adress is www.stjohnjeeps.com
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I agree that the guys at Bougainvillea are fantastic, and the cars are in excellent condition. There are only a couple of parking spaces out front though and they are up the hill from the dock. I kinda dreaded that walk at the end of the day when we parked there.
Not sure where we will rent next time.
Iguanaeddie

Post by Iguanaeddie »

I agree with everything CaliforniaGirl said. I'll add that I was concerned about the sand in the car when we returned it but had no problem with Courtesy. I told the gentleman at Courtesy that his Jeepcam of the drive to Trunk Bay gave me the confidence to drive on the left side. He was very happy to hear that as he had not himself seen the video.
Ed
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Conrad Sutton. Hands down.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

We used Courtesy in July and were very pleased with them. The vehicle was in good condition and you can park on their lot. We'd definitely use them again.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

If you get to the island late, Delbert Hill leaves the keys in the car! Can't beat that! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Conrad Sutton - 3 times running. Love him. Love Carmen. This past trip we had a battery issue that could have happened to anyone and I couldn't have asked for him to handle it any better than he did. We ended up switching out cars.

I was very nice about it all, got a bit of his history (very interesting and sweet man if you are polite) and also he hooked us up and let us keep the car until 12 noon vs the normal 10:30 return time. Saved us a lot of hassle with the mountain of luggage.
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

Thank you all for your input. Courtesy sounds like good people but we really only go into town at night (we're not shoppers but we do like going into town about 1/2 the time to go out to dinner in the evening). So the no parking after 6pm would definitely not work for us). I'll definitely check out St. John Car Rental & Conrad Sutton's as possible options. Thank you again!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

The other girls in our group had trouble with Courtesy, and now I am a little leery of them. Basically, the guy who checked them back in (who was not the guy who'd checked them out) accused them of causing all kinds of damage to the car. Luckily they ended up getting it all figured out and we had plenty of time to still get to the ferry, but it had them very frazzled.