Cell Phone Bill

Travel discussion for St. John
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

If you receive any text alerts on your cell phone, be sure to disable them before vacation so you don't get charged (if applicable). I get them for my commute into work although I guess it would be kind of fun to read about traffic problems back home while sitting on the beach drinking a Red Stripe. 8) I do have a multimedia plan with Cingular but get charged for them if out of the country (e.g. Mexico). I do, however, sign up for flight status notices on my cell phone.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I looked over my bill again and basically the major portion of the bill was roaming which cost $111. They didn't break down the minutes, etc. - a few text messages were sent but the majority of the minutes were used for calls.

If you leave your phone on and it says "roaming" but do not call anyone, can you technically still be charged? I don't think you can but just thought that I would through out the question.
pswlrw

Blackberry Service Cingular

Post by pswlrw »

RickG,

I have a blackberry (or crackberry :wink:) with Cingular. It worked just fine on St. John. Funny thing, the vacation gods must have been watching me, because after day 2 my buttons no longer worked so I couldn't read or respond to any emails!! but service was never a problem. I even called a friend from a boat at the Caves to gloat that we were there and he was not!!
Paula

RickG

Post by RickG »

pswlr, thanks for the Crackberry followup. I did speak with Cingular and should have normal phone and data coverage in the islands.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
grafecks

Post by grafecks »

liamsaunt wrote, "At one point, it was picking up a signal called something like "Boat Satellite Network!"

I have heard that some phones will pick this up towards Zootenvaal down to East End. I have been told that if you pick that up you will be charged a phenomenal fee! I can't remember exactly how much, but something like $20 per minute for the satellite is coming to mind, (don't quote me!) Just be careful.

We have T-Mobile and have never had any charges while we were onl island. I work while we are on vacation, so I use it a lot. Only problem is, when I am on the Northshore to Cruz Bay, I pick up SunComm. Can't get your voice mail from there, goes right to PR. In Coral Bay, we pick up Cingular and have no problems. No roaming, no fees.

Only 8 more weeks and I'll get to try it out again!
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Aren't cell phones, Blackberries, etc., illegal on STJ? Maybe we are wrong about this but if you follow our strategy below then you will prevent extra usage charges showing on your VZW cell phone bill:
  • Pretend you can't get a signal in the VI,
    Tell everyone your cell phone will not work while you are on the island and give them your villa phone number ("call this number and leave a message if you really need to reach us"),
    Turn your cell phone off while stateside,
    Put your cell phone in your luggage upon arriving on STT,
    Do not remove your cell phone from your lugguage until you are boarding your return flight, and
    Do not turn your cell phone on until you land stateside
We guarantee that if you follow these measures then your VZW cell phone bill will not have extra usage charges, and prevent a possible arrest for use of a celluar device while on STJ.
Bob & Anita
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

But Bob, if I do that who will pay for my future vacations. I need my clients to continue reordering and new orders in order to pay. Can't have them going to the competition, just because I want to vacation. That's the problem with a mom and pop business.

The upside is, that it is fun being on vacation, sitting on the beach and getting new orders.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

promoguy wrote:But Bob, if I do that who will pay for my future vacations. I need my clients to continue reordering and new orders in order to pay. Can't have them going to the competition, just because I want to vacation. That's the problem with a mom and pop business.

The upside is, that it is fun being on vacation, sitting on the beach and getting new orders.
As long as you have rum drinks or Carib with you when you are using your cell phone on the beach then you should be fine, the cell phone police shouldn't bother you.
Bob & Anita
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We also have Verizon; didn't make too many calls so hopefully the bill won't be too bad.

We were staying in the Frank Bay area and had spotty coverage; no data service once we left San Juan. On our way through SJU on the way home, I turned it on and had 500 emails downloading :( Reality hits hard.

janet
janet