Two Weeks in Paradise Days 2 &3

Travel discussion for St. John
mrsb

Two Weeks in Paradise Days 2 &3

Post by mrsb »

Forgive me for the lateness and spread out postings of trip reports. We are both buried in work here and I wanted to add pics to the report because I know we all love the pictures!

Day 2 October 21st, Sunday- We got a bit of a late start by our standards. We like to get up at 6 or 7 and then have a nice big breakfast before we head out for the day. Bacon, eggs, toast, orange juice and coffee was our daily breakfast. Usually MrB & I would get rolling around 9 am but Mom & DadB were with us so we arrived at Trunk somewhere around 11.

I'd say maybe 50 people on the beach total. Only one cruise ship in CA this day. We had a lot of rain showers.

Saw lots of huge Tarpon near the cay and tons of fry so thick you could not see anything else sometimes. DadB & MrB had fun snorkeling. My mask kept leaking so I was getting frustrated. MomB does not do "natural bodies of water" as she puts it. She did put the snorkel on and tried for a little bit.

Mom & Dad B

In keeping with our 'we must do two beaches a day' theme we decided to try Maho next.

The water was much cooler here than at Trunk. John went to work playing Robinson Crusoe and breaking open a coconut. I have video of this but it was sideways. Breaking a coconut is a skill you have to acquire I think. There were about 5 boats in the bay. One was a very loud party boat of people.
Looking up at the palms from my back in the ocean.

We did not stay long as a big cloud came in and let out a downpour. See trees swaying!

Stopped at Dolphin market for some provisions, not bad prices for eggs (2.25), bread (2.50), orange juice(4.25), bananas(?) and some hamburger rolls(3.25). I had never been to Dolphin before but I think I like it better than Starfish and the prices seemed to be a little lower too. We stayed at the villa this night and ate in, nice rib roast that MrB had cut into steaks and couscous. Then star gazing and satellite watching. Hot tubbing and pool too.

Day 3 October 22nd, Monday-
What a beautiful day!

Another late-ish start. We went to Little Lameshur today. I climbed up to the ruins to get the requisite picture of the beach through the window.

We snorkeled for a while and saw some angel fish, grunts, lots of sea grass but no turtles yet. MrB found a lobster, no bigger than a crayfish. It was blazing hot on the beach. I mean HOT like I was baking in the oven. MomB & I had to get up every five minutes to cool ourselves in the water. The men stayed in the water and had a ball snorkeling. We had some thunder but only a little sprinkle of rain.

We also saw several deer on the road back here.

So we packed it up and headed back to Cruz bay after a quick clean up at the villa. I could not wait to get a pig sandwich from Sun Dog Cafe. It was not to be because they were closed today for maintenance. Hmm- now we are two for 0 on our favorite restaurants. We went to the Balcony instead, too late for lunch and too early for dinner we had all three of their bar appetizers; Coconut shrimp so sweet and tasty, calamari very tender and hot wings-very hot! It was all good and reasonable price- we had 10 drinks total, 7 beers and 3 sodas and those three apps and it was only about $42. We headed out to the shops, MrB forgot to bring a hat so we got that and one of those bug swatters from St John Spice. No Ruth or Ron there. Stopped at Bouganvilla next- too expensive for me. I just wanted a sun dress or cover up but not for $155! Big Planet was next- they always have good stuff and some deals going on. I did not buy anything today but I am going back to get a dress that is 60% off. Back to the villa pretty early and just chilled on the deck watching the sun go down and the stars come out with rum runners in hand and our island music on the surround sound. So far we are having a great time and even though our favorite eateries were serendipitously closed we got to try two places we have not been and were really happy we did. Tomorrow.. Hawksnest and Gibney. Oh yeah - those damn mosquitoes now. They did not come near me once they saw/heard the bug zapping racket. I want to get at least one! The lemon Eucalyptus oil spray I made is working really well though.
Last edited by mrsb on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When will I see St John again?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

great pictures!
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Thanks ... Great report !
[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

Fun! When are we going back!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Well, I don't think MrB & I can wait an entire year. I'll have to ask him tonight.
When will I see St John again?
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Loved the report, loved the pictures (thanks for labeling them, btw), and it was nice to put a face to the post after watching your star turn on film!

Robin
RickG

Post by RickG »

mrsb wrote:Well, I don't think MrB & I can wait an entire year. I'll have to ask him tonight.
We'll be on island March 14-22 (Jazz Fest!). The week of November 1 is looking good for us for Fall. I hate to miss it, but I need to hang with kids for Halloween ever few years.

Cheers, RickG
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Great report and pictures! Love the yellow beach outfit!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks for the report! Great pictures!!!
Image[/url]
MrB

Post by MrB »

Ksea wrote:Great report and pictures! Love the yellow beach outfit!
Just to be clear, that's my Mom....not my wife. ;)
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great report and pics!

RickG - look out for our women on the beach gang next year in November!
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Thanks for the tr & the pics! Looking forward to more!
Chet

Re: Two Weeks in Paradise Days 2 &3

Post by Chet »

...we decided to try Maho next.
sigh
We went to Little Lameshur...
heavy sigh
RickG

Post by RickG »

sea-nile wrote:Great report and pics!

RickG - look out for our women on the beach gang next year in November!
I'm ready to ride that pony again!

Cheers, RickG
JC

Post by JC »

We'll be on island March 14-22
Hey Rick...Ron & I will be on island March 5-26! We always plan around the Blues Festival!!! Can't wait! We'll have to hook up for a cocktail...or five... :lol:

Jen
111 & Counting...

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"